Eva H  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:09
Member (2008)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 16, 2010

Hello,

What would you suggest as a very user-friendly CAT tool? I work on a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.8. I would use it for translations, usually in Word, from English, French and German into Hungarian. (I would not like to install any other software, like Parallels, etc.).

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Direct link Reply with quote

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:09
German to Spanish
+ ...
CAT Tools for MacBook Pro Jan 17, 2010

Take a look here and may be here.

Henry Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:09
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Wordfast Pro Jan 17, 2010

There's a demo version you could test on your Mac:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

xxxGrayson Morr  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:09
Dutch to English
Swordfish Jan 18, 2010

Hi Eva, I've recently started a 30-day trial of Swordfish (version two), and I'm quite pleased with it so far. The developer is more than helpful; I've asked about four questions in the past two days in the Yahoo! Groups forum for Swordfish support, and he answered every one within a few hours. And the product itself is a pleasure to use, and reasonably well documented.

I also gave OmegaT a spin a year or so ago, but the inability to edit the glossary on the fly killed what I see as the main advantage of CAT tools: building a glossary of all those terms you spend hours researching so you can get the right nuance in the right context (or the right legalspeak in the right country).

ETA: I have a MacBook running 10.5.8.

[Edited at 2010-01-18 16:17 GMT]

Monique Rojkind  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Swordfish II Jan 19, 2010

I have also recently started the 30 say trial and I love Swordfish II.
It is an incredibly helpful tool and I think it will help me increase my business, so I will definitely be purchasing the license.

Eva H  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your ideas! Jan 21, 2010

Hi All,

I really appreciate your help. I will try out Swordfish and OmegaT. Although I understand Wordfast is the most comprehensive CAT tool, I hesitate because it has too many features, and it requires a significant amount of training which is not in proportion with my present needs. Maybe one day...

Best regards,

Eva

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:09
Italian to English
+ ...
Learning/using a CAT tool... Jan 21, 2010

Eva H wrote:

...Although I understand Wordfast is the most comprehensive CAT tool, I hesitate because it has too many features, and it requires a significant amount of training which is not in proportion with my present needs. Maybe one day...

Best regards,

Eva

Actually, Wordfast is no more difficult to learn than Swordfish or OmegaT, if you've worked with a CAT tool before. It's pretty intuitive.

If this is your first time working with a CAT tool, expect a bit of a learning curve for any of the tools.

R.
==

[Edited at 2010-01-21 14:12 GMT]

Eva H  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, it will be my very first time working with a CAT tool Jan 21, 2010

Eva H wrote:

...Although I understand Wordfast is the most comprehensive CAT tool, I hesitate because it has too many features, and it requires a significant amount of training which is not in proportion with my present needs. Maybe one day...

Best regards,

Eva

Actually, Wordfast is no more difficult to learn than Swordfish or OmegaT, if you've worked with a CAT tool before. It's pretty intuitive.

If this is your first time working with a CAT tool, expect a bit of a learning curve for any of the tools.

R.
==

[Edited at 2010-01-21 14:12 GMT] [/quote]

Hi Rick,

It will be my very first time working with a CAT tool, this is what I meant when I wrote I would like to work with a "very user-friendly" tool...

[Edited at 2010-01-21 14:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-01-21 15:00 GMT]

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tag settings in swordfish? Jun 20, 2010

Hi, I am trying swordfish and I am more than willing to change form Trados (and PC) to this tool and stick to Mac. However I have a doubt. I've been reading the manual for swordfish and checking on Internet and could not find an answer to hot to adjust the tag settings (ini file in Trados) with this program.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!
Paula

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:09
English to Spanish
.ini files not needed Jun 21, 2010

Hi,

You don't need Trados .ini files when working with Swordfish.

Regards,
Rodolfo

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:09
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
I disagree Jun 22, 2010

Rick Henry wrote:

Actually, Wordfast is no more difficult to learn than Swordfish or OmegaT,

Learning OmegaT requires 5 minutes (reading the start-up guide displayed when the program launches). Wordfast Pro has more features, thus requires more time.

Wordfast is the most comprehensive CAT tool

I really doubt, there is “the most comprehensive CAT tool” at all. I prefer OmegaT for its flexibility and transferability. You can put all the stuff, i.e., the program, the Java Runtime Environment, projects, on a USB flash drive and immediately start working anywhere, where an operating computer with a USB port is available.

Well, just try all options to see what suits you.

One more program that should run on Mac is Anaphraseus. Although still in beta state, it can be used for certain projects, if you understand its limitations.

BTW, most translators have several CAT programs for various situations. I have all three mentioned in this post

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tools for MacBook Pro

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search