Wordcount soft based on text color?
Thread poster: Timothy Miller

Timothy Miller
Local time: 23:25
Japanese to English
Jul 18, 2008

Hey everyone, I know many people have posted things about wordcount software apps, but I have a quick question about them. I do proofreading and translation for a company with specific requirements. They like their documents translated in word, and separated by paragraphs with the Japanese above and the English below. It would be fine if I could just get a wordcount for the English parts only, but actually their Japanese paragraphs also have a rather large amount of Enlgish key words mixed in, so getting a wordcount with Word includes all of those Enlgish keywords as well. So my question is, is there some wordcount software that will only count words for text that is, for example, in blue? Or a certain font? Or anything like that? I am just wondering if there is a way for me to wordcount these documents without having to go back and subtract all the keywords mixed in with the Japanese paragraphs. Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
Italian to English
+ ...
Could you not just charge by target text? Jul 18, 2008

I've no idea if there's any software that can do what you asks (although it'd be a great feature), but surely the simplest thing to do with this client would be to charge on the source text rather than the target? Apologies if this isn't possible for your language combination for whatever reason, I have no familiarity with translation conventions in Japanese at all. It just strikes me as the simplest solution.

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Finding text in particular format Jul 18, 2008

Timothy Miller wrote:

So my question is, is there some wordcount software that will only count words for text that is, for example, in blue? Or a certain font? Or anything like that?

In Word you can find and delete (i.e. replace with nothing) all text of a certain colour/font/format, and this is possible in a single operation.

Go to the find&replace template, select "more", then "special" and "any character".
Then select "format" and go to "font" where you can choose the colour/format of the offending text.
Leave the "replace with" box empty.

Then just count the remaining text.

Italian to English
+ ...
Yes, that would certainly work Jul 18, 2008

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Timothy Miller wrote:

So my question is, is there some wordcount software that will only count words for text that is, for example, in blue? Or a certain font? Or anything like that?

In Word you can find and delete (i.e. replace with nothing) all text of a certain colour/font/format, and this is possible in a single operation.

Go to the find&replace template, select "more", then "special" and "any character".
Then select "format" and go to "font" where you can choose the colour/format of the offending text.
Leave the "replace with" box empty.

Then just count the remaining text.

Although unless there's a particular reason against it, using the target text word/character count would surely still be less time-consuming than having to go through each file by hand to change the format of alternate paragraphs.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:25
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
He IS trying to get the target count - restatement of the problem Jul 18, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Although unless there's a particular reason against it, using the target text word/character count would surely still be less time-consuming than having to go through each file by hand to change the format of alternate paragraphs.

I think you misunderstood the original posting.
As I understand, he is precisely trying to get the target (English) word count.

The problem is that he produced the translation (or got it for proofreading) in a document where the source and the target paragraphs are together, in an alternating fashion.

He is saying that simply using Word's word count feature is not good. Why?
Word gives a count for the total Non-Asian words included in the document.
If the Japanese text was purely Japanese, I mean only Japanese characters in it, this would be good as the only non-Asian text would be in the target text, so this would be his English wordcount.
The problem is, that the Japanese text has some English words in it, which is then included in the Non-Asian wordcount, thus giving him a higher count than the true target count.

This is his problem, this is what he is trying to solve, as far as I understand.

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Assumption Jul 18, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

... would surely still be less time-consuming than having to go through each file by hand to change the format of alternate paragraphs.

I was assuming that each language in the file already had a different colour.

I'm sure Timothy will put things clear when Tokyo wakes up.

Timothy Miller
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for thinking about this for me! Jul 19, 2008

To clear everything up, Katalin has summed up my problem well. AND, the reason that I was asking about text color etc., is that the client requires that the text have the Japanese paragraph, then the English paragraph, and that they are different colors. So the finalized file has to be in this format. And yes, I assure you that it is time consuming and totally annoying, but hey its their request so I can't do much about it! I believe they request that because they proofread on their end as well. SO...the final document which I want to check the word count of is alternating Japanese paragraphs (containing some English key words) and English paragraphs and the English paragraphs are in blue.

SO...if it was possible to mass delete all the black (Japanese paragraphs) text, that would be very helpful, and I will try that. BUT wouldn't it be nice if there was a wordcounter where you could specify that you wanted it to count only words in blue? Maybe I am the only one who needs something so specific. Anyways, thanks again for thinking about this for me!

Timothy Miller
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
OH, about source text charging. Jul 19, 2008

Well, charging by the souce characters probably of course would be easier, but that is not how the client wants to charge the document, so I am trying to see if I can find a an easy way to wordcount the target English words.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:25
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Timothy, are you translating or proofreading? Jul 19, 2008

If you are translating, then you could do a wordcount before you start translating (with only the Japanese text in the file). Then, at the end, when you inserted the English translations (with all the pretty colors they require) do another wordcount.
The difference is what you added during the translation, and that is your target wordcount.

[Módosítva: 2008-07-19 01:34]

Italian to English
+ ...
sorry guys, I did mean "use the source text"... Jul 19, 2008

I have a weird mental block where I keep on saying target when I mean source, and vice versa - it's most irritating for me and confusing for everyone else:

Anyway, if the two languages are already in different colours that removes my main objection to use of the target text (I do mean target in this case)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcount soft based on text color?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search