https://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/28877-img_src%3D_images_newgif_border%3D0_new%3A_advanced_search_option_for_prozcom_forums.html

New: Advanced search option for ProZ.com forums
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 11:16
SITE FOUNDER
Jan 28, 2005

We have developed an advanced search option for the ProZ.com forums. To access it, use the search box at the upper right of forums pages. The search window under the menu bar to the left of each page does not point directly to the advanced search option for forums.

The forum search option is also provided under the "Community" menu. Finally, here is the direct link, for bookmarking th
... See more
We have developed an advanced search option for the ProZ.com forums. To access it, use the search box at the upper right of forums pages. The search window under the menu bar to the left of each page does not point directly to the advanced search option for forums.

The forum search option is also provided under the "Community" menu. Finally, here is the direct link, for bookmarking the advanced forum search at http://proz.com/forumsearch

Our goal with this feature is to give members a good way to tap the industry knowledge accummulated in the more than 200,000 posts made in our forums--the busiest translator forums on the internet--over the past 3.5 years. The function is available to all platinum and non-platinum members.

Please let us know, by posting in reply to this topic, how we did. Suggestions, also posted in reply to this topic, would be welcome!
Collapse

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:16
English to French
+ ...
Bravo! Jan 28, 2005

Henry wrote:

We have developed an advanced search option for the ProZ.com forums. did. Suggestions, also posted in reply to this topic, would be welcome!

Suggestions will follow, but I thinkit is a rich, comfortable and clever idea.

Claudette

[Edited at 2005-01-28 15:19]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kudoz to Henry and Proz Jan 28, 2005

Henry,

You have the classiest translator site on the net. You continue to be head and shoulders above the rest. All you have done is a combination of common sense, enthusiasm and hard work.

Maximum kudoz for Henry and Proz!

Edward

Carolina Carabecho
Carolina Carabecho  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
¡¡Muchas gracias, Henry!! Jan 28, 2005

Thank you very much!! It is just GREAT!!
Asimenia

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fiú.... Jan 28, 2005

For some reason ( ) many prozians come to me to help them find 'this posting' or 'that one'. Some times the 'search' feature was either too time consuming or useless.

This is a very useful feature.

Thank you, guys!

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Some questions/suggestions Jan 28, 2005

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the advanced search. It looks like I won't need Google to search the forums anymore.

The forum search option is also provided under the "Community" menu.

Where exactly is it? I can't see the option in the menu.

The "Search forums" box on the "Recent Forum Posts" page (http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewrecent) points to the general search function, just like the Search box on the left under the menu. I think the old Forums search should be replaced, because it's quite confusing.

Due to technical limitations, the advanced search can not find words 3 letters or smaller. - Could you lower the limit to 2 letters? This way it won't be possible to search for words like PDF, which is one of the frequent topics in the technical forums.

What exactly happens when you enter search strings into more than one search box? How are the search conditions combined?

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
really very fast! Jan 28, 2005

Thks!

Toledo

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
yes indeed Jan 28, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Hi Henry,

- Could you lower the limit to 2 letters? This way it won't be possible to search for words like PDF, which is one of the frequent topics in the technical forum...

all extensions has 3 letters. Like INI, DTD, DTP, DOC, etc

very important for detailed searches

Rgds

[Edited at 2005-01-28 23:21]

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:16
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
thank you very much Jan 29, 2005

This is great. I really appreciate it. For some time now, I was bookmarking all useful forum threads I encountered and my ProZ bookmark archive had grown so much that I was facing difficulties in finding some links in it I am still astonished at the sheer volume of useful information in the ProZ forums. This tool will be very useful. And it is fast!

I think this new search option will benefit all members but especiall
... See more
This is great. I really appreciate it. For some time now, I was bookmarking all useful forum threads I encountered and my ProZ bookmark archive had grown so much that I was facing difficulties in finding some links in it I am still astonished at the sheer volume of useful information in the ProZ forums. This tool will be very useful. And it is fast!

I think this new search option will benefit all members but especially new members. Maybe this feature should be displayed/announced in a more prominent way on the home page of ProZ.

It would be useful to give a link to this search feature under the main search window.

While it would be nice to lower the search limit to 2 letters (if possible), I discovered a way of finding some of the references to file extensions like "pdf". For example, I type "pdf file" or "pdf document" in the "Search for this exact phrase:" box and then refine the search to the forum fields I want and / or refine the search by using another word (such as "edit") in the "Search for all of these words:" box - this method isn't perfect but it can be helpful.
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Thank you so much! Jan 29, 2005

Toledo wrote:

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Hi Henry,

- Could you lower the limit to 2 letters? This way it won't be possible to search for words like PDF, which is one of the frequent topics in the technical forum...

all extensions has 3 letters. Like INI, DTD, DTP, DOC, etc

very important for detailed searches

Rgds

[Edited at 2005-01-28 23:21]

When searching the forums or the glossaries for short words or extensions, I insert a space before and after the word/extension I am looking for and voilà! (Au's tip)

I have already tried and bookmarked the direct link. Faster indeed!

Thanks so much!!!

Cheers,
Andrea

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Praise for this feature + query about search operators Jan 30, 2005

It is great to be able to search the forums in their entirety at last, and not be limited to a list of 100 results.

I just want to query whether the search operators are working as intended? I was expecting that an "Exact Phrase" in combination with keywords in the "Any of These Words" field would return only those postings which contained BOTH the exact phrase AND one of the keywords. It seems to operate on an either/or basis at the moment. The more fields you use, the more result
... See more
It is great to be able to search the forums in their entirety at last, and not be limited to a list of 100 results.

I just want to query whether the search operators are working as intended? I was expecting that an "Exact Phrase" in combination with keywords in the "Any of These Words" field would return only those postings which contained BOTH the exact phrase AND one of the keywords. It seems to operate on an either/or basis at the moment. The more fields you use, the more results you get.

Could this be refined so that additional query elements always narrow the search? Another thought is that a "search within results" option would be useful.

Thanks for making this major improvement to the site!

Deborah Shannon
Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
Saving settings Jan 31, 2005

Hi Henry

Many congratulations on this new initiative. Proz really is the best of the best.
Just one thing (and forgive me if I've overlooked something obvious): I can't seem to get my settings saved from one session to another. Can you help?
Also: what does the "Download KudozNet" link refer to?

Best

Barnaby

[Edited at 2005-01-31 17:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New: Advanced search option for ProZ.com forums

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »