Product Comparison - Trados, Wordfast and Fusion 3.0
Thread poster: Bryan Montpetit
Bryan Montpetit
Bryan Montpetit
Local time: 22:17
English
Jan 22, 2009

Good day,

I'm evaluating multiple CAT tools at the moment and was wondering if anyone could provide some general opinions on solution to use when translating Office Documents - DOC, PPT, XLS in 2003 or 2007 formats.

The solutions I'm looking at are the following...
... See more
Good day,

I'm evaluating multiple CAT tools at the moment and was wondering if anyone could provide some general opinions on solution to use when translating Office Documents - DOC, PPT, XLS in 2003 or 2007 formats.

The solutions I'm looking at are the following...

SDL TRADOS ( www.sdl.com )
Wordfast ( www.wordfast.com )
Fusion 3.0 ( www.juvefusiontech.com )

They are all integrated into the word environment. Except, I believe wordfast with their latest version(?)... Fusion allows translation in native office environments for all formats...

Does anyone care to share personal experience or opinions? Opinions about on going costs also help!

Cheers
B
Collapse

Chris Phillips
Chris Phillips  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:17
Swedish to English
+ ...
CAT tools Jan 23, 2009

Hi Bryan,

I am SDL Trados Certified and use Trados on a daily basis. It is still the most used CAT tool on the market and has everything and more than you need.

Although it has been a while since I used Wordfast, I still have a little soft spot for this tool. The learning curve is a lot easier than Trados and a lot cheaper. For new comers to the CAT world this is definitely worth a look.

I haven't tested Fusion so I can't comment.

A tool that
... See more
Hi Bryan,

I am SDL Trados Certified and use Trados on a daily basis. It is still the most used CAT tool on the market and has everything and more than you need.

Although it has been a while since I used Wordfast, I still have a little soft spot for this tool. The learning curve is a lot easier than Trados and a lot cheaper. For new comers to the CAT world this is definitely worth a look.

I haven't tested Fusion so I can't comment.

A tool that is gaining a lot of interest in my eyes is MemoQ. OK, if you are only looking for a tool where you can translate directly in Word then this won't help but do take a look as part of your comparison. We are slowly moving everything over to MemoQ.

Most tools do have a free demo. Pick a Word file and translate it in the demo version of 3 or 4 tools and see what works best for you.

Good luck in your search.

/Chris
Collapse

Bryan Montpetit
Bryan Montpetit
Local time: 22:17
English
TOPIC STARTER
CAT Tools Feb 3, 2009

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate hearing the opinions of those using the tools. Glad to hear that your SDL Trados Certified. I'm an ex-SDL'er myself so the question was more related to the comparison of technology, so I thank you having taken the time to answer.

It seems that Wordfast does have a nice userbase and does have that price advantage... granted as you said - and we both know - SDL Trados has all the bells and whistles.

Fusion thou
... See more
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate hearing the opinions of those using the tools. Glad to hear that your SDL Trados Certified. I'm an ex-SDL'er myself so the question was more related to the comparison of technology, so I thank you having taken the time to answer.

It seems that Wordfast does have a nice userbase and does have that price advantage... granted as you said - and we both know - SDL Trados has all the bells and whistles.

Fusion though seems to have an increased interest as well - price point is comparable to that of Wordfast and it is word-based. So I'm sure it has it's place as well.

Thank you. I appreciate the thoughts.

Cheers
Bryan
Collapse

Susan Zimmer
Susan Zimmer
United States
Local time: 01:17
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Wordfast Pro 6.0 or Trados 200(9?)? Feb 5, 2009

I'm thinking about investing in TRADOS, because one of my clients tells me they will slowly switch from delivering WORD docs for translation to TTX files. I work with Wordfast. I've been reading up on Trados and have read that TTX files will be a thing of the past to be replaced by XLIFF in the next Trados release. I know Wordfast Pro 6.0 will also soon include XLIFF files and now has its own TXML options, so I'm a bit uncertain about making this large investment in Trados or continue to rely on... See more
I'm thinking about investing in TRADOS, because one of my clients tells me they will slowly switch from delivering WORD docs for translation to TTX files. I work with Wordfast. I've been reading up on Trados and have read that TTX files will be a thing of the past to be replaced by XLIFF in the next Trados release. I know Wordfast Pro 6.0 will also soon include XLIFF files and now has its own TXML options, so I'm a bit uncertain about making this large investment in Trados or continue to rely on my Wordfast. I especially am hesitant about purchasing the Trados 2007 version, if it will be outdated in a few months.
Any comments welcome.
Does anyone know when the new version is scheduled for release?

Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Product Comparison - Trados, Wordfast and Fusion 3.0

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »