Alex Boladeras
Alex Boladeras  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 3, 2006

Hi there!

I am considering buying Trados or Dejàvu but don't know what to do. Which one do people prefer and, if possible, why?

Thanks

AB

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:21
German to English
DVX is best / No! Trados is better! Mar 4, 2006

People feel about their TM programs the same way they feel about their religion, political party or sports team.

The only way you will be able to decide is to download demo versions of both programs. DevaVu X (DVX) allows you to use a fully-functional version for a month, once the company sends you a password (may take a day or two); the last time I checked, Trados allows you to use a translation memory (TM) limited to a certain number of segments. SDL has bought Trados and likewise
... See more
People feel about their TM programs the same way they feel about their religion, political party or sports team.

The only way you will be able to decide is to download demo versions of both programs. DevaVu X (DVX) allows you to use a fully-functional version for a month, once the company sends you a password (may take a day or two); the last time I checked, Trados allows you to use a translation memory (TM) limited to a certain number of segments. SDL has bought Trados and likewise offers a demo version. As I understand it, the features of SDLX and Trados will be eventually merged into one program. I own a version of SDLX, but haven't used it in a while, so I cannot comment on the program.

In general I prefer DVX (primarily for Word or Excel documents) since building a terminology database is done very quickly and easily. There is also a feature allowing the user to build a project-specific lexicon (comes in handy for product names or equipment designations). At this juncture I must admit that DejaVu was my first TM program and I have adapted my work methods to it.

When it comes to PowerPoint (ugh!) or xml files, I clearly prefer Trados. It seems to work better for me.

I might point out that in general, you won't realize any immediate benefit from a TM program; it takes a while to build up translation memories and terminology databases. Further, you will have to use a conversion program to access pdf files and an OCR program and a scanner in order to work on faxes using a TM program.

If you want to get into a translation memory program relatively inexpensively, you might want to try Wordfast.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:21
German to English
+ ...
Trados vs DejàVu Mar 4, 2006

Alex Boladeras wrote:

I am considering buying Trados or Dejàvu but don't know what to do. Which one do people prefer and, if possible, why?

There are 15 to 20 translation memory applications on the market. What were your reasons for shortlisting these particular two products?

Marc

Alex Boladeras
Indonesia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Kevin Mar 5, 2006

Thanks Kevin, that´s really helpful. I tried Wordfast already and did not like it very much (particularly the "working environment" so to speak). I have been using Déjà vu for a couple of weeks and I am quite happy with it, so maybe I will stick to it.

Alex Boladeras
Indonesia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They seem to be the most widely used (among a few others) Mar 5, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:

Alex Boladeras wrote:

There are 15 to 20 translation memory applications on the market. What were your reasons for shortlisting these particular two products?

Marc

smartguy
smartguy
English
Trados Mar 20, 2006

Trados is good!

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:21
English to Turkish
+ ...
I prefer Deja Vu Mar 20, 2006

Hi Alex,

The subject has been discussed many times and I don't want to repeat it once more. I have both Trados and Deja Vu, but prefer using Deja Vu.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Deja Vu Mar 20, 2006

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
The subject has been discussed many times and I don't want to repeat it once more. I have both Trados and Deja Vu, but prefer using Deja Vu.

The same. I use TagEditor for htm/html files, otherwise I certainly prefer DVX.

Georgiy Moiseenko
Georgiy Moiseenko
Russian to English
+ ...
I prefer DV Mar 24, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

The same. I use TagEditor for htm/html files, otherwise I certainly prefer DVX.

Agree and use the same

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados vs DejàVu

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »