Translation in Adobe - need advice
Thread poster: Aleksus (X)
Aleksus (X)
Aleksus (X)
Local time: 03:28
English to Russian
Jun 13, 2008

I need to do a job in Adobe acrobat which involves translating and type-setting data sheets. I have never worked in this format before. What program do I need to do the job? How easy/difficult is it to learn/start? And how much more do you usually charge for that kind of job compared to a straight Word translation?
Many thanks, A.

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:28
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Tageditor Jun 13, 2008

Some Adobe format files (like InDesign files and other) can be edited in Tageditor (SDL/Trados). It's worth trying...

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
typesetting is DTP... Jun 13, 2008

... and involves assuring the legibility of the text flow, spacing and kerning between letters and most of all, you will need to know the program to edit it, not just the format.

This type of work is normally done afterwards and charged by the hour. Believe me, InDesign is NOT a program that you would like to learn to use of a spare weekend!

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Acrobat is not for editing Jun 13, 2008

If you mean that you have to translate a PDF file, don't forget that it's not meant to be edited, as it is only a "picture" of a file created with another software - Word, Adobe Indesign or something else.

If you can get the source file and work directly in its format, you will be able to give back a translation with the same layout as the source.

If not, the easiest way is to create a Word file to translate the text (maybe you can extract it from the pdf). Then the cu
... See more
If you mean that you have to translate a PDF file, don't forget that it's not meant to be edited, as it is only a "picture" of a file created with another software - Word, Adobe Indesign or something else.

If you can get the source file and work directly in its format, you will be able to give back a translation with the same layout as the source.

If not, the easiest way is to create a Word file to translate the text (maybe you can extract it from the pdf). Then the customer will have to put the text back into the source file - that's pure DTP work, it has nothing to do with translation. Being able to do DTP work is a specific skill, it can be an asset as a translator but you have to decide if you want to invest in the corresponding software and learn how to use them.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
try infix from Celini... Jun 13, 2008

Hi! I have been using it for file scanned .pdfs. It is really good if you maintain sentence distribution and string length. Brandis

Aleksus (X)
Aleksus (X)
Local time: 03:28
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 13, 2008

Riens - this is already ecouraging !

Marie-Celine - yes I have got .pdf documents.
The client has informed me that they have these documents, I quote, "only as acrobat documents", whatever it means. (Which may actually mean that they do not have a source file. (?))

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:28
English to Greek
+ ...
Or you could use another piece of software Jun 13, 2008

Aleksus wrote:
I need to do a job in Adobe acrobat which involves translating and type-setting data sheets. I have never worked in this format before. What program do I need to do the job?

I recently purchased Infix, through this forum. It is a program that allows you to work directly on an Acrobat file and also permits formatting. The only drawback is when the target text is longer and does not fit in the same space. Otherwise it is wonderful and yes I would charge more. Either by the hour for formatting, or, say, 15-20% more on your basic charge.

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Scares me Jun 13, 2008

I would decline the job If they specifically asked for "type-setting data sheets." Heck, I don't even know what that is, and from the way you worded your question, I suspect you don't either.

On the other hand, if all they really want is a translation that looks like the original, that's usually not much of a problem. I recently translated a notarized affidavit that had been scanned as a PDF image file for a customer that wanted it to "look like the original." I used Word for th
... See more
I would decline the job If they specifically asked for "type-setting data sheets." Heck, I don't even know what that is, and from the way you worded your question, I suspect you don't either.

On the other hand, if all they really want is a translation that looks like the original, that's usually not much of a problem. I recently translated a notarized affidavit that had been scanned as a PDF image file for a customer that wanted it to "look like the original." I used Word for the text. I couldn't extract the seal and signatures directly from the PDF file for some reason, so I used GIMP to cut them out and save them as individual files, then imported into the Word document, but it only took a few minutes.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation in Adobe - need advice

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »