Canada
Local time: 04:46
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Feb 19, 2012

Hello all,

I just lost my post... so here I go again

I've read the recent posts on laptops here, including the rest All-In-One (and I'm looking forward to replies on that!)

In 2009 I bought a Dell XPS M1530 for $2500 CAD, to succeed the Dell Inspiron 5150 I bought in 2004 for $2100~ CAD. I loved that Inspiron. The XPS, not so much. The HD died within 6 months, plus there were other issues - certainly, the extended warranty I bought covered that, but there
... See more
Hello all,

I just lost my post... so here I go again

I've read the recent posts on laptops here, including the rest All-In-One (and I'm looking forward to replies on that!)

In 2009 I bought a Dell XPS M1530 for $2500 CAD, to succeed the Dell Inspiron 5150 I bought in 2004 for $2100~ CAD. I loved that Inspiron. The XPS, not so much. The HD died within 6 months, plus there were other issues - certainly, the extended warranty I bought covered that, but there was downtime, plus when I call their techs we don't understand each other... So I thought I'd go to a local computer shop this time round, and maybe get some better after-sales service.

I stepped into the shop thinking of HP. However the salesman told me that HP is phasing out of computers altogether, so there goes the after-sales service.

Instead, after hearing my requirements, he proposed an Asus. Trouble is, I'm completely unfamiliar with this brand. He makes it sound good, though, with two-year warranty, the first year being bumpter-to-bumper, accident-proof replacement warranty.

Here are the specs:

6-cell battery
HDMI
Display 16:9
Screen resolution: 1600 x 900
Screen size: 17.3"
Screen mode: WSXGA
NVIDIA Graphics
Graphics memory capacity: 1GB
Display Screen type: Active matrix TFT Colur LCD backlight
DDR3
4GB, upgraded to 8 GB for $40
HD capacity: 750 GB
Blu-ray reader/DVD-writer
Cache: 3MB
Processor speed: 2.40 GHz
Processor type: Core i5
Dual Core Intel
and Windows 7 Home

Price: $899

Is this suitable, my techie friends? It's sooooo much cheaper than the Dell models I bought... I look forward to your opinions about this machine, not to mention William Pairman's question about the Vostro All-in-One (Dell, I know...)

Nancy
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
model? Feb 19, 2012

Dear Nancy,

If you were more specific (a link?) then it would be much easier, nevertheless...
6-cell battery
How many mAh - 4800, 7200 or something? Hot-switch?
It's not big but wide (if that's what you really want), the only thing you omitted is it glossy (more vivid colors) or mat (glare-resistant)?
NVIDIA Graphics
Single? Which model exactly?
Graphics memory capacity: 1GB... See more
Dear Nancy,

If you were more specific (a link?) then it would be much easier, nevertheless...
6-cell battery
How many mAh - 4800, 7200 or something? Hot-switch?
It's not big but wide (if that's what you really want), the only thing you omitted is it glossy (more vivid colors) or mat (glare-resistant)?
NVIDIA Graphics
Single? Which model exactly?
Graphics memory capacity: 1GB
Dynamic? DDR4 type?
Display Screen type: Active matrix TFT Colur LCD backlight
LCD is rather outdated, consider LED.
HDD? capacity: 750 GB
5400 or 7200rpm?
Intel Dual Core [email protected] GHz
For browsing/translating would do, but there's not so big difference in price to get i7.
Windows 7 Home
32 or 64 bit?
Price: $899
CAD or USD?
Sound? Adapters? Connectors? Features? Etc...

So, Nancy, as you can see there's just not enough info to come to any conclusion.
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you DZiW Feb 19, 2012

Yes, I'd typed in more info on my first attempt to post (gone Poof!)

Here is a link http://www.frontierpc.com/computers/portable-computers/notebook/asus/k73sv-dh51-notebook-1020811916.html

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:46
French to English
+ ...
"More information..." Feb 20, 2012

DZiW wrote:
So, Nancy, as you can see there's just not enough info to come to any conclusion.

To all your questions, assume "the cheapest option"
  • . Yes, the screen isn't cutting edge technology. Yes, the disk drive isn't the fastest known to humanity. But for $900 you what were you expecting-- quantum computing?

For the price, it's a perfectly comparable spec with other machines, I think, and will be absolutely adequate-- as will practically any machine on the market-- for the purposes of running Microsoft Word and accessing the Internet.

So... have you had a look at it? Do you personally like the screen?-- e.g. is it big and bright enough for you? When you try to launch a web page does it seem snappy enough? Does it have sufficient USB etc interfaces for things that you want to plug into it?

• That said, I imagine it's 64 bit Windows -- do they even still sell 32 bit? (Though I'll let you into a secret-- Microsoft Word will probably still work either way...)

• NancyLynn
    NancyLynn
    Canada
    Member (2002)
    French to English
    + ...

TOPIC STARTER
    Another link Feb 20, 2012

Here's another link, to another retailer.

See more
    Here's another link, to another retailer.

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-K73SV-DH51-17-3-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment/dp/B005PAJW68/ref=br_lf_m_1000769581_1_9_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1345110782&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000769581&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_r=0GPWG8FKN3X9XV3N3JSB
    Collapse

NancyLynn
    NancyLynn
    Canada
    Member (2002)
    French to English
    + ...

TOPIC STARTER
    Hi Neil, Feb 20, 2012

So IOW do you think I'd be disappointed with this model, considering I've been using rather high-end computers in the past, or have the prices simply dropped that much in the past 3 years?

(I'm reacting the the "cheapest option" bit here...) I'm perfectly willing to spend more, I just don't know if I'll need to. As you say, it would be nice to actually test-drive the thing, but everything these days has to be ordered...

Neil Coffey
    Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Local time: 09:46
    French to English
    + ...
    Don't think you'd be disappointed Feb 20, 2012

NancyLynn wrote:
    So IOW do you think I'd be disappointed with this model, considering I've been using rather high-end computers in the past, or have the prices simply dropped that much in the past 3 years?

I'm not familiar with the Dell model you mentioned, but on paper, I don't think you'd be disappointed as such with the machine you mention.

If you've been using a top-end machine by today's standards (say, an i7-based machine with dual fast hard drives and large, bright screen) and then start using an i5-based machine with a slower hard disk and smaller screen, then it might feel eeeever so slightly less snappy, and you might miss the bigger screen.

I would say go to a couple of stores that have similar-spec machines, have a play around with them and see how you feel. See how sluggish they feel at opening windows/web browsers/Word. See how you like the screen: is it bright enough? Get a word document up alongside a browser Window. Do things comfortably fit as you'd need for working?

NancyLynn
    NancyLynn
    Canada
    Member (2002)
    French to English
    + ...

TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks Neil Feb 22, 2012

I went back to the store, checked out the physical comfort of this machine, and went ahead and plunked down my credit card. Should be here tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

N.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asus

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »