Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it worth upgrading to TRADOS 6.0?
Thread poster: Anaviva
Anaviva  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:48
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2003

Hi everyone.

I'm sure that I'm not the first to ask this question (I've tried searching the ProZ forums but haven't managed to find anything). Has anyone upgraded from TRADOS 5.5 Freelance to version 6? If so, is it worth it?

I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Ana


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:48
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
There is some discussion on the Trados users group site Jun 18, 2003

I see no one is taking up the challenge of this discussion so far. I too am wondering if I should go for Trados "limited time offer" to upgrade. The only place I found some discussion of this topic is in the Trados users group. Here is the link. Enter "upgrade" in the Search box.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tw_users/

Good luck deciding,
Carolyn

[Edited at 2003-06-18 20:26]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:48
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Maybe? Jun 18, 2003

I upgraded through the early bird promotion...but after trying hard to get used to Trados I only use it for marketing purposes ("I have Trados!" I gain from Trados'good reputation, as a license holder).

The good thing is that it works, but if I had ver. 5.5 it would propably work as well. The sad thing is that I think that Wordfast is better equipped for my normal days of translating; in Word...:)

Back to the question: I do not think the new version had a lot of improvements. I noticed better alignment functions, TM maintenance "serch and replace" and other minor improvements. What I also read was the compatibility with Trados Server (that most likely is the main reason to switch if many of your customer use Trados).

On the other hand, many users still use ver. 3...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:48
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Not sure yet... Jun 18, 2003

Hello Carolyn,
I upgraded to Trados 6.0 about a month ago and I have not seen any differences at all (comparing to Trados 5.5). I am still wondering if the money I paid to upgrade it(195 USD plus shipping) was worth it...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes without any limitation Jun 19, 2003

Because I´m working with a language (Polish), which caused major problems in earleir versions of Trados. Due to the full Unicode support in the Workbench 6.0 most of those problems belong to the past. I cannot defintely say, that there are no problems, but in this one special case I have had them, they were for 99% related to the Word file I get for translation.
As I paid only something about 65 EURo for the upgrade, it was worth any cent I spent on it.

Kind regards
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
English to French
Vicious circle Jun 27, 2003

Trados, first one to develop something decent, did a sh*t load of marketing and became "industry standard". Your customers (who seldom even know there are other tools) ask you to buy trados. You buy Trados, not because it's the best tool for your job, but because it's a marketing edge toward your customers who have been sold to the "industry standard".

Then Trados releases a new version with new format encryption (encryption is the reason why you can't open a newer versions TM, btw. Nothing to do with "improvements")

As it is encrypted, you have to buy the new version, or loose your marketing edge, which was the main reason you got it in the first place, because you are now branded as working with an "obsolete, incompatible software", although practically it's much of the same ol', all the way since 3.

Sticking with Trados means that year after year, you will have to get overpriced "updates" and by using it, reinforce the idea that this is "industry standard".

Technically - and in regards to user's satisfaction - there are no further reasons why Trados should maintain it's monopoly. It might have deserved it back then, but IMO, it doesn't deserve it no more.

For the price of the Trados update you could get a fully fledged CAT software of comparable - if not better - quality, and free updates.

I don't think any of us does really benefit from Trados' control over the market.
First, as long as the 'industry standard' myth exist, we have a hard time to choose which tools we want to work with (After all, that should left to us to decide how we work, not to our customers), and second that "industry standard" is seriously lacking in many areas, including support.

Besides, Trados customers are notorious for asking cheaper rates based on matching, and are encouraged to do so by Trados itself (That's how they market themselves to corporate customers)

Maybe it's about time we ask them to either become technically competitive again and care for our needs, or be gone.

If people just go ahead and buy the updates every year, they will see no reasons to invest in actually developping new stuff. Can you believe that some of Trados code is still full of wordbasic commands? That predicts a hell of a fun when the next Word versions come around.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Paul Berthelot  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
depends on your OS Oct 9, 2003

I tried to install the trial on my w98 laptop, and...it says i can\'t make it work there, when dejavu x worked on it (trial).

So upgrade if you don\'t have w98 as the only os possible (as i have).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
English to German
+ ...
Win 98 SE? Oct 9, 2003

Hi Paul,
Paul Berthelot wrote:

I tried to install the trial on my w98 laptop, and...it says i can't make it work there, when dejavu x worked on it (trial).
So upgrade if you don't have w98 as the only os possible (as i have).


Are you using Win98 Second Edition? The systems requirements for T6.5 clearly state that it will run on Win98SE.

Best regards, Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Daniel Hradilak  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:48
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados 6 vs 6.5 Oct 21, 2003

Lemster and Paul Berthelot wrote:



I tried to install the trial on my w98 laptop, and...



The systems requirements for T6.5 clearly state that it will run on Win98SE.



The requirements of Trados 6 do not include W98 but those for Trados 6.5 include W98SE - perhaps this is the reason for the rapid release of the new (6.5) version.



Daniel


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
English to German
+ ...
Correction Oct 22, 2003

Dhrad wrote:

Lemster and Paul Berthelot wrote:

I tried to install the trial on my w98 laptop, and...

Note that I did not post this.

The systems requirements for T6.5 clearly state that it will run on Win98SE.

The requirements of Trados 6 do not include W98 but those for Trados 6.5 include W98SE - perhaps this is the reason for the rapid release of the new (6.5) version.

Daniel

Er - not quite. I have the installation CD for Trados 6, and it clearly states "Windows 98 (Second Edition). Admittedly, this is the LSP version, but the core software elements should be identical.

Best regards, Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I see the things different Oct 22, 2003

sylver wrote:
...
Then Trados releases a new version with new format encryption (encryption is the reason why you can't open a newer versions TM, btw. Nothing to do with "improvements")


Sorry, but this is wrong. There are major changes in the behaviour of Trados since the 3.0 version was released. Not only the funcionality of Workbench was increased, but new tools were developed. You do not seem to know lot about them...


As it is encrypted, you have to buy the new version, or loose your marketing edge, which was the main reason you got it in the first place, because you are now branded as working with an "obsolete, incompatible software", although practically it's much of the same ol', all the way since 3.

Sticking with Trados means that year after year, you will have to get overpriced "updates" and by using it, reinforce the idea that this is "industry standard".


This is wrong too, the upgrade prices are not that high. OK, this is a bit curious this year with the release of 6.0 in the spring and now 6.5 in the fall and asking old 6.0 customers to pay for an upgrade. But on the other hand you can get this upgrade for as much as 39,00 EUR - which is definitely not to much. After the release of version 5.0 I was elligible for updating to 5.5 for free.
Your argument with obsolete software does not matter to me, as we all have to upgrade all software - MS Office, Framemaker and so on, as our customers do so too. And Trados 3.0 is not compatible with any new Office release anymore. You have to upgrade not because it is "industrial standard", but simply because it will perhaps not work anymore on your new PC with newer Office or OS or anything else.


Technically - and in regards to user's satisfaction - there are no further reasons why Trados should maintain it's monopoly. It might have deserved it back then, but IMO, it doesn't deserve it no more.
...


Well, perhaps it does not deserve to maintain the monoply, OK. But on the other hand please show me another software, where you can work with such a big variety of formats, as you can using Trados. I tried various other tools - but have not found them to be anyhow better than Trados is. All of them have their strong and their week sides.
So far my oppinion on this.

Kind regards
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Frank Jensen  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:48
Member (2013)
English to Danish
+ ...
Upgrade to 6 or not.... Oct 22, 2003

Hi Ana



I really depends on what type of assignments you make. If you work for some of the big customer like Microsoft you will have to upgrade for next round of Office or Windows. (which will be trados 6.5 (november) or 7).



I you work a lot with terminology management (multiterm) you should upgrade too.



Otherwise you already have a lot of the main functionality like T-window for Excel and PPT which is real additions since Trados 3 and in my opinion does not need to upgrade yet. Workbench has seen some management improvement but nothing substantial.



In short - wait for a substantial improvement - perhaps Trados 7



Hope this help you a bit....



Frank













On 2003-06-18 13:34, Ana D. wrote:



Hi everyone.



I\'m sure that I\'m not the first to ask this question (I\'ve tried searching the ProZ forums but haven\'t managed to find anything). Has anyone upgraded from TRADOS 5.5 Freelance to version 6? If so, is it worth it?



I\'d be grateful for any feedback.



Thanks



Ana



Direct link Reply with quote
 

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 02:48
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

MODERATOR
Thanks Frank Nov 4, 2003

Frank Jensen wrote:


Otherwise you already have a lot of the main functionality like T-window for Excel and PPT which is real additions since Trados 3 and in my opinion does not need to upgrade yet. Workbench has seen some management improvement but nothing substantial.

In short - wait for a substantial improvement - perhaps Trados 7

Hope this help you a bit....

Frank



Thanks, Frank, you helped me anyway.
Have a great day !

N.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it worth upgrading to TRADOS 6.0?

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search