Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Need suggestions of Sony Vaio or Asus laptop!
Thread poster: Luke Mersh

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
Jan 25, 2014

I know there have been many posts about this, and I have been reading them, but I am still no further.

I have read that Asus are the preferred.
I have seen a second hand Asus Z96Jm
15.4 screen
1.8 duo core
250 gb Hdd
3gb of ram
wireless...

this is the only Asus I can find in the range of £150. with the suggested features needed.
or its going to be a Sony as I have just purchased a 17 inch one as well for £150.

but I am looking for light weight and long battery life.

any advice on Sony Vaio or Asus which are light weight and have long battery life?

many thank


 

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Asus or Sony? Jan 25, 2014

I am about to become a qualified interpreter soon.
And will be thinking of training in the future as a translator too.

so I will be working with programs like Omega T as this runs on Linux, and Winfast , those sort of free TM software and trying to practice and improve my translation skills.

I did have an Acer Aspire, but am now liking Sony vaio and after reading posts and threads on here about Asus, I have seen a fairly decent and cheap secondhand one,
so I was looking for some more advice if anybody can help.


 

Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:00
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sony Vaio Jan 26, 2014

I bought a Sony Vaio with i3 processor a few months ago. it looks nice, generally works well with software but... the keyboard and touch pad are dreadful, especially the latter. I've given up trying to use either, and now always use USB mouse and keyboard. I've also disabled irritating Sony updates...
I don't know if it is just this one with bad key sensitivity and uncontrollable touch pad, but test anything you are interested in before you buy it!


 

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sony vaio or Asus Jan 26, 2014

I am using my 17 inch Sony at the mo as a desktop replacement and really like it but people here are suggesting Asus.
look forward to more replies.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Finnish to French
Tough nut to crack Jan 27, 2014

luke mersh wrote:
I have seen a second hand Asus Z96Jm

this is the only Asus I can find in the range of £150. with the suggested features needed.
but I am looking for light weight and long battery life.

You will have a hard time finding a second-hand laptop in this price range with a long battery life. Even if battery life was long when the laptop was new, it is going to be much shorter if it's 3-4 years old. This means you will have to purchase a new battery (assuming the battery is replaceable, which is often not the case in the lightest of laptops, "ultrabooks"), which may well cost almost as much as your budget.


 

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Asus or Sony? Jan 27, 2014

Yes I am aware of that, but batteries are not expensive to buy.
I am more concerned with the spec required for doing translations as well.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Finnish to French
Brands, batteries, requirements Jan 28, 2014

luke mersh wrote:
Asus or Sony?

Sorry, I have no opinion on the subject. My personal choice in ultrabooks would be Apple vs. Lenovo. Specifically: MacBook Pro vs. ThinkPad X1 Carbon or ThinkPad T440s.
luke mersh wrote:
Yes I am aware of that, but batteries are not expensive to buy.

This is strange, because after-market laptop batteries tend to be expensive. Good for you, however, if you have been able to secure an inexpensive source for the models you're interested in.
luke mersh wrote:
I am more concerned with the spec required for doing translations as well.

Any computer less than 5 years old and with 4 GB of RAM or more should do the job. This is not rocket science.


 

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Asus or Sony? Jan 28, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

luke mersh wrote:
Asus or Sony?

Sorry, I have no opinion on the subject. My personal choice in ultrabooks would be Apple vs. Lenovo. Specifically: MacBook Pro vs. ThinkPad X1 Carbon or ThinkPad T440s.
luke mersh wrote:
Yes I am aware of that, but batteries are not expensive to buy.

This is strange, because after-market laptop batteries tend to be expensive. Good for you, however, if you have been able to secure an inexpensive source for the models you're interested in.
luke mersh wrote:
I am more concerned with the spec required for doing translations as well.

Any computer less than 5 years old and with 4 GB of RAM or more should do the job. This is not rocket science.


Thank you for your message,
but it hasn't really answered my original question.
Sony vaio or Asus.

As I mentioned I am thinking of buying an Asus Z96Jm
15.5 screen
1.8 ghz duo core
250gb hdd
3gb ram
weight 2.9 kg


 

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sony vaio or Asus? Jan 29, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

luke mersh wrote:
Asus or Sony?

Sorry, I have no opinion on the subject. My personal choice in ultrabooks would be Apple vs. Lenovo. Specifically: MacBook Pro vs. ThinkPad X1 Carbon or ThinkPad T440s.
luke mersh wrote:
Yes I am aware of that, but batteries are not expensive to buy.

This is strange, because after-market laptop batteries tend to be expensive. Good for you, however, if you have been able to secure an inexpensive source for the models you're interested in.
luke mersh wrote:
I am more concerned with the spec required for doing translations as well.

Any computer less than 5 years old and with 4 GB of RAM or more should do the job. This is not rocket science.


I am not sure of the laptops age,but the seller tells me its in excellent condition.
I would like to point out that this isa laptop not an ultrabook.
Also I too was looking at getting a Lenovo, but even secondhand are out of my budget range,but Asus I can afford.


 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:00
Finnish to French
Age Jan 29, 2014

luke mersh wrote:
I am not sure of the laptops age,but the seller tells me its in excellent condition.
I would like to point out that this isa laptop not an ultrabook.
Also I too was looking at getting a Lenovo, but even secondhand are out of my budget range,but Asus I can afford.

You can tell the age based on the processor: Zonah = 2006-2008. It's quite old already IMO. And yes, 2.9 kg definitely isn't ultrabook-class, quite heavy in fact.


 

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Asus or Sony? Jan 29, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

luke mersh wrote:
I am not sure of the laptops age,but the seller tells me its in excellent condition.
I would like to point out that this isa laptop not an ultrabook.
Also I too was looking at getting a Lenovo, but even secondhand are out of my budget range,but Asus I can afford.

You can tell the age based on the processor: Zonah = 2006-2008. It's quite old already IMO. And yes, 2.9 kg definitely isn't ultrabook-class, quite heavy in fact.


Thats good to know.
but 2.9 kg is lighter than others.

I have found that ultrabooks have small screens like 13 inches.

and they are out of my price range.


 
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Asus or Sony? Jan 29, 2014

I have come across this laptop still within my budget

Asus K52N
screen 15.6 matte
AMD V1402.3 ghz processor
250gbHDD
4gb ram
windows 7
AMD radeon hd 4200 graphics

what do you think of this?
opinions appreciated


 

Anton_B  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sony Vaio Jan 30, 2014

I'm currently on a Sony Vaio and could only say that I would recommend Sony!

 

Luke Mersh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Asus or Sony? Jan 30, 2014

Anton Borjesson wrote:

I'm currently on a Sony Vaio and could only say that I would recommend Sony!


yes I am currently using my new secondhand Sony vaio 17 inch as a desktop replacement, and was going to get another, but reading the posts about laptops for translators on this forum, the majority of votes are for Asus.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need suggestions of Sony Vaio or Asus laptop!

Advanced search






Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search