Scanners
Thread poster: Giles Bickford

Giles Bickford  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:50
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
Jun 16, 2002

CAT tools are only any good if the source text is a writeable file. In the case of source text as a PDF or faxed text, it is essential to have an excellent scanner. Mine, which came bundled with the PC, and which I use with Omnipage OCR (quite a good package)is about OK for clear text, but on a third generation fax, even gray-scale scanning turns up too many mistakes. I guess the resolution of the scanner itself is what counts. What are readers\' recommendations for the best scanning performance?

Yayo

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
French to English
OmniPage Pro 11 Jun 16, 2002

Hi Giles,

You can upgrade to OmniPage Pro 11 (I found it for $125 Canadian, which is around $100 US). I scanned an 88-page French document in no time so that I could use my CAT tool to translate it.

OP Pro also extracts the text from PDF files. I haven\'t tested this function yet, but a colleague did a couple of files for me before I bought the software and it did a great job.

HTH,

Erika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scanners

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search