Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 23:42
English to Greek
+ ...
Dec 4, 2008

Hello all,

Today, I got a strange Babylon message on my screen, that I have "overused" my Babylon license. The reason? I have installed it both on my desktop and my laptop. As they mention on their site,

"Babylon licenses are sold per computer.
A very common misconception is installing Babylon on two or more computers
being used by the same owner.

During the last month, Babylon went through an automatic
... See more
Hello all,

Today, I got a strange Babylon message on my screen, that I have "overused" my Babylon license. The reason? I have installed it both on my desktop and my laptop. As they mention on their site,

"Babylon licenses are sold per computer.
A very common misconception is installing Babylon on two or more computers
being used by the same owner.

During the last month, Babylon went through an automatic process of
resetting overused licenses.

When a license was monitored as being overused and blocked,
a new license was created and sent to its owner's original Email
address to replace the overused one.

If your license was blocked, first check the Email account under which you
purchased the related Babylon license, where you will find our letter
containing the replacement license."

I need to point out that I find their approach to be unreasonable, as it is well known that language professionals quite often use more than one computers, either for security - backup reasons or for mobility reasons. Not even Trados is so strict about its licenses. It is good to protect your copyright, but on more reasonable grounds.

[Edited at 2008-12-04 07:42 GMT]
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Fully agree Dec 6, 2008

I had the same problem, with regard to a perfectly valid license bought in March 2008.
I was amazed by this attitude of a single-pc license. Almost all software products that I bought allow up to 3 computers (Norton, Office, Trados etc.), so why does Babylon behave in such a petty way?

As a matter of principle, I refused to buy the 3-pc license for 70 dollars, and have the other pcs use freeware alternatives - hopefully Babylon should learn something from the dropping numbers
... See more
I had the same problem, with regard to a perfectly valid license bought in March 2008.
I was amazed by this attitude of a single-pc license. Almost all software products that I bought allow up to 3 computers (Norton, Office, Trados etc.), so why does Babylon behave in such a petty way?

As a matter of principle, I refused to buy the 3-pc license for 70 dollars, and have the other pcs use freeware alternatives - hopefully Babylon should learn something from the dropping numbers of new customers/license renewals...

Anyway, in this case you should reapply your existing key in order to continue using the existing license.

Doron
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now it's expired, too!!! Dec 11, 2008

My license would work for a day or two after my first posting, but now it gives me the message that it has expired, and it prompts me to "buy a license at a discount"!!!!!

I wouldn't buy another license for all the discounts in the world! I've already paid for a license and not even a year later I get this petty behaviour! Of course, nobody from Babylon has bothered to answer to my e-mails, in which I was asking for an explanation and for renewal of my license.

All I
... See more
My license would work for a day or two after my first posting, but now it gives me the message that it has expired, and it prompts me to "buy a license at a discount"!!!!!

I wouldn't buy another license for all the discounts in the world! I've already paid for a license and not even a year later I get this petty behaviour! Of course, nobody from Babylon has bothered to answer to my e-mails, in which I was asking for an explanation and for renewal of my license.

All I have to say is this: stay away from providers who abuse their clients' trust and treat them with such disregard.
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:42
English to French
Same problem over here… Dec 16, 2008

Hi all,

Same problem over here. One of my premium dictionaries stopped working a few weeks ago, so I submitted a support request and got an answer within 3 days with a new license code for this premium dictionary (it was the Larousse Chambers ENFR).

But now it is my main Babylon license which stopped working! Telling me it has expired when I had a permanent license, not a yearly subscription!

This time, I first sent a email (about 10 days ago, still no answ
... See more
Hi all,

Same problem over here. One of my premium dictionaries stopped working a few weeks ago, so I submitted a support request and got an answer within 3 days with a new license code for this premium dictionary (it was the Larousse Chambers ENFR).

But now it is my main Babylon license which stopped working! Telling me it has expired when I had a permanent license, not a yearly subscription!

This time, I first sent a email (about 10 days ago, still no answer) through their web interface. Today I sent another one to one of the direct support emails I got a reply earlier. And they will have to reply. Whatever their new license agreement may say, I never had to accept such new arrangements.

I think that having several of us having a collective action may have much more weight. I mean, Babylon is a great tool, but such behaviour will surely lead to their end if they continue this way.

Ah, yes… my Babylon is installed on a single computer. Of course, over time (I'm using it since v4), the computer has changed, but so far, it has been only on a single one. Just as you all, I was amazed to see such behaviour from an editor. If they don't want to see people turn to illegal solutions, they will have to solve that, and quickly.
Collapse

Madonno
Madonno
English
Same thing here Dec 25, 2008

But I don't use it on more than one PC! It seems it also freaks out when you have several user accounts on your PC! That's the only thing I can imagine happening here. It's very annoying. And customer support is rather slow!
So what is this? Sorta "ONE USER LICENSE "?!?

pooh_bear138 (X)
pooh_bear138 (X)

English
Babylon really are scam-merchants Dec 25, 2008

I have had an email today - Christmas Day, no less - telling me I have a licence problem. This is after an episode a few months ago when I couldn't use the software for several weeks before they sorted it out. Then I had more than one operating system on my computer so they counted that as multiple use. Now I have replaced my computer and again they want me to buy another licence (at a discount, so generous of them) - no explanation or apology if they have made a mistake.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr... See more
I have had an email today - Christmas Day, no less - telling me I have a licence problem. This is after an episode a few months ago when I couldn't use the software for several weeks before they sorted it out. Then I had more than one operating system on my computer so they counted that as multiple use. Now I have replaced my computer and again they want me to buy another licence (at a discount, so generous of them) - no explanation or apology if they have made a mistake.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I love how they say on the support page that it's a "common misconception" - too right it's a misconception because Babylon don't ever explain that anywhere in the purchase process. And do they expect you to purchase multiple licences of the dictionaries as well....?!!

They make my blood boil and I will NEVER buy from them again or recommend them.
Collapse

Ottar Friis
Ottar Friis
Local time: 22:42
English
Mine stopped working too Dec 26, 2008

I also received E-mails about my "license problem". I have no license problem anymore, but Babylon have! There may be many reasons for using different PC's, or different user accounts on the same PC, but rules are rules you know. I just have to accept that they managed to grab some of my money, but they will not get another chance. If I accept this robbery , what will then come next ? I just don't want to know. And what are they actually monitoring on my computers ?

I will learn gr
... See more
I also received E-mails about my "license problem". I have no license problem anymore, but Babylon have! There may be many reasons for using different PC's, or different user accounts on the same PC, but rules are rules you know. I just have to accept that they managed to grab some of my money, but they will not get another chance. If I accept this robbery , what will then come next ? I just don't want to know. And what are they actually monitoring on my computers ?

I will learn greek anyway. I'm almost halfway through my αλφαβητάριο (ABC book) and will make my way through it, Babylon or not. Spending more time in Crete may be the answer, even if it is at the other end of Europe. It's definitely more fun and the crime rate is much lower there than on the Internet.
So be warned

P.S. If the license rules allow me to install Babylon on one single computer, can I then make this computer available to all of you through Internet desktop sharing ?
Collapse

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here: licence "has expired" Dec 28, 2008

Ottar Friis wrote:

I will learn greek anyway. I'm almost halfway through my αλφαβητάριο (ABC book) and will make my way through it, Babylon or not. Spending more time in Crete may be the answer, even if it is at the other end of Europe. It's definitely more fun and the crime rate is much lower there than on the Internet.
So be warned

P.S. If the license rules allow me to install Babylon on one single computer, can I then make this computer available to all of you through Internet desktop sharing ?

The same happpened to me. I have the same problem: I had a perfectly valid license bought in October 2007. Now they say my licence has expired... (???)

Product Details:
==========================================
Product Name Babylon 7 + Britannica Special 20% offer
*****License Period -- ******* (NO PERIOD WHATSOEVER!!!)
Quantity 1
Price(USD) 79
Sub Total(USD) 79
Product Details:
Product Name Backup CD + Shipping
License Period CD
Quantity 1
Price(USD) 14.9
Sub Total(USD) 15
Grand Total (USD): 94

I cannot use it now. Is this a theft? Can we do something?
They don't answer our mails.
I submitted a support request and did not get any answer.
Inés

pooh_bear138 (X)
pooh_bear138 (X)

English
What gets me... Dec 29, 2008

...is that their emails and screens nagging you about your "compliance problem" always direct you to the store to buy another licence. There is not the slightest recognition that whatever system they are using to monitor you could be mistaken....

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On the other hand, what gets me... Dec 29, 2008

... is that they haven't even bothered to send a two-word answer to the support e-mails I sent them. Who do they think they are to treat us that way?

Ines Garcia Botana
English to Spanish
+ ...
A collective action... Dec 29, 2008

Denis HAY wrote:

I think that having several of us having a collective action may have much more weight. I mean, Babylon is a great tool, but such behaviour will surely lead to their end if they continue this way.

I am having the same problem: My license expired when I had a permanent license, not a yearly suscription either. So, what can we do?

Inés

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Staff notified Dec 29, 2008

Dear colleagues,

as this sofware was recently advertised on ProZ.com, I notified the Staff on the matter- I hope they have some contact details of the manufacturers and will inform them on this thread. Let's see if this will result in something.

Uldis

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to hear Dec 29, 2008

Thank you very much, Uldis, for letting us know. It is great to know that Proz is supporting us at matters like this. I'm sure we all appreciate the support, no matter what the result will be. Thanks again.

Ines Garcia Botana
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good idea Dec 29, 2008

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Dear colleagues,

as this sofware was recently advertised on ProZ.com, I notified the Staff on the matter- I hope they have some contact details of the manufacturers and will inform them on this thread. Let's see if this will result in something.

Uldis

Thank you, Uldis.
I remembered reading about Babylon at Proz.com, tried to find it but all to no avail. Hope it helps to shed some light on this subject. It’s shameful the way Babylon treats his long time customers.

Inés

Ines Garcia Botana
English to Spanish
+ ...
Any news?? Jan 3, 2009

Don’t let them get away with it ...

Inés

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Babylon "overused licenses"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »