https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/116885-how_to_install_windows_xp_on_a_network.html

How to install Windows XP on a network.
Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:48
Flemish to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2008

1. Suppose you have a CAL (multiple license) of WinXP and you want to install it on a network to which 10 pc are connected. How do you proceed?

2. Suppose you are sitting somewhere in a computer room away from your home-pc and you want to access your home pc and work on it from a distance? Is this possible under Vista Ultimate?

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 03:48
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
What is "installing on a network"? Oct 1, 2008

Q1 - I don't understand what you mean by "install it on a network to which 10 pc are connected". Are the machines brand new and/or without an OS? If this is the case, it will be faster to install them from scratch. Or to install one machine, create an image of it and then restore that image on the others. There are options for installing an OS from the network (as opposed to from a CD/DVD), but one needs a server for that and setting it all up is not at all straghtforward.
Q2 - Yes, you do
... See more
Q1 - I don't understand what you mean by "install it on a network to which 10 pc are connected". Are the machines brand new and/or without an OS? If this is the case, it will be faster to install them from scratch. Or to install one machine, create an image of it and then restore that image on the others. There are options for installing an OS from the network (as opposed to from a CD/DVD), but one needs a server for that and setting it all up is not at all straghtforward.
Q2 - Yes, you do that in the same way that you would in XP. Via Remote Desktop. You have to let RDP traffic through your router or hardware firewall though. I am assuming you have allowed Remote Desktop Protocol in Vista's firewall.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:48
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Training room. Oct 1, 2008

Explanation 1 :
In a training room, there are 10 pcs. The other two are connected to the overhead projector of the trainer. 10 new pcs were bought with vista premium on them.
But some customers are not so fast as I with regard to renewing their software. Some prefer to work with WindowsXP and Office 2000.
So, I'll have to erase all Vista versions and install WinXP. In order not to loose to much time, I would like to do this once. I don't know if the owner bought 10 licenses or
... See more
Explanation 1 :
In a training room, there are 10 pcs. The other two are connected to the overhead projector of the trainer. 10 new pcs were bought with vista premium on them.
But some customers are not so fast as I with regard to renewing their software. Some prefer to work with WindowsXP and Office 2000.
So, I'll have to erase all Vista versions and install WinXP. In order not to loose to much time, I would like to do this once. I don't know if the owner bought 10 licenses or 1 CAL. I don't think the network is configured as server-client.
Explanation 2: did not use this feature. Will give it a try. So, if I leave here in the morning, I have to start the pc. I'll need access to through a university network, so that between courses, I can continue translating and I am only back the next day late in the evening, which means that the pc is running about 48 hours.
Do you have any idea how long a pc can run uninterrupted without crashing?

[Edited at 2008-10-01 18:16]
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 03:48
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Very, very long Oct 1, 2008

Where I work, a lot of the computers are left running all the time. I'd say a Windows PC that is in a good physical health (that is, no hardware problems and no overheating) can stay on for months without crashing. I will not even mention some workstations that have been turned off twice for the last year only because of planned power shutdowns and never needed restarting during that time.
The university may restrict access to specific ports and/or protocols, which would make working via
... See more
Where I work, a lot of the computers are left running all the time. I'd say a Windows PC that is in a good physical health (that is, no hardware problems and no overheating) can stay on for months without crashing. I will not even mention some workstations that have been turned off twice for the last year only because of planned power shutdowns and never needed restarting during that time.
The university may restrict access to specific ports and/or protocols, which would make working via RDP difficult or impossible. If this is the case, other solutions should be sought - like Hamachi or Teamviewer. But I have no personal experience with them, so I can't say much about them.

Regarding the multiple installations - either install one machine, create an image and then restore it on others. Or create a custom Windows installation that requires as little user intervention as possible, burn it on 10 disks and let it run on all machines at once.
In the former case there is the advantage that you can setup Windows and install all software beforehand. But you'll have to change computer names after restoring the images and probably use the NewSID tool (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx). There is the free Microsoft tool called sysprep that somewhat automates these tasks (by deleting some settings and letting the user enter them the first time Windows starts), but it needs some reading first - which takes time.
The second approach is somewhat slower, but is more conventional. On the other hand, the additional software on every machine will need to be installed and configured from scratch.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to install Windows XP on a network.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »