Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Deja Vu for euro 315 - I got it for US$690
Thread poster: Libin PhD
Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2002

Atril is offering Deja Vu for 315.00 euros. I got it last November at the ATA Los Angeles conference for US$690. I have been using Trados since later version 2 and do not like it too much.

In addition to all the features touted in Atril\'s message, one advantage of DV as I can see is that it puts the source and target text in a talbe-like format next to each other, very easy to proofread your own translation. With Trados, you have the source and target text mixed together w
... See more
Atril is offering Deja Vu for 315.00 euros. I got it last November at the ATA Los Angeles conference for US$690. I have been using Trados since later version 2 and do not like it too much.

In addition to all the features touted in Atril\'s message, one advantage of DV as I can see is that it puts the source and target text in a talbe-like format next to each other, very easy to proofread your own translation. With Trados, you have the source and target text mixed together with all the tags in between, proofing your own work is a pain. Although you can open up the original file and hide the source in the target file, keeping track your location is cumbersome, not as easy as in DV.

The following is the message from Atril (08/07/02):

>>>>>>

Unbeatable New Competitive CAT Offer:

Switch to Deja Vu by 29th August for just 315 euros.

Yes, 315 euros! _________________________________________________________________

You can now dramatically increase your translation productivity by switching to Deja Vu from your current Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) system at an incredible saving of 675 euros! Just being an owner of a qualifying product is enough for you to take advantage of this sensational offer.

Why should you? Well, just ask yourself these questions about the CAT system you are currently using:

Is it quick?

Not just with greater productivity gains and greater

translation speeds through TM technology, but also with

automatic handling of graphics and formatting so they don\'t get

in the way and slow you down.

Is it robust?

If your CAT powers-off, freezes or just plain crashes, does

automatic updating occur so the only information you can ever

lose is the last sentence you translated?

Does it have a uniform interface?

Can you translate Word documents, HTML, XML, Quark, FrameMaker,

software resource files and many other formats with one single,

uniform interface instead of through a hideous collection of

baffling, inconsistent filters?

Has it got a logical workflow?

Can you import documents, pre-translate, translate, proof and

export the final translation with the same interface and

workflow procedure for any file format, regardless of project

size?

Does it have everything you need in one package?

Many force you to put your hand back in your pocket for vital

so-called \"extras\" like filters.

Can you translate multiple files at once?

Imagine a website with 100s of files; can you translate all of

these files in any order, or all at the same time?

Does it allow you to operate at sub-sentence level?

Not just with exact and fuzzy matches but with EBMT (Example-

Based Machine Translation) technology that brings portions

together to dramatically squeeze the last drops of usability

from your translation memory.

Do you get free post-sales support?

Just when you need them most, some companies want to see the

colour of your money before they dispense any advice. And

that\'s after you have just spent hundreds of pounds on their

product. Tut-tut.

Is your next product update going to be free?

Deja Vu 3 includes all the tools you need for translating - in

one single package and Deja Vu 3 users get an automatic free

(yes, FREE!) update to the next major product release.

If you can answer \"no\" to any of these questions, you should switch to Deja Vu right now. Deja Vu offers all of these things and much more.

Qualifying CAT Products* are:

Trados Translator\'s Workbench

Star Transit

SDLX

IBM Translation Manager

All prices quoted are exclusive of VAT and delivery.

To place your order, or for more information, either write to [email protected] or call your local distributor or Atril office.

Orders must reach us by the 29th of August.

* Proof of purchase required. A copy of Offer Terms and

Conditions is available on request.

Certain brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. _________________________________________________________________

United Kingdom and Ireland: Atril UK Ltd.

Tel.: +44 (0)1342 826064/5

Fax: +44 (0)1342 826064/5, ext 15

Forge House, Lower Road

Forest Row, East Sussex, RH18 5HE

United Kingdom

E-mail: [email protected]

Benelux: @tout service bvba

Tel.: +32 9 2214305

Fax: +32 9 2205692

Vanillestraat 9

B-9041 Gent

Belgium

France: Assistants Record International

Tel.: +33 1 43 48 20 78

Fax: +33 1 43 48 91 95

11 rue des Réglises

75020 Paris

France

Sweden: Novenda

Tel.: +46 (0)13-35 31 00

Fax: +46 (0)13-35 31 01

Brigadgatan 8

S-581 31 Linköping

Sweden

http://www.novenda.se

Rest of the world: ATRIL Software SL

Tel.: +34 93 217 86 00

Fax: +34 93 217 83 06

Via Augusta 13, suite 605

08006 Barcelona

Spain

Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:45
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Don't make the mistake I did Aug 9, 2002

Don\'t misread the message. It says \"switch to DV\", so to buy it for 315 US$ you have to proof you already have another CAT tool.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:45
English to Dutch
+ ...
Good point(s) made Aug 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-09 16:58, c.iglesias wrote:

Don\'t misread the message. It says \"switch to DV\", so to buy it for 315 US$ you have to proof you already have another CAT tool.

Exactly, and the choice is very limited.

If you own Alchemy Catalyst (an excellent localization tool for software applications), it doesn\'t count.

I simply don\'t think it\'s a very smar... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-09 16:58, c.iglesias wrote:

Exactly, and the choice is very limited.

If you own Alchemy Catalyst (an excellent localization tool for software applications), it doesn\'t count.

I simply don\'t think it\'s a very smart move to offer DV at that rate only to people who already have another TM (and only 4 are acceptable).

Other than that, offering something at less than half the price will not sound too fair to quite a few people.

What if you purchased DV last month, or last November for that matter?

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Just the day before, Evert Aug 9, 2002

That\'s why I misread the message, because when I saw 315 euros, I nerly had a heart attack!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This wasn't supposed to be a DV ad, right? Aug 9, 2002

...although one could get the impression, what with all the contact details posted...

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No I am not related to DV in anyway. Aug 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-09 21:21, Lemster wrote:

...although one could get the impression, what with all the contact details posted...

No I am not related with DV anyway. I received the message yesterday. I thought if Trados could sell for $495, Atril might want to do something to get the market share. Although I notieced the Switch part but did not think too much about it.

I am... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-09 21:21, Lemster wrote:

No I am not related with DV anyway. I received the message yesterday. I thought if Trados could sell for $495, Atril might want to do something to get the market share. Although I notieced the Switch part but did not think too much about it.

I am a long time user of Trados but I kind of like DV\'s working environment. So I got it last november. However, DV currently does not work with Windows XP, I am still waiting for the new Version 4 to come out to really use it.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-10 05:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-10 05:17 ]Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ralf. I am not related either! Aug 10, 2002

If one of us had NOT informed the rest of us about this DV offer I think we would have been illoyal mebers/moderators.

It\'s a fantastic offer which I will take advantage of.

I guess they learned from Trados that made exactly the same thing 2½ years ago.

I would be very cross if I hade bought it in June, which I was about to do.

Mats Wiman

Deu>Swe moderator

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Information is fine... Aug 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-10 06:40, MatsWiman wrote:

If one of us had NOT informed the rest of us about this DV offer I think we would have been illoyal mebers/moderators.

Mats Wiman
<... See more
Quote:

Mats Wiman

Deu>Swe moderator

Mats, passing on information is fine - and even more so if there\'s something interesting available. I just feel that in a discussion forum it\'s sufficient to post a link rather than the full ad... ▲ Collapse

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Mats. With your encouragement, I would like to share my recent support experience with DV Aug 10, 2002

Quote:

I guess they learned from Trados that made exactly the same thing 2?years ago.

Mats Wiman
... See more
Quote:

Mats Wiman

Deu>Swe moderator

I just recently tried DV although I watched their demo at year 2000 and 2001 ATA conferences. However, DV does not remember the target Chinese font selection as the names of Chinese fonts are in Chinese characters. I emailed Atril support on a Friday evening, they replied on Saturday, asking me to download a file to overwrite a file with same name in my system. It still didn\'t work. So I wrote back detailing my problem. Guess what, on Monday, I received a call from DV, telling me that the unicode based Version 4 will soon be out and I am entitled to a free upgrade. I asked him when that will happen. The caller told me that they had finished the software development and he was writing the manual. I was happy enough to tell him that I could wait a while as I had not used it for so long.

I guess you cannot expect such support from TRADOS or any other CAT vendors. It was a call initiated by Atril from Europe to the US trying to help their customer to solve his problem and informing him that his problem would soon be solved. I think everyone of us can easily recall our experience of calling for support. They keep you listening to music and often cut you off after you wait for 20 minutes.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-10 16:47 ]Collapse

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There was no link in the email I received about this promotion. Aug 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-10 07:14, Lemster wrote:

Quote:

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-10 07:14, Lemster wrote:

Quote:

Mats Wiman

Deu>Swe moderator

Mats, passing on information is fine - and even more so if there\'s something interesting available. I just feel that in a discussion forum it\'s sufficient to post a link rather than the full ad...

There was no link in the email I received about this promotion. There was only one link in the email. After I clicked that, it was for unsubscribe from their email list. Happily, they have a resubscribe link after you unsubscribed. So I am still in.

I never thought of the ramification that peple might link my message to ad for money. I only thought it might be useful to some of our colleagues here. In a money oriented world, you can easily be surprised with whatever you do. Sigh...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-10 07:58 ]Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
DV is excellent Aug 10, 2002

I have been using DV for about 18 months now - and it is excellent, even though there could be some improvements. Even if I receive a job in Trados or Transit, I do it in DV.

BTW, the new version was first announced for December last year. Now there are thousands of us anxiously waiting for that major upgrade.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No offence meant or taken Aug 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-10 07:32, libin wrote:

There was no link in the email I received about this promotion. There was only one link in the email. After I clicked that, it was for unsubscribe from their email list. Happily, they have a resubscribe link after you unsubscribed. So I am still in.

I never thought of the ramification that peple might link my message to ad for money. I only thought it might be useful to ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-10 07:32, libin wrote:

I never thought of the ramification that peple might link my message to ad for money. I only thought it might be useful to some of our colleagues here. In a money oriented world, you can easily be surprised with whatever you do. Sigh...

Let\'s face it, the professional world we live in is money-oriented - after all, we make a living out of it.

I didn\'t mean to imply you had been paid to post an ad here. All I wanted to point out is that, in effect, the posting amounted to an ad for DV. I just believe that this forum should be used for exchanging experiences, not for advertising (not even involuntarily...).

Good luck using the software!

Collapse

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Offence here, either. Aug 10, 2002

I just wanted to let people know. I carefully chose this comparison shopping forum to post it. When you talking about shopping, it is probably more than just pure discussion. Information as to where to get the recommended products inevitably will have to appear somewhere. If you do not post it, people will ask for it anyway.

I am still using TRADOS 5.5. The problem is that TRADOS is too slow, even on my Pentium 4 1.9 GHz machine with 512 MB RDRAM (Dell Dimension 8200 that I
... See more
I just wanted to let people know. I carefully chose this comparison shopping forum to post it. When you talking about shopping, it is probably more than just pure discussion. Information as to where to get the recommended products inevitably will have to appear somewhere. If you do not post it, people will ask for it anyway.

I am still using TRADOS 5.5. The problem is that TRADOS is too slow, even on my Pentium 4 1.9 GHz machine with 512 MB RDRAM (Dell Dimension 8200 that I bought nearly a year ago). Yesterday, I had two Word documents that are quite complicated in designing (each file is 8 MB for two pages). TRADOS simply cannot cut it. You had to wait 5-15 seconds just for the next item to arrive. I had to manually overwrite the files.

I also do not like TRADOS\' workplace. Luckily, you do not have to run it. However, you still pay for something you do not need.

It is just like Microsoft putting all those functions in Office programs that you might never use in your lifetime. They at least should put all those fancy functions together on a tab page in the Options so that you can turn them on or off individually. To me, it is like you go to work and Microsoft forces you to take your whole wardrobe, your kitchen items, your bathroom items and tools in the basement all along with you. It is plain stupid as they all eat up your system resources and slow you down on the work you are doing.

I will definitely give DV a thorough try and see if it is better than Trados. I know it is faster. I already like its user interface which is similar to what I use for Intel work (Intel International Development Studio, IIDS, an Intel proprietary package for localization) where you have the source and the target texts next to each other without any tags in between.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-10 18:15 ]
Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
What? Aug 11, 2002

However, DV currently does not work with Windows XP, I am still waiting for the new Version 4 to come out to really use it.

I have been using DV with Windows XP (and Office 2002) for months and they work just fine together.

Regards,

Karin Adamczyk

rampinelli
rampinelli  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
DV and Windows XP Aug 11, 2002

I have a computer with XP Home edition and a laptop with XP Professional. DV works with the Home edition, but not with the Professional edition.

By the way, I have Trados Freelance 3. Does anyone know if the latest Trados versions are significantly better? Compared to DV, I find my Trados version unacceptable because:

1. adding vocabulary is a very painful process (easy in DV)

2. Trados won\'t translate partial sentences.

I\'d be happ
... See more
I have a computer with XP Home edition and a laptop with XP Professional. DV works with the Home edition, but not with the Professional edition.

By the way, I have Trados Freelance 3. Does anyone know if the latest Trados versions are significantly better? Compared to DV, I find my Trados version unacceptable because:

1. adding vocabulary is a very painful process (easy in DV)

2. Trados won\'t translate partial sentences.

I\'d be happy to ignore Trados, but more and more customers seem to be demanding it. By the way, it\'s pretty easy to convert the DV database into Trados. Vocabulary is more difficult.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deja Vu for euro 315 - I got it for US$690

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »