Dell XPS or Vostro
Thread poster: Wouter Vanhees

Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm planning on investing in a new laptop in the near future and Dell is on top of my list right now. However, I'm not sure whether I should go for a Vostro 3750 or XPS 17. Does anyone have any experience with either model? Or would you have better suggestions than Dell?

FYI, I'm looking for a 17,3" screen, Intell Core i7 with at least 2.20GHz (or better), 8 GB of RAM and minimum 500 GB memory. It should be a fast and stable system, but I'm not planning on using it for gaming or heavy graphic applications for instance.

Thanks for your input!

Wouter

Direct link Reply with quote

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Hi Wouter Oct 18, 2011

I was in exactly the same situation and opted for the vostro, though I went with their most basic processor. The XPS is essentially a gaming computer, but I believe I considered it because it offered higher resolution screens. I'm perfectly happy with the standard vostro screen though, and otherwise I have no further complaints, except that it's slightly noisier than my old Vostro (not the fan, but some other 'processor' noise or something). Having said that, the noise is only audible in a completely silent room, so not really an issue (at the moment the (super-silent) dishwasher is on in the kitchen behind me, 'drowning' out the noise of the laptop!). So go for the vostro!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would look for a different brand completely Oct 18, 2011

Dell might seem to be a good choice, but...
I have one Vostro 1310 here and am not satisfied with it. The only real advantage of this system was its price three years ago. But the quality is poor - the screen is the worst I've ever had. You can see something there only if sitting directly in front of the laptop with the screen properly opened. When trying to use in airplane the screen cannot be folded back enough to see the screen clearly. So the colors on the screen and the readability are bad then. When asked Dell I was told, that this is fairly normal. The overall performance (CoreDuo 2,8 GHz - the top processor 3 years ago) was ok, but only this.
Now I have bought me a Vaio VPC-Z12 with i7. Of course this is no comparison regarding the processor speed and the brand of the laptop does not matter here. But the overall quality is far superior to the Dell. And the screen is simply marvelous.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Agree Oct 18, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
But the overall quality is far superior to the Dell.

Agree, although the price levels are a bit different too.

I've seen a Dell that had to be bent over a table edge to start up, so I'd be cautious.

I can't complain about the ProBook series by HP. I've had one since 1.5 years and the price/power ratio (Intel i5, 4 GB RAM) is very reasonable.

Some points to consider:
- 7,200 rpm HDD instead of the conventional (and slow) 5,400 rpm HDD
- independent (not integrated) graphic card

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Price question Oct 18, 2011

A laptop is an investment for more than one year.
So I would really look for buying something being able to serve me for 3+ years.
This is how I chosen the Vaio.
A quite expensive machine with 256 GB SSD HDDs, i7 2,66 GHz and 6 GB RAM with full HD 13" screen.
Running Win 7 Ultimate it is an optimal machine for traveling - very powerful with even more speed than my desktop and the ability to use SDL Trados Studio 2011 in convenient way due to the high resolution screen. On top the machine is just 1,48 kg heavy - such lightweight laptop is not available by any other brand.
But the topic starter is looking on the opposite end, 17". In this field the Vaios are much cheaper.
I could also recommend to look at Sony refurbished Vaios. You can get a machine sometimes for just as much as 50% of the previous price.

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Question for Jerzy Oct 18, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

A laptop is an investment for more than one year.
So I would really look for buying something being able to serve me for 3+ years.
This is how I chosen the Vaio.
A quite expensive machine with 256 GB SSD HDDs, i7 2,66 GHz and 6 GB RAM with full HD 13" screen.
Running Win 7 Ultimate it is an optimal machine for traveling - very powerful with even more speed than my desktop and the ability to use SDL Trados Studio 2011 in convenient way due to the high resolution screen. On top the machine is just 1,48 kg heavy - such lightweight laptop is not available by any other brand.
But the topic starter is looking on the opposite end, 17". In this field the Vaios are much cheaper.
I could also recommend to look at Sony refurbished Vaios. You can get a machine sometimes for just as much as 50% of the previous price.

Hello Jerzy,

Just a quick question - sorry for hijacking your thread, Wouter. How did you set up your keyboard shortcuts in Trados with this rather small keyboard? Do you travel with an external keyboard?

I am also looking at buying a new laptop right now. I have been using a 19 inch monster, which is crazy for traveling. It's simply not convenient and much too heavy. I couldn't even store it under the seat in an airplane. My next laptop should be either a 15 incher or a light 17 incher. I will mainly use it at home with an external screen, keyboard and mouse, but I also want to be able to travel with it in a convenient way and use it without all the external hardware.

Thanks for starting this thread, Wouter. It came at the right time for me and I will be following it closely.

Stefanie

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"Not available" Oct 18, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

On top the machine is just 1,48 kg heavy - such lightweight laptop is not available by any other brand.

That's not quite true.
My Toshiba R700 (13" screen, full-voltage core i5, optical drive etc.) weighs exactly the same as your vaio, give or take a few grams (3.2 lbs according to Toshiba).
The Samsung 900X3A (13", core i5, no optical drive) weighs 1.31 kg, the 11-inch macbook air is 1.08 kg, the 13-inch air is 1.35, the Thinkpad X220 is around 1.3 as well.
If you include the boatload of low-voltage "ultrabooks" that are landing on our shores right about now, there must be around a dozen 12- and 13-inch laptops lighter than 1.5 kg. (Acer S3 and Toshiba Z830 are both around 1.1-1.3 kg etc.)

I'm sure the vaio is a great machine, but there is nothing unique about it. For me, the high-quality screen is not worth the massive extra cost over a Toshiba or a Lenovo. After all, I'm a translator, not a graphic designer.

Other than that, I agree with Jerzy: I find that the best machine for a somewhat mobile freelance translator/interpreter is a high-quality, fairly high-end 13" laptop. At home, you can have an external monitor, keyboard and mouse hooked up to a docking station. As you get home, you drop the computer in the dock and you have a full-featured office setup ready to go (make sure the laptop has a docking port on the bottom before you buy it).

[Edited at 2011-10-18 13:24 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Shortcuts in Studio are configurable Oct 18, 2011

So I did change them accordingly - now I use the same shortcuts on laptop and desktop.
The keyboard of my Vaio is in fact not that small and thus convenient to work with.
At home I use a Logitech illuminated keyboard, which also uses the short hub keys.

For home use I would buy me a docking station.

For all users in Germany: I would not buy any laptop, I just lease it. This is fully tax deductible and does not cost that much. I mean paying 2,500 EUR in one sum is quite a hard decision, but when it comes to pay 86 EUR per month, that does not hurt that much anymore. --> www.weblease.de

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Docking station Oct 18, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
So I did change them accordingly - now I use the same shortcuts on laptop and desktop.
The keyboard of my Vaio is in fact not that small and thus convenient to work with.
At home I use a Logitech illuminated keyboard, which also uses the short hub keys.

Ah, ok. I guess I would simply have to spend some time to figure out good key combinations, then configure them and get used to them. I normally use the additional num pad and the set of Ins, Del, PageUp, etc. keys in Workbench and Studio, and I was afraid that there would be lots of re-configuring and lots of getting used to if I change to other shortcuts.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
For home use I would buy me a docking station.

Yes! I've been wanting to do that. I will shop around to see what's there on the market. Maybe I will simply use a very convenient 13 inch travel laptop with a super machine that I dock to two big screens at home. That should be nice. Any recommendations for a docking station?

Jerzy Czopik wrote:For all users in Germany: I would not buy any laptop, I just lease it. This is fully tax deductible and does not cost that much. I mean paying 2,500 EUR in one sum is quite a hard decision, but when it comes to pay 86 EUR per month, that does not hurt that much anymore. --> www.weblease.de

Strange, the site doesn't open. It says "Auflistung in Verzeichnis verweigert". I will try again later or search for leasing information on other sites.

Stefanie

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The address seems to have changed Oct 18, 2011

http://www.weblease-europe.com/

And as for the shortcuts: that is really not so complicated in Studio. However it works not for Workbench, so I use then the Fn key on laptop, if necessary - but since 2009 it is not necessary anymore, Studio replaced Workbench in work to 100%.

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Another thread Oct 18, 2011

Thanks for the link, Jerzy. And, as always, for your excellent help.

Wouter, here is another recent thread that discusses Dell computers with 17 inch screens. You might find it interesting: http://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/205525-new_laptop.html

Stefanie

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Andras Oct 18, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
Other than that, I agree with Jerzy: I find that the best machine for a somewhat mobile freelance translator/interpreter is a high-quality, fairly high-end 13" laptop. At home, you can have an external monitor, keyboard and mouse hooked up to a docking station. As you get home, you drop the computer in the dock and you have a full-featured office setup ready to go (make sure the laptop has a docking port on the bottom before you buy it).

Hello Andras,

The smallest screen size I ever worked with was 15.4", which I found ok at that time. In the meantime I became used to two 19" screens, so I will have to re-adjust to the smaller screen size during travels.

The thing is that I spend about 2 to 3 months per year away from my home office, i.e. without the big screens and the external keyboard. Isn't the 13" a bit small as a sole screen for roughly a fifth of my working time? What is your experience? I tend to go for a 15.4" machine again, even if it means half a kilo more.

And finally: Do you have any advice on a good docking station? What brands are good? What price tag am I looking at?

Thanks!

Stefanie

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Docking station must fit your laptop Oct 18, 2011

So the best option is to buy the same brand. TBH I would not know of the existence of universal docking stations.
As for the small screen (13"): I have 22 and 21 inches at home side by side.
Nevertheless on the way I prefer the 13" due to its lightweight. With full HD resolution you get enough on one screen to work with.

@Andras: sorry, I did not really realize that Toshiba or Samsung would also have so light computers.
But you cannot honestly compare Macbook Air to anything else. The first impression is: GREAT, that is what I want! But after a closer look my impression is: stay away! If you say I pay much for the Vaio brand, so this applies twice that much to Apple.

Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
13" screen Oct 18, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Nevertheless on the way I prefer the 13" due to its lightweight. With full HD resolution you get enough on one screen to work with.

Wow, I never thought a 13" screen would be big enough for working in Studio (my main working environment at the moment). Are you really able to work on this small machine and have a satisfactory display of everything you need? Without having to use a magnifying glass?

I guess I will get some hands-on experience by playing around with a 13" laptop in the computer store. Such a small laptop would be lovely for my travels.

Thanks again!

Stefanie

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No magnifying glass necessary Oct 18, 2011

When you use the laptop keyboard, the screen is nearer.
And of course it is a bit more difficult to work, as I need to have TM view, term recognition view and editor view on one screen instead of two, but due to the possibility to rearrange windows I can use the width of the screen - and with this high resolution and marvelous quality of the screen (not only important for graphics designer) it is possible.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dell XPS or Vostro

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search