Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Anti-virus and anti-spam software - your recommendations?
Thread poster: Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 08:22
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I now have a strange problem with NOD - anybody know what to do? Jul 15, 2008

Hello again, I'm the original poster here, and I seem to have a problem.

My NOD32 subscription has expired a couple of weeks ago. I tried to renew it a few days past the expiration date, but could not (every time I tried, it gave me "incorrect username or password" message). It must have been set up to delete your info from their system once you missed the deadline to pay for the renewal.

I decided to uninstall NOD and to replace it with AVAST (it's free, and a few pe
... See more
Hello again, I'm the original poster here, and I seem to have a problem.

My NOD32 subscription has expired a couple of weeks ago. I tried to renew it a few days past the expiration date, but could not (every time I tried, it gave me "incorrect username or password" message). It must have been set up to delete your info from their system once you missed the deadline to pay for the renewal.

I decided to uninstall NOD and to replace it with AVAST (it's free, and a few people recommend it). So, I click on "Start" and then on "uninstall" and, as soon as I do it, I loose my damn internet connection! Bummer... Is it extortion tactic on their part?

So, I go to "System restore" and go to 5/31/08 and restore my system to that point. The internet connection is back, but I'm back to square one: I have NOD for an anti-virus and it's not up-to-date, and now I can't either update it or get rid of it.

I tried to use "add/remove programs", but when I try to remove NOD with it, I get a message "114 Setup.xml file is damaged or missing". Whatever it means.

Well, I worried that I had no virus check lately, so I downloaded AVAST and ran a virus check. A couple of viruses found and deleted - so far, so good; but now, I end up having two anti-viruses... they say it's a big no-no. Should I uninstall AVAST, since NOD seems to retaliate by disconnecting me from the internet when I try to uninstall it?

I thought I'd be smart and just restore my system to the point before I purchased NOD (about a year ago). Well - can't do that, either - the latest restore point available is 4/30/08.

I really don't know what to do at this point. Certainly don't want to loose my internet connection (that's my lifeline), don't want to run the risk of having two anti-viruses or not having an up-to-date anti-virus (sorry, Ivana, I'm still not that brave...)

Any of computer gurus out there know what to do? Thanks!
Collapse

Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:22
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
NOD32 Jul 15, 2008

Hi,
I also recommend NOD32. They do have excellent telephone support service. When I downloaded the software, they phoned me(!) to tell me that all I needed was the upgrade instead of the full software so it was cheaper.
You don't get much better customer service than this these days!
Cheerio,
Kathleen.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Check your accounts, as ... Jul 16, 2008

... sometimes, they take the money out of your account automatically if you don't specifically tell them that you don't want to renew! Just in case. Although that doesn't seem to have happened in your case, I admit.

I have no experience of NOD32 directly, but you should be able to uninstall it easy enough either through the control panel, or it may have a separate uninstall option from your start menu. Then, you should probabl
... See more
... sometimes, they take the money out of your account automatically if you don't specifically tell them that you don't want to renew! Just in case. Although that doesn't seem to have happened in your case, I admit.

I have no experience of NOD32 directly, but you should be able to uninstall it easy enough either through the control panel, or it may have a separate uninstall option from your start menu. Then, you should probably reboot the computer after a major (un)installation like that. In fact the system usually recommends you do this straight away for all the changes to take proper effect.

I would hazard a guess and say that the internet connection is cut as a precaution (maybe???), since you should definitely NOT surf the WWW without some sort of protection. But on the reboot, you might find it has miraculously come back again.

Then you can install the new A-V program of your choice.

Sysytem restores and all that is going a bit far perhaps: I have run two different A-V programs on the same computer (specifically Norton 360 / Spyware Doctor and Norton 360 / Avast) without any apparent conflict. What you should not do I believe is have two or more firewalls running together as that would definitely cause some sort of conflict.

Good luck with it anyway, perhaps some other kindly soul who knows about NOD can pick up the thread from here...anti-virus programs can be as insidious as the very things they are (supposedly) designed to protect you from.
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 08:22
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, John Paul Jul 16, 2008

Your answer was very thorough. However, I already did exactly as you have recommended: uninstalled from the Start menu and rebooted the system - and my internet connection did NOT miraculously come back again.

System restore might be a bit far off, but this was the only thing that brought the connection back. But it also brought NOD back, and now I'm stuck with it!

But you saying that two anti-viruses will not kill my computer makes me feel a little better. Thank y
... See more
Your answer was very thorough. However, I already did exactly as you have recommended: uninstalled from the Start menu and rebooted the system - and my internet connection did NOT miraculously come back again.

System restore might be a bit far off, but this was the only thing that brought the connection back. But it also brought NOD back, and now I'm stuck with it!

But you saying that two anti-viruses will not kill my computer makes me feel a little better. Thank you!
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
In that case... Jul 17, 2008

Hi Alexandra, sorry I wasn't of more help. But in your case as you describe it, perhaps you should contact NOD directly, through a live chat if possible, to see if they can resolve the situation: in the most drastic of scenarios, they may be able to take 'remote control' of your computer to pinpoint the problem, assuming you are okay with them to do that for you.

On the other hand, they might wash their hands of the whole thing, since you are not technically in subscription with the
... See more
Hi Alexandra, sorry I wasn't of more help. But in your case as you describe it, perhaps you should contact NOD directly, through a live chat if possible, to see if they can resolve the situation: in the most drastic of scenarios, they may be able to take 'remote control' of your computer to pinpoint the problem, assuming you are okay with them to do that for you.

On the other hand, they might wash their hands of the whole thing, since you are not technically in subscription with them any more. If I were in your shoes, though, I'd be pretty fuming about it: there seems to be a direct link.

Other than that I can only suggest going back to the control panel, selecting the NOD program (as if you were going to uninstall it) and see if it gives you an option to repair; you never know, there might be a file or whatever that needs "fixing" first. And then try to uninstall it.

In any event, taking software off your computer should never amount to such complicated stuff as this: I "uninstalled" Norton the other week - and I am still finding some of their stuff on my system...and probably will for some time!

I hope the cavalry arrives soon

And as for the 2 anti-viruses running together, that's only my understanding, mind. But it never seemed to do my system any harm. In fact, between the two, one or the other will (hopefully) pick up everything that falls throught the net, so to speak. The "Two firefalls will conflict with each other" thang I got from Microsoft, so I assume (?) they know what they are talking about!

Que lo resuelvas pronto.
JP.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anti-virus and anti-spam software - your recommendations?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »