Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:11
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2012

I'm looking to replace my old HP colour laser printer and am getting lost trying to weigh up initial cost vs toner & drum cost.

What I'm after is a cheapish printer that will mainly be used for b&w print but it should also be able to handle printing occasional colour brochures. I work on a Mac (with VWware Fusion), but my son, who might also want to use it, is on a Windows laptop.

My ideal spec would be:

Low initial cost (no more than GBP150 would be ideal,
... See more
I'm looking to replace my old HP colour laser printer and am getting lost trying to weigh up initial cost vs toner & drum cost.

What I'm after is a cheapish printer that will mainly be used for b&w print but it should also be able to handle printing occasional colour brochures. I work on a Mac (with VWware Fusion), but my son, who might also want to use it, is on a Windows laptop.

My ideal spec would be:

Low initial cost (no more than GBP150 would be ideal, but maybe not realistic)
Economical printing (toner & drum)
Wifi connection
Double sided printing
Work with both Mac and PC

Any ideas?

Edited to add:

I've had this offer through a company that I bought toners from for my old printer: Dell 1350cnw Wireless Colour Laser With 2 sets of Dell OEM Toners £140.60 + £8.95 = £149.55

Sounds OK?

[Edited at 2012-08-15 12:49 GMT]
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:11
French to English
+ ...
Printing cost analysis Aug 15, 2012

I was trying to solve a similar problem several months ago, and found an e-shop with very detailed printer descriptions and printing costs in pence per page: http://www.printware.co.uk/Products/Dept/Printers/Group/Colour-Laser-Printers/Home.html

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:11
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Anton Aug 15, 2012

Good link, but I've now learnt that "using a Mac then PostScript is of the utmost importance". Which, of course, means more money...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Colour laser printer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »