Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 07:40
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 1, 2008

Hello,

I have been asked to work on 2 xml files for the localisation of a site.

However, when I try to open the files, Internet Explorer gives me the message "Unable to open XML document. A character was detected that isn't valid in text contents".

Any idea what I can do about it (if I can do anything?)

Thanks!!

Cameron Fordyce
Cameron Fordyce
Italy
Local time: 06:40
Italian to English
XML document Apr 1, 2008

Hi,

XML is simply a form of text file organized by tags e.g. . You should be able to open the files with any text editor. You should probably try to open the file with notepad if you are using a windows computer. Open notepad first and then drag one file to the opened notepad. If you use MS Word or Open Office, you should be able to read the files with either.

Good luck.

Cam

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 07:40
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unicode Apr 1, 2008

Actually, I asked the client if he could help me and the problem was that the file hadn't been saved as Unicode. Once it was saved as Unicode, all problems were solved.

Thanks!!

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:40
English to Spanish
Notepad Apr 1, 2008

Useful also in case the client does not send you the .ini file and you need to define the tag settings. Opening the document in Notepad allows you to see the header and determine what type of document it is and define the tag settings accordingly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

xml file problem

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »