CAT tool for use on 2 computers at the same time
Thread poster: Julia Esrom

Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:52
German to English
+ ...
May 1, 2008

I am currently using Trados Freelance and am actually quite happy with it, believe it or not. One feature I don't like is that I cannot use the software on two computers that use one internet connection. As far as I understand, it is possible to use Trados on two computers but not at the same time unless you want to dish out lots of extra money for an upgrade to the professional version. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Now I am researching alternative options. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:52
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
If you have licence for 2 computers May 1, 2008

you can use Trados on both, however is you use Freelance version if both computers are in one network one of them will work in demo mode. From what I heard it's Trados way of preventing agencies from buying Freelance version.
I guess that the best option would be to buy Wordfast for the other computer - or even for both as Wordfast not only does not have this limitation but even allows you to have one central term base (of course Trados also gives such possibility but it comes at a hefty price).

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
OmegaT May 2, 2008

http://www.omegat.org

Being Free/Open Source Software, you can install it on as many computers as you like.
Heck, if you have a server on your network, or share files across computers, you can even have both machines working on the same project and simultaneously sharing the same translation memory files.
And it's FREE.
Oh, and it runs on any platform (Win, Mac or Linux).

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:52
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Wordfast, MemQ, Metatexis, AidTransStudio, Swordfish… May 2, 2008

Try them out. And yes, OmegaT is the one that is full-featured with no limitation on usage.

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM exchange between Trados and Omega? May 2, 2008

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

http://www.omegat.org

Being Free/Open Source Software, you can install it on as many computers as you like.
Heck, if you have a server on your network, or share files across computers, you can even have both machines working on the same project and simultaneously sharing the same translation memory files.
And it's FREE.
Oh, and it runs on any platform (Win, Mac or Linux).

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. Anthony, do you know if it is possible to export a TM in Trados format or simple .txt format to allow exchange between Trados and Omega?

cheers
Julia

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
What's your workflow? May 2, 2008

Julia Esrom wrote:

I am currently using Trados Freelance and am actually quite happy with it, believe it or not. One feature I don't like is that I cannot use the software on two computers that use one internet connection.

Hi Julia,

That's not strictly true: you can't use Trados on both computers at the same time but you can certainly install and license the program on two computers that you have hooked up in a LAN. That's precisely what I, and many other Trados users, actually do.

This means we can work on our desktop, say, and then copy the updated TMs across the network to our laptop for use when we go on our travels, and of course for backup. If you want to use the second copy of Trados, all you have to do is close the instance on the first computer. If you don't, Trados will detect it over the network and tell you to do so.

But quite honestly, I've never felt the need to have two copies of the program open at the same time. After all, I've only got one pair of hands!

With DVX, my other CAT tool, I have to transfer a physical device (dongle) from one computer to another to use the program, which isn't a great solution if you're like me and tend to forget where you leave things.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you are happy with Trados, the problem is probably that you simply haven't yet settled on a satisfactory workflow.

FWIW, my routine at the end of every session is to reorganise the TMs I have used, export them to .txt and save both the text files (which can be used with a previous version of Trados I still have on an old laptop in case of total disaster) and the five Trados memory files to the same folders on my second computer, as well as to an external HDD. When I'm travelling, I use a pen drive for temporary backup and synchronise the files when I get home.

HTH

Giles

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:52
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TMX May 2, 2008

is the only option for exchange between Trados and OmegaT.

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
four hands! May 2, 2008

Giles Watson wrote:

After all, I've only got one pair of hands!

Giles

No worries about the workflow here. We are in fact talking about two computers and two people working on Trados or any other CAT tool at the same time - that makes four hands!

It looks like there are a few options to explore and try out. Thanks again for all your input. Happy translating!

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:52
English to Spanish
Share TMs! May 3, 2008

Hi,

If you have two computers on the same network, you can use Swordfish in both at the same time and have four hands sharing the same TM. That will increase your productivity when translating related files.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not sure I understand May 5, 2008

Julia Esrom wrote:
One feature I don't like is that I cannot use the software on two computers that use one internet connection.

I'm not a Trados user, but how would Trados know whether the computer its on has internet access? You don't use Trados to access the internet, do you? So why should Trados be permitted to be aware of anything on your computer that is irrelevant to its own operation?

How about this (not sure if this will work): install a virtual manager such as VirtualBox, then install Windows on it, the install Trados on it, then activate "guest extensions" in VirtualBox which will allow you to integrate the virtual machine with your host machine near-seamlessly.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Four hands = 2 users = 2 licences May 5, 2008

Julia Esrom wrote:
We are in fact talking about two computers and two people working on Trados or any other CAT tool at the same time - that makes four hands!

If you have two users, you should have to licences for Trados. Right?

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Trados / OmegaT interchange not lossless May 5, 2008

esperantisto wrote:
TMX is the only option for exchange between Trados and OmegaT.

I rather doubt if the exchange between Trados and OmegaT would be lossless. Trados has variable placeables that OmegaT doesn't have, and OmegaT has formatting tags that Trados doesn't have. If you translate an HTML file in Trados, then export the TM to TMX and put the original HTML file in OmegaT along with the exported TMX file, the HTML file will not autotranslate (not even manually).

Well, I'm guessing, of course, but I'm pretty sure.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Two Trados Freelance... May 20, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Julia Esrom wrote:
One feature I don't like is that I cannot use the software on two computers that use one internet connection.

I'm not a Trados user, but how would Trados know whether the computer its on has internet access? You don't use Trados to access the internet, do you? So why should Trados be permitted to be aware of anything on your computer that is irrelevant to its own operation?

Trados doesn't check the Internet connection.
It checks the NetBIOS name of the network and broadcasts it's presence on this network, so you can run multiple Trados FL instances on a PHYSICAL network if the logical (NEtBIOS) names are different.

Of course, you can't share TMs with Trados FL, so it's not very productive...

How about this (not sure if this will work): install a virtual manager such as VirtualBox, then install Windows on it, the install Trados on it, then activate "guest extensions" in VirtualBox which will allow you to integrate the virtual machine with your host machine near-seamlessly.

I never used VirtualBox but I loooove the virtualization...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-05-20 22:28]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Two licences... May 20, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Julia Esrom wrote:
We are in fact talking about two computers and two people working on Trados or any other CAT tool at the same time - that makes four hands!

If you have two users, you should have to licences for Trados. Right?

Yes.
You should add "for Trados Professional" if you want to share TMs.

The termbase sharing is another problem.

Cheers
GG

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Professional May 21, 2008

Hey GG,

Sounds like your suggestion to go with Trados Professional would be the best option. Many users may disagree, but Trados is more use to me than other (cheaper) CAT tools.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
J

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tool for use on 2 computers at the same time

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search