Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina
Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 06:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 19, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I´m thinking about purchasing WhiteSmoke, the English grammar assistance software.

I was wondering if you can share your experience with me, in case you have that software, concerning its usefulness.. I mean, is it really that good? Is it worth investing in it? Did it really help you to improve your English writing skills?

Any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Elena

Óscar Delgado Gosálvez
Óscar Delgado Gosálvez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:36
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not too good Mar 19, 2009

Hi Elena, greetings from next door Quito.

I purchased Whitesmoke lured by its promises and relatively affordable price. After two weeks of use, it went down the drain of useless (to me) applications.

First of all, it doesn't offer much more than Microsoft Grammar and Spell checker. Second, it is definitely bothersome when you proceed to work in another language, such as Spanish or German, and Whitesmoke furiously insists, (until black smoke starts to puff out of m
... See more
Hi Elena, greetings from next door Quito.

I purchased Whitesmoke lured by its promises and relatively affordable price. After two weeks of use, it went down the drain of useless (to me) applications.

First of all, it doesn't offer much more than Microsoft Grammar and Spell checker. Second, it is definitely bothersome when you proceed to work in another language, such as Spanish or German, and Whitesmoke furiously insists, (until black smoke starts to puff out of my ears) to offer English suggestions.

Of course, it can be switched off.

I wasn't impressed with the quality of the suggestions. It might be practical for persons with a very poor command of English, or to English speakers with very poor writing skills. I mean, really poor, like people who write phonetically.

If you need an alternative to Microsoft, Babylon has some spellchecker abilities. Otherwise, for the time being, I would stick to olde Microsoft.

There are parallel forums about this topic on:
http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/125194-whitesmoke_version_2009_did_anybody_try_it_recently.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/46497-whitesmoke_and_other_english_language_editors.html

Regards, Óscar

[Edited at 2009-03-19 17:12 GMT]
Collapse

Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina
Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 06:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 19, 2009

Thanks Oscar!

Very useful information indeed, specially because I was just about to purchase WS in a special offer! I thought it was a good deal ...so good thing I asked first, eh!

Have a great and blessed day,

Elena

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:36
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Please see also the Babylon thread Mar 19, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/122294-babylon_overused_licenses.html

Uldis

Óscar Delgado Gosálvez wrote:
If you need an alternative to Microsoft, Babylon has some spellchecker abilities.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:36
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Without any additional comments: Mar 19, 2009

it isn't worth your money for sure. Absolutely useless.

Natalia

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:36
Member (2008)
French to English
not too promising Mar 19, 2009

Somehow they got a hold of my email and now send me daily tips. If their tips are anything to go by, the software is appropriate for people with no knowledge of English grammar whatsoever. I have no idea who their target audience is, but it isn't native speakers with a college education - or even those who had a good high school English teacher.

unhappy whitesmoke software is not what they advertise is to be. Oct 17, 2009

I purchased the WhiteSmoke Executive Version. With the purchase they said I would ge a back-up cd, it never happened. Beside that when you go under the enlish lesson part, the websites they have listed can no longer be found. I have requested a refund of $109.00. I sure hope I get my money. Nedra

Patricia Novelo
Patricia Novelo  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Whitesmoke strikes again Dec 18, 2010

Hi,
I was fool enough for buying this software, the problem here is that besides being an expensive software which gives you less than expected you have to be extra careful with the card data you provide, because they will continue making charges without your authorization. And then no body takes responsibility or refund you.

Please don't buy this product.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I´d like your comments concerning WhiteSmoke

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »