Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:11
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2008

Hi all.

I have a client who has manuals that have been laid out using Corel Ventura. We need to translate them to Arabic.

Does anyone

1) Know if Ventura works with Arabic?
2) Know anyone who knows anything about how to use Ventura?

Our regular DTP guy has never worked with the software, and I don't get the impression it's very popular.

Thanks.
Sandra

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Outlook not too bright Nov 12, 2008

Sandra,

Last time I had a peek at Ventura, its name was Ventura Publisher 2.0, and ran on a state-of-the-art 4.77 MHz PC-XT. At the same time I tried Aldus (it wasn't Adobe yet) PageMaker 3.0, and chose it for my working tool. Yet today I use PageMaker 6.52 , and I'm still searching for that publication that would require more than PM has to offer.

Nevertheless, I read a gloomy comment, such as:

But then, it's also true that there are cultural aspects of Arabic that just don't exist for European languages: it could well be that reading badly set Arabic is far more like having your eyeballs sandpapered than the effects of anything you could torture out of Ventura Publisher.

The complete article is at http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008054o-2000331777b,00.htm

Tell you what I'd do. Get someone to use Corel Ventura to extract everything that is needed from the original publication: pictures, lines, graphic elements, charts, drawings, whatever, and give that to your DTP artist to rebuild it with their preferred software. After it's distilled into a PDF, nobody will see the difference.

Quiite frankly, I've used PageMaker to rebuild - often from PDF files - publications originally made with FrameMaker, QuarkXpress, and the horrible Microsoft Publisher. Amazingly, I did it faster than the guys who used the original version to implement a translation there.

I do DTP in my translation pair, of course, and in three more languages that I speak, but don't translate professionally, however Arabic is not among them. So... good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ventura DTP?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »