Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jun 26, 2008

Normally, when I'm using Word 2003 (on XP), I can open two files and each appears in its own window with the full Word menu. About a week ago, suddenly, I could open two (or more files), but I could only view one at a time because they each appears in the same window. When I try to compare the documents, they both appear together in the window, each one in its own smaller window and without a menu.

I know this sounds like a minor problem (or perhaps not a problem at all), but it's d
... See more
Normally, when I'm using Word 2003 (on XP), I can open two files and each appears in its own window with the full Word menu. About a week ago, suddenly, I could open two (or more files), but I could only view one at a time because they each appears in the same window. When I try to compare the documents, they both appear together in the window, each one in its own smaller window and without a menu.

I know this sounds like a minor problem (or perhaps not a problem at all), but it's driving me NUTS! I want to be able to have two windows, with full menu capability in each, that can be placed side by side.

I've searched the Help document, and I've experimented with everything I can think of, and nothing fixes it.

Does anyone know what I need to do to return to the original setup?

THANKS!!
Patricia
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 22:03
English to Spanish
Frames? Jun 27, 2008

Are you referring to "Frames"? My Word 2003 is in Spanish, but I'll try to guide you.

On Word menu:

VIEW > TOOL BAR > FRAMES > DELETE FRAME.

That should work.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thanks, but ... Jun 27, 2008

Thank you, Tadzio! However, when I followed the instructions (which were perfectly clear), the "frames" option is already toggled off. I launched the frames menu bar, opened a new frame, and then deleted that. But that had no effect.

Any other ideas?
¡Saludos!

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:03
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Organize all Jun 27, 2008

Hi Patricia,

Open a couple of files in Word, then go to Window, Organize all (Organizar todo in my Spanish version) and see what happens.

I think this might solve your problem.
Regards,
Marina

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thanks again, but ... Jun 27, 2008

Marina,

Thank you, but I already tried that. What I get is two windows inside the main window (gee, this is hard to explain!). In other words, each of the small windows doesn't have a menu, and they are both visible at the same time. In the old set up I had, you could compare them side by side, or as an alternative, you could look at one, and then minimize it, and the other one would be revealed "behind" the one that was minimized. Now, every time I want to see a different window
... See more
Marina,

Thank you, but I already tried that. What I get is two windows inside the main window (gee, this is hard to explain!). In other words, each of the small windows doesn't have a menu, and they are both visible at the same time. In the old set up I had, you could compare them side by side, or as an alternative, you could look at one, and then minimize it, and the other one would be revealed "behind" the one that was minimized. Now, every time I want to see a different window, I have to go to "Windows" and select the document I want--when I've got 5 or 6 open at time, my head swims while I'm trying to figure out what to click on!

¡Saludos!
P.
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
Screen snapshot Jun 27, 2008

Hey Patricia,
Can you take a snapshot of your Word problem, and use the "Send file (beta)" on my profile, so we can glance at it and help you better?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:03
English to German
+ ...
Multiple Document Interface vs. Single Document Interface Jun 27, 2008

Hi Patricia,
Looks like you switched the default setting in Word 2003 (Single Document Interface or SDI) to Multiple Document Interface (MDI). Quoting from the MS Knowledge Base:

By default, versions of Word that are later than Microsoft Word 97 use the Single Document Interface (SDI) design, in which each document occupies its own window (just as in Microsoft Outlook each message occupies its own window). This behavior is different from Word 97 and earlier versions of Word, which use the Multiple Document Interface (MDI), in which each document is a separate window within the Word program window. SDI was introduced in Word 2000.

To toggle between SDI and MDI, go to Tools - Options - View and use the Windows in Taskbar check box.

HTH,
Ralf

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:03
English to Thai
+ ...
Window>Arrange all, compare side by side with ..., Split Jun 27, 2008

Please try setting the Word menu:

Window>Arrange all, compare side by side with ..., Split
and Minimize/Maximize windows.

to change views of your documents.

Regards,

Soonthon L.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Ralf's solution works! Jun 27, 2008

Yippee! Thank you all for your time in trying to help, but Ralf's solution was the one that worked! I was about to do a print screen for Tadzio, but there really isn't much to look at, so I'll just skip that.

Thanks, Ralf!!!

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
Good!! Jun 27, 2008

Fine!! I'm happy for you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word 2003: Only one window available at a time

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »