Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 31, 2008

If so, is it worth it?

I'm considering buying, but it's expensive, and I need opinions.

Thanks.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 08:42
English to Spanish
I used it for a good while Apr 1, 2008

A couple of years ago, I used to work with WedBudget for the purpose of downloading websites and have an exact word count. I didn't use it for translating, which you can, but for giving my clients an accurate quote and turnaround time.

WebBudget allows you to download EVERYTHING contained on a website, including external links, and all kinds of webpages and images, all perfectly formatted just like in the original. It downloads complete webpages and images to your PC, placing each i
... See more
A couple of years ago, I used to work with WedBudget for the purpose of downloading websites and have an exact word count. I didn't use it for translating, which you can, but for giving my clients an accurate quote and turnaround time.

WebBudget allows you to download EVERYTHING contained on a website, including external links, and all kinds of webpages and images, all perfectly formatted just like in the original. It downloads complete webpages and images to your PC, placing each item by folders in a perfect organization. Then you click on the count button, and it gives a summary of each word contained as hypertext, tags, images, and everything you wish to be counted.

It's a very useful tool; but at the present time I rather prefer my clients send me the webpages they need to be translated, and do the analysis and translation job on Trados TagEditor. I really don't focus anymore on websites, but if you do, it's worth it.

Hope I have explained myself.
Collapse

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do you know...? Apr 1, 2008

Do you know if it can do counts on websites but exclude certain portions of the site? My client wants us to transate their whole site EXCEPT for sections X and Y. I've been using Teleport Pro, but you just can't do that with that software...

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 08:42
English to Spanish
Nop Apr 1, 2008

Neither WebBudget; but I suggest that if all web pages include "sections X and Y", you could do a separate word count for those, and subtract from the total amount.

You can also do the following: once you have the whole website downloaded, you open each web page and delete those sections, then ask WebBudget to do the word count. But you'll need to download again for the whole and complete website if sections X and Y are to be shown at the end in their original language.

[Edit
... See more
Neither WebBudget; but I suggest that if all web pages include "sections X and Y", you could do a separate word count for those, and subtract from the total amount.

You can also do the following: once you have the whole website downloaded, you open each web page and delete those sections, then ask WebBudget to do the word count. But you'll need to download again for the whole and complete website if sections X and Y are to be shown at the end in their original language.

[Edited at 2008-04-01 15:16]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone out there have Web Budget?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »