Thread poster: valfrhg
valfrhg
valfrhg
Local time: 09:01
English to French
+ ...
May 21, 2006

Hello,

Could anyone tell me if there are any advantages to using Trados over wordfast? I'm thinking of switching back to Wordfast, which I used at the very beginning. I've been using Trados for a couple years on an emulator on my Mac, but that dongle is such a pain when you're using a laptop. Also, is there an equivalent of tagEditor on Wordfast, or do you even need TagEditor (I can't use it with Trados right now, since I don't know how to input accents on French words in TagEditor
... See more
Hello,

Could anyone tell me if there are any advantages to using Trados over wordfast? I'm thinking of switching back to Wordfast, which I used at the very beginning. I've been using Trados for a couple years on an emulator on my Mac, but that dongle is such a pain when you're using a laptop. Also, is there an equivalent of tagEditor on Wordfast, or do you even need TagEditor (I can't use it with Trados right now, since I don't know how to input accents on French words in TagEditor, and translation agencies have been pretty understanding about that so far).

Thanks,

Val
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No equivalent for Tageditor May 21, 2006

Newer versions of Trados come with software license, no dongle anymore. So you rather should update your trados instead of investing in Wordfast, which is more restricted.

Regards
Heinrich

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 15:01
English to Slovenian
+ ...
How often do you really need TE? May 21, 2006

If you use TE to translate from rtf files, you can do same thing with WF, opening rtf in Word.

If translate a lot of raw DTP files you still can open them in TE and export source as rtf and translate in WF. After tranlation cleanup with TWB and rerun in TE.
If you want, there are some taggers you may use for tagging raw DTP files (Totroise Tagger, for instance - freeware).

AFAIK WF5 runs smooth on Mac (I am PC/WIN user myself, I just know what I read from the supp
... See more
If you use TE to translate from rtf files, you can do same thing with WF, opening rtf in Word.

If translate a lot of raw DTP files you still can open them in TE and export source as rtf and translate in WF. After tranlation cleanup with TWB and rerun in TE.
If you want, there are some taggers you may use for tagging raw DTP files (Totroise Tagger, for instance - freeware).

AFAIK WF5 runs smooth on Mac (I am PC/WIN user myself, I just know what I read from the support group). Before upgrading trados, I would suggest to try WF. Full version, limited only with TM size (500 TU) is avaliable on www.wordfast.net. WF licence will probably cost less then upgrade.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, personally I prefere WF (having both tools).

[Edited at 2006-05-21 21:03]
Collapse

valfrhg
valfrhg
Local time: 09:01
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Decisions, decisions... Jun 19, 2006

Thanks to you both for your input. It should make my decision easier, hopefully.

Best,

Val

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone used Wordfast lately?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »