American military term
Thread poster: jsetbon

Local time: 11:27
Hebrew to English
Feb 8, 2006

How do we say a tank soldier in American military lingo?


two2tango  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try the KudoZ section Feb 8, 2006

Hi colleague,

Welcome to the forums of the site, the real core of the great ProZian community.

For terminology issues you should visit the KudoZ section, second option of the menu above. There you will find great glossaries that will solve many of your doubts. I they fail to deliver, then you can ask KudoZ qustions and get help from our community.

Kind regards,


United States
Local time: 01:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
Tanker Feb 9, 2006


The common term in the US Army for a soldier assigned to an armor unit and who also is normally a crew member of a tank is "tanker."

Exception is that soldiers assigned to armored cavalry units (which conduct reconnaissance and screening missions ahead of an advancing main force) are called "troopers."

Armor and cavalry units, BTW, have their own distinctive hierarchy of names for their types of units, below.

Armor: Cavalry:

Company Troop

Battalion Squadron

Brigade Regiment

(When I was a staff officer in the light armor battalion of the 82d Airborne Division, the division's cavalry squadron was based right down the road from us.)


Hope this helps.


Stephen H. Franke
English Arabic, Kurdish and Persian
San Pedro, California, USA


Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
German to English
Tankers Feb 9, 2006

Hello jsetbon, please consider Enrique's comment for future questions like this. English (monolingual) is the best place for questions about the English language.

Hello Stephen,

and would you agree that the formal term is armor crewman?

Former member of
Headquarters Troop, 3rd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment
Amberg, Germany
PFC Kim Metzger (retired)

[Edited at 2006-02-09 21:00]

[Edited at 2006-02-09 21:01]


United States
Local time: 01:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
OK that "Armor crewman" is formal name, but armor Soldiers prefer just "tankers." Feb 14, 2006



Re... and would you agree that the formal term is "armor crewman?"

ANS: OK with me and agree that "armor crewman" is the proper formal name. That said, armor soldiers seem to prefer to refer to themselves as just "tankers" (other than soldiers serving in armored cavalry units, who prefer the appellation of "troopers").

Just saw some online photos of a change of command ceremony at a US Army armored cavalry unit stationed and operating in Iraq.
Everyone in the formation was wearing traditional cavalry items of spurs, wide leather cavalry belts with oval-shaped "US" buckles, and black stetsons.




To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

American military term

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search