Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:26
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 29, 2004

Hello colleagues!

I am currently looking into buying a TM Tool. SDLX is my favourite so far. It seems user-friendliest.

On www.sdlintl.com, the site of the makers of SDLX, I just had to learn that a new version is still starting from $595 only.

Do you know of any current group sales where I could buy SDLX for a reduced price?

I am also curious to read latest opinions on which tool is best (I know there are many entries in the forum on this topic. But recently Fusion came out. And I haven't seen much about Deja Vu in the forum so far...).

Thank you for any input.

Stefanie

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
You gotta be kidding! Feb 29, 2004

sundari wrote:
am currently looking into buying a TM Tool. SDLX is my favourite so far. It seems user-friendliest.
[...][/quote]

SDLX has a lot of wonderful qualities but being user-friendly is not one of them.

I am also curious to read latest opinions on which tool is best (I know there are many entries in the forum on this topic. But recently Fusion came out.

You don't say anything about what your needs are. If you translate only Word docs, the nicest -- and cheapest -- CAT tool is Wordfast (it also has more capabilities with the free PlusTools, but I switch over to Trados instead of learning the circumvoluted procedures to follow to handle other formats).

Fusion is by far the best for terminology (making a dictionary is incredibly simple) and editing your TMs. Overall, it is very nice. There are still a few kinks to iron out and the Tag Editor functionalities to develop.

Wordfast, Trados and Fusion are all based on MS-Word and their TMs are all mutually compatible. SDLX is a standalone application. I've learned it but don't like it at all.

Note: Sundari, I just realized you work with Chinese. In that case, SDLX is the obvious choice. For Western languages, what I said still stands.

[Edited at 2004-02-29 19:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM Tool group sale?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search