Translators without languages?
Thread poster: Christel Zipfel

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Mar 2

It seems now possible to register here without indicating any languages. I notice this sometimes in the forum where no languages in/from which posters translate are stated.
For a translators' site, I find this is rather strange.

What do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I think it's always been like that Mar 2

I seem to have been coming across such people since registering here in 2007. It is odd though. And not helpful when people ask questions.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
it's ok Mar 3

Consider it as a mere (newbie) user who doesn't provide any services via ProZ, nor wants notifications.

Actually I also thought about deleting my language pairs, but I quite often use them for filtering)

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
I don't think it's odd. Mar 3

I'm sure there are plenty of people on this site who have an interest in translating without being actively involved in it.

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
No rules about profile pages Mar 3

Christel Zipfel wrote:

It seems now possible to register here without indicating any languages. I notice this sometimes in the forum where no languages in/from which posters translate are stated.
For a translators' site, I find this is rather strange.

What do you think?

They can be 100% truthful, 100% untruthful, somewhere in between or even completely blank. Every profile page represents a (potential) paying customer and everyone is welcome to sign up.

Texte Style
Local time: 17:44
French to English
Not everyone is a translator Mar 4

I know several people who have created a profile and who are not working as translators. Mostly people working in CAT development. They come to check out what's going on with other CAT tools, what people think of their latest version, etc.

While I am a translation and have stated my language pair, my profile is very low-key because I don't come to Proz to look for work, just to hang out with other translators and keep up with what's going on in the world of translation. There's just enough information in case somebody does want to give me a job, to be sure I won't be offered something I can't do. Not that it's ever happened, I only get generic offers that must have been sent to everyone in my pair.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators without languages?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search