Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sep 19, 2011

Every time I come to these forums an annoying pop-up now appears inviting me to...something or other, and I can't find any way to dismiss it. I would rather not have pop-ups at all but if we must have them, I'd like them to have the customary "X" where I can click to get rid of them.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

[Edited at 2011-09-19 12:27 GMT]

Nathaniel2
Nathaniel2
Local time: 05:38
Slovak to English
I've noticed this as well Sep 19, 2011

and generally I click elsewhere and the pop-up disappears. But I agree, it is annoying and I'd rather not have it appear anywhere, but my first response to any of this type of pop-up, where on this site or elsewhere, is to not even view it but to get rid of it as fast as possible. Which may be the opposite result sought by the advertiser.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I see it too Sep 19, 2011

Tom in London wrote:
Every time I come to these forums an annoying pop-up now appears inviting me to...something or other, and I can't find any way to dismiss it.

Yesterday it was squarish and obscured the first post in the list, but today it is long rectangle shaped and obscures only part of the breadcrumbs at the top of the list. I also found the lack of an "x" to "Close" link weird.

Nathaniel2 wrote:
Generally I click elsewhere and the pop-up disappears.

It doesn't disappear for me when I click somewhere else.

[Edited at 2011-09-19 12:39 GMT]

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Adblock Sep 19, 2011

I haven't seen anything on this site, but I use Adblock. It seems to deal with all pop-ups in a way I like (I don't want any). You can configure it as you wish.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
not here Sep 19, 2011

I have all kinds of adblockers and pop-up stoppers but these ones on Proz.com seem to be getting through.

People dislike pop-ups because they're an unwanted intrusion. I hope these ones will disappear soon!

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I too have Adblock Sep 19, 2011

matt robinson wrote:

I haven't seen anything on this site, but I use Adblock. It seems to deal with all pop-ups in a way I like (I don't want any). You can configure it as you wish.

and I still see this unnerving pop-up.

Could we please get rid of it?

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Bug? Sep 19, 2011

I noticed that the square that reads, "Have you read about any upcoming event..." was encroaching on the top posts the other day. I submitted a support request with a screenshot and heard that developers are working on a fix.

So if this thread is about this "pop-up", it is unintentional and will hopefully be solved soon.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 23:38
SITE STAFF
There shouldn't be any popup ads Sep 19, 2011

There shouldn't be any such popup ads in the forums.

It sounds like a bug that was introduced last week in the way the "ProZ.com translation news" box is displayed in the forum. This bug should have been fixed already, but it may be persisting for some users. If you are seeing the translation news box positioned over the top of other page content, please try clearing your browser's ca
... See more
There shouldn't be any such popup ads in the forums.

It sounds like a bug that was introduced last week in the way the "ProZ.com translation news" box is displayed in the forum. This bug should have been fixed already, but it may be persisting for some users. If you are seeing the translation news box positioned over the top of other page content, please try clearing your browser's cache (see this Wikipedia article on clearing your cache).

If this doesn't solve the problem, or if you are seeing some other popup ad, please submit a support request and include a screenshot to help ProZ.com staff troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks,

Jason
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying new pop-up (Staff: checking)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »