Deja Vu is very good! (Comments from someone who just figured it out)
Thread poster: Aliseo Japan

Aliseo Japan  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:42
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 16, 2002

Some months ago I purchased one DV full license, but I could never had it to work properly on my Japanese Windows XP because of the unavailability of the accented Italian characters. At that time I was using Trados 5.5 FL, and after cooling down my frustration with DV I finally succeeded in convincing myself that Trados 5.5 was more than enough for my translation needs (many technical documents).

To say the truth, I could never fully convince myself enough to drop all interests in DV and, as a matter of fact, I kept almost daily looking into the DV user group in search for good news. All anticipations given by Atril on DVX however have been good enough for me to keep my interest alive, but unfortunately no hints of a firm release date where to be seen anywhere. Meanwhile I had to translate for the first time a large and demanding Excel file, but to my great surprise I immediately realized that in the 712+ Euros I had to shell out the so-called gT-Windows for Excelh was not included in the 5.5 FL package and that I had to pay additional 150 Euros to get it Then, just not to giving in and taking the chance of a full computer renewal in my office, I finally decided to dedicate one PC equipped with Italian Windows XP to the use of DV. Expensive, somebody may think, but I will never regret to have persisted so much in the belief that DV might be the tool that translators need. In one weekfs time I have been bothering some DV group members with perhaps gstupidh questions, but at last today I managed doing my first translation of a rather large TTX file: not too bad for a DV beginner! And this is mainly thanks to the same members whom I bothered with my stupid questions that gave me valuable, unselfish and gFREEh suggestions. Only now I remember how painful has been translating those 50 PowerPoint pages with Trados just two weeks ago! (by the way, neither the most recent Trados let me input Italian accented characters on the Japanese Windows XP. A couple of months ago I sent my incident report to Trados in Switzerland and they immediately replied asking me to carry out some texts, but I never heard of any follow up after that). I even got to think that it is no more a prerequisite to work in the gfamiliar Word environmenth, the bastion I took refuge in after my first defeat with DV.

I do not want to repeat what others have been insistently saying so far wherever CAT tools are discussed (and that convinced me to soldier on DV), but a really big thank goes to those who created such an effective and easy-to-use program, one that for sure stays on the Translatorfs side. Now I got only one question to crown it all: if this is the current DV, how further DVX will go?

Mario Cerutti

Direct link Reply with quote

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
How is DV with Japanese encoding? Dec 17, 2002

Hi,

I work from Chinese to English, so your situation might be similar. I could never get DejaVu to handle Chinese codes appropriately before (this was more than a year ago). Have you had success with this?

I\'m using Trados 5.5 which is more than enough for what I do (mostly Word files) but I\'ve also been playing with MetaTexis, which has other attractive features, and would like to check out StarTransit as well. Problem is there seem to be relatively few people using CAT from Chinese to English and far more going into Chinese or Japanese with them, so I\'d like to hear from anyone who has some experience in this area.

Glad to hear you\'ve had success with DV after so much hard work!!

Aliseo Japan  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:42
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DV and Japanese (or Chinese) Dec 17, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-17 00:27, ironlady wrote:

Hi,

I work from Chinese to English, so your situation might be similar. I could never get DejaVu to handle Chinese codes appropriately before (this was more than a year ago). Have you had success with this?

I\'m using Trados 5.5 which is more than enough for what I do (mostly Word files) but I\'ve also been playing with MetaTexis, which has other attractive features, and would like to check out StarTransit as well. Problem is there seem to be relatively few people using CAT from Chinese to English and far more going into Chinese or Japanese with them, so I\'d like to hear from anyone who has some experience in this area.

Glad to hear you\'ve had success with DV after so much hard work!!

Hello,

I have never used DV with the Italian-Japanese pair (only English-Italian), since the problem its current version posed to me with accented characters when working on a non-western platform was enough not to push me to extend my the trial on the Japanese language too.

I heard that the DV\'s current version may not be very efficient when handling double-byte fonts on platforms which original locale does not use double-byte fonts. What I heard, however, is that the upcoming version of Deja Vu (DVX) should be entirely using Unicode, allowing therefore the usage of all fonts installed in a computer. Maybe you may like to ask Atril this question directly.

Kind regards

Mario Cerutti

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deja Vu is very good! (Comments from someone who just figured it out)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search