https://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/201764-anyone_heard_of_an_upcoming_trados_upgrade_version_soon.html

Anyone heard of an upcoming Trados upgrade version soon ?
Thread poster: Lothaire Lemaistre
Lothaire Lemaistre
Lothaire Lemaistre
France
Local time: 21:59
English to French
+ ...
Jun 24, 2011

hello everyone,

I was considering buying the Trados Suite 2009 Freelance (Plus) edition lately. So I had a look at SDL's site and was, at first, pleased to see there is a very huge rebate of 350 euro offered until the end of the month. It is tagged 525 instead of 875 euro on the shop section of the site (however, the comparison page st
... See more
hello everyone,

I was considering buying the Trados Suite 2009 Freelance (Plus) edition lately. So I had a look at SDL's site and was, at first, pleased to see there is a very huge rebate of 350 euro offered until the end of the month. It is tagged 525 instead of 875 euro on the shop section of the site (however, the comparison page states 795 euro ???) http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio/#tab2

After a few minutes, I was wondering if this was not a sort of last action in order to sold more 2009 licences... before the release of a major version upgrade and new (and probably much more expensive) licences.
A 2 years lifecycle seems reasonable, and after T2007, S2009... something like S2011 seems logic.

So my question is, has anyone heard something about an upcoming new release to confirm my thought ?

Indeed, I can easily imagine that they want to sell a couple extra cheap 2009 versions before the same customers come back to upgrade their version.
By the way, would it mean the definitive end of support of the still very popular T2007 or will it still be included in the package ? It might be a strike to force the 2007 afficionados to finally upgrade (compare with Microsoft's strategy to make XP definitely obsolete even though it is still the leading OS version in corporate environment).

My point of view is that if I buy a licence (the cost of the copy being almost neglictable compared to the total cost) for their software, I certainly would want one that lasts as long as possible with optimal support conditions. Thus, I might prefer to spend more for a new version with long term support than to buy a lower price (but still expensive) software that I might have to replace within 2 years. This, of course, without taking the into account the reality of the market, because most of my customers are still usnig T2007 and will probably be using it until the last possible moment. A gap of two versions between them and I may lead to additionnal problems.

[Modifié le 2011-06-24 07:39 GMT]
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:59
Spanish to French
+ ...
a good time to buy Jun 25, 2011

Hi Lothaire,

I've upgraded about 2 weeks ago. I am usually a kind of conservative guy in that sense (I bought my latest desktop in 2009 with WinXP).
Take a look at SDL 2009. It has 3 service packs and many updates since then. This gives you a general idea of how many bugs need to be fixed when you buy a recently launched product. Of course, some translators have no choice bc their clients request the new version, but if you're in no hurry, you can buy the 2009 version and take
... See more
Hi Lothaire,

I've upgraded about 2 weeks ago. I am usually a kind of conservative guy in that sense (I bought my latest desktop in 2009 with WinXP).
Take a look at SDL 2009. It has 3 service packs and many updates since then. This gives you a general idea of how many bugs need to be fixed when you buy a recently launched product. Of course, some translators have no choice bc their clients request the new version, but if you're in no hurry, you can buy the 2009 version and take advantage of the sale, and upgrade when the 2011 release (whose launch has been indeed hinted to by SDL staff during the webinars) looks stabler.

[Edited at 2011-06-25 01:27 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Studio 2011 Jun 26, 2011

Studio 2011 is indeed on its way, currently in Beta stage and will be released later this year. There will be many new features as well as enhancements to the existing ones.

Lothaire Lemaistre
Lothaire Lemaistre
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the answers Jun 27, 2011

Hello,

thanks to both of you for the useful answers. This confirms my thought about a last minute rebate.

Nicolas' view makes much sense to me. As I noted above too, a difference of two major versions between me and most of my customer might cause some compatibility issues (which are numerous enough at the moment, despite the many workarounds). But above all, I might prefer a stable version to the latest trend. This makes even more sense that this is also the position h
... See more
Hello,

thanks to both of you for the useful answers. This confirms my thought about a last minute rebate.

Nicolas' view makes much sense to me. As I noted above too, a difference of two major versions between me and most of my customer might cause some compatibility issues (which are numerous enough at the moment, despite the many workarounds). But above all, I might prefer a stable version to the latest trend. This makes even more sense that this is also the position held by a majority of IT Managers who will only migrate to a new environnement when its stability has made its proves. So I guess I will migrate to Studio 2011 when some of my customers will have done so, what would maybe happen some time after a 2013 release

Indeed, when I consider that Studio 2009 is up to 3 service packs (which are each a compilation of dozens of bug fixes), it only can call distrust about the stability of a freshly developed version. This is, by the way, my main point of criticism about this CAT tool. Stability and efficiency are the spine of our occupation and we should not have to spend hours on trying to bypass a bug in our workflow. This point is much more important than the implementation of new non-essential features. The lack of stability is a real threat that I have alas often experienced, were it with recently released CAT tools or even with the latest MS Office upgrades or draftly designed add-ons.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AFAIK the version is fairly stable now Jun 27, 2011

If you buy a support contract, the upgrade will be for free within, so I indeed would buy Studio 2009 and an PSMA as addition. This way you will never have to pay for an upgrade anymore.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone heard of an upcoming Trados upgrade version soon ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »