Convince me to keep using Wordfast!
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:40
German to English
+ ...
May 30, 2006

I have been using WF for a few years now and was generally happy with it both in terms of the product itself and support, until recently. See the WF forum under CAT Tools Support - I have posted three problems I've had witnin the last 2 weeks: embedded graphics being eliminated from files, original font colors being lost, and now a PPT translation not updating.

Unfortunately, I am increasingly getting highly formatted Word docs to translate and PPT always come in, too. Regardless of whether essentially doing DTP in Word is advisable or not, that's what customers do. I feel as if it's at a point where these three problems eliminate the productivity gains from WF.

I do post here and search the Yahoo Group when I have a problem, but these are issues I have not found good, easy solutions to - makes me think it's a problem with the system, not just a glitch. That said, I do have trouble following some of the discussions on the Yahoo Group because I don't know WF as in-depth as the people there, so maybe I'm just missing something?

What do you think I should do? Study up on WF, find a class, better documentation, etc.? Or should I finally make the switch to Trados? Does Trados handle these features better than WF?

[Edited at 2006-05-30 13:46]

[Edited at 2006-05-30 13:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Know your tools May 30, 2006

Daina Jauntirans wrote:
What do you think I should do? Study up on WF, find a class, better documentation, etc.? Or should I finally make the switch to Trados?

You can switch if you want to. One of the less happy consequences of using CAT tools is that one tends to accept work in documents which are far more complex than one had every worked with natively. I can translate documents in Wordfast which I would never, ever be able to create myself, because I don't know MS Word that well. That is a potential problem, because sooner or later there will come a day when I have to fix something that refuse to remain unbroken.

In fact, with some CAT tools you have to do preprocessing (disentangling the document) and postediting (retangle the various parts of the document to create a final product).

You were just unlucky, I think, in that you got several documents that you had to postedit by hand. That's just my 2c.

xxxtarpo
English to Dutch
Aren't you asking too much of a simple Word macro? May 30, 2006

WF doesn't make coffee either.

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:40
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right May 30, 2006

maybe it's an advanced Word class I need, not a WF class. Will definitely think about that!

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:40
English to German
+ ...
Have a look at the Trados support forum May 30, 2006

Daina,

I am not going to convince you to stay with WF, nor am I going to say that you should switch to Trados.

Just have a look at the Trados support forum. People are reporting problems every day. Even though Trados has become better over the years, especially TagEditor, people are still not really happy with the tool. Either there are some problems with the software itself, or it does what WF did to you: destroy the formatting.

The question here really is whether CAT tools in general can always preserve the formatting of a document or not, and when it is better to calculate more time for re-formatting the whole thing.

I have been using WF for a very long time and I have tried Trados, as well as other CAT tools such as DejaVu, SDLX, etc. Some of them may be able to produce better results with the documents you have worked on recently. But then the day will come when your expensive and overpraised CAT tool will just do what WF did: it will destroy the formatting of your file.

In short: if you feel it's time to switch, do it. If you are not sure, try the demos on exactly those files that WF corrupted and see the results.

Sonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convince me to keep using Wordfast!

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search