Trados or DejaVu?
Thread poster: SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Local time: 22:21
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2002

I am a about to buy a CAT-tool, and was wondering about Trados and DejaVu. Trados because it\'s well known and used by many translators and agencies, and DejaVu because of its easier user interface and that it\'s a more solid program than Trados.

What do you Trados and DejaVu user think?

Mattias Bergström
[addsig]

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Definitely Déjà Vu Aug 15, 2002

Your only argument pro Trados is that it\'s used by most agencies. Well, Déjà Vu is perfectly capable of handling pretranslated Trados files. The client won\'t notice and if necessary, you can send the client a Trados-type export of your Déjà Vu database which he can import in his Trados database.

I have a few clients who send me Trados files and they don\'t even know I\'m using Déjà Vu.

And what\'s more important: I think DV is far superior to Trados, as it combines md
... See more
Your only argument pro Trados is that it\'s used by most agencies. Well, Déjà Vu is perfectly capable of handling pretranslated Trados files. The client won\'t notice and if necessary, you can send the client a Trados-type export of your Déjà Vu database which he can import in his Trados database.

I have a few clients who send me Trados files and they don\'t even know I\'m using Déjà Vu.

And what\'s more important: I think DV is far superior to Trados, as it combines mdb and tdb elements when AutoAssembling/pretranslating. And: the technical support is great and free.

(And no, I have no connextion whatsoever with Atril.)

hth

Joeri
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Why don't you try Wordfast? Aug 15, 2002

Before you spend money on either one, why don\'t you give Wordfast a try? I\'ve been very happy with it!

I\'ve worked with Trados files before, and it closely resembles Trados, so it would give you an idea of how that program works too. Best of all, you download it free!

Several agencies I know are slowly switching from Trados (expensive) to Wordfast (free). With Wordfast, you can also export/import translation memories (from DV, Trados and I think also SDLX).

In ad
... See more
Before you spend money on either one, why don\'t you give Wordfast a try? I\'ve been very happy with it!

I\'ve worked with Trados files before, and it closely resembles Trados, so it would give you an idea of how that program works too. Best of all, you download it free!

Several agencies I know are slowly switching from Trados (expensive) to Wordfast (free). With Wordfast, you can also export/import translation memories (from DV, Trados and I think also SDLX).

In addition to working with Word, WF can also handle files in Excel and PowerPoint. And no, I don\'t work for Wordfast! I\'m simply a very happy customer!
Collapse

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 15:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
May I add a link... Aug 15, 2002

Wizard Translations has something to add to this forum:

http://wizardtrans.free.fr/trados-wordfast.htm

I use Trados, but sometimes it drives me crazy (about once a day...)

Happy computing!

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:21
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Aug 15, 2002

I have seen and followed this kind of opinions for a longtime now, because I was wondering what was better. The impression I have is that wordfast users are very happy with it but generally haven\'t trioed another CAT tool.

Among Deja Vu users a lot have worked on Trados and prefer DV, and have several reasons for that.

So, after thinking about it for several months I decided to buy DV (I haven\'t installed it yet) but yesterday I wondered if it was the right choice because o
... See more
I have seen and followed this kind of opinions for a longtime now, because I was wondering what was better. The impression I have is that wordfast users are very happy with it but generally haven\'t trioed another CAT tool.

Among Deja Vu users a lot have worked on Trados and prefer DV, and have several reasons for that.

So, after thinking about it for several months I decided to buy DV (I haven\'t installed it yet) but yesterday I wondered if it was the right choice because of this offer :

http://www.proz.com/job?id=25327

\"pour les traductions de toutes les langues de l’Union européenne vers le français pour les traductions des Journaux officiels (JO) de tous les Etats membres de l’Union européenne (UE). \"

\"Appel d\\\'offres, contrat de collaboration sur 5 ans\"

\"Le traducteur est tenu de travailler avec le logiciel TRADOS exclusivement (aucun autre logiciel d’aide à la traduction n’est accepté pour ce projet, quand bien même compatible). \"

Even if DV is compatible, it can\'t be used.

I still wondering. Should I buy it just because outsourcers want it ?

Collapse

Claudia Andreani
Claudia Andreani  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you for the info.... Aug 15, 2002

Hello!

Thank you all for your valuable answers. It is helping me too!

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:21
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
On Trados-DV compatibility Aug 16, 2002

I am using Trados 5.5 Freelance, but I have also decided to take up the current offer to buy DV for 315 Euros. Before deciding this I read some messages in this forum regarding the two programs, and I think I have understood that, according to many DV owners, DV translation memories are perfectly compatible with Trados 5.5 ones. If this is true, where is the problem in using DV even when Agencies or Customers strictly require the use of Trados? Do they have the possibility to recognize that anot... See more
I am using Trados 5.5 Freelance, but I have also decided to take up the current offer to buy DV for 315 Euros. Before deciding this I read some messages in this forum regarding the two programs, and I think I have understood that, according to many DV owners, DV translation memories are perfectly compatible with Trados 5.5 ones. If this is true, where is the problem in using DV even when Agencies or Customers strictly require the use of Trados? Do they have the possibility to recognize that another CAT program has been used other than Trados.

Thank you

Mario Cerutti
[addsig]
Collapse

Andrew Poloyan
Andrew Poloyan
Local time: 23:21
Russian to English
+ ...
I vote for DV Aug 20, 2002

I\'ve been using Trados since v. 3.0 (and, subsequently, 5.0, 5.5) - it\'s a great tool and it makes life so much easier. However, I was really impressed by DV\'s approach to the organization of translation environment (and very responsive support). I\'ve tried DV 3.0.23 and imported my Trados TM without any hassles. DV drastically reduced the time required for text clean-up and/or formatting after its translation. Besides, the environment itself helps to focus on translation process instead of ... See more
I\'ve been using Trados since v. 3.0 (and, subsequently, 5.0, 5.5) - it\'s a great tool and it makes life so much easier. However, I was really impressed by DV\'s approach to the organization of translation environment (and very responsive support). I\'ve tried DV 3.0.23 and imported my Trados TM without any hassles. DV drastically reduced the time required for text clean-up and/or formatting after its translation. Besides, the environment itself helps to focus on translation process instead of formatting. I am not ready (yet) to claim that DV is better in any aspect, but it actually speeds up work in my case (especially on technical/scientific/computer-related texts).Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or DejaVu?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »