Free-ware software to record sound via PC - suggestions needed
Thread poster: Daniel Lindoff

Daniel Lindoff  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 18, 2009

Hi

I'm looking for free- ware software to record sound via my PC. I tried freehiQ, audacity, and freeMP3. I'm not satisfied at all. I'm not accustomed with these tools. Thats something to consider. Appreciate all help I can get.

Respectfully

Daniel

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-18 11:00 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
English to Polish
+ ...
Windows Sound Recorder (part of the Windows system) May 18, 2009

In Windows XP:
Start > All programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Sound recorder.

This little program is as basic as you can get. You plug in a microphone into your sound card, click the "record" button and off you go.
There is a number of quality options for saving your sound file (WAV, MP3 and WMA).

The length of the recorded file is limited only by space on you hard drive.
A 1 minute sound file recorded in stereo at 44 100 kHz 16 bit (CD quality) is about 10 MB in size. (Obviously, with a single microphone, your sound file will be mono anyway).

Best,
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2009-05-18 12:02 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:32
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
AIMP May 18, 2009

AIMP — link

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
AudioGrabber May 18, 2009

I am using AudioGrabber, mostly because it has other functions such as conversion etc. Its recording options are quite nice, however (splitting on silence, scheduled recording, convert to mp3).

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Freecorder (now Applian Asktoolbar?) May 18, 2009

I've been very pleased with Freecorder. It looks like it is now called "Asktoolbar":
http://applian.com/asktoolbar/

Record Audio from ANY Site

For sites that make it difficult to download audio files you can use the Record Audio tool to make MP3 files from ANYTHING you hear on your PC. Ask & Record Toolbar comes with two different recording technologies, just in case your PC doesn't support one of them.

AFAIK you can use it for websites, microphone input, etc. The toolbar integrates nicely into your web browser (at least it did for Firefox). I found it very intuitive to use. The quality is reasonably good, especially for the spoken word. If you want to record music (e.g. from youtube) and then try to listen to it on an mp3 player it's not ideal but I don't think that has anything to do with the software You can record in .wav and .mp3 formats. It looks like this newer version also offers video and conversion capabilities.

Whatever software you're using, be sure to look at the settings, e.g. resolution (probably want to maximize, especially for music) and mono/stereo (if supported in the source and output e.g. wav).

[Edited at 2009-05-18 12:29 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, Windows' own sound recorder May 18, 2009

PAS wrote:
In Windows XP:
Start > All programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Sound recorder.

Just be careful... sometimes there is a default maximum recording length, and you only realise it when you play back your 5 minutes of speech and find that there is only 1 minute or recording. Also note that when you stop and start recording again, the recording continues from where you left off, and not from the beginning.

What do you want to record? For what purpose?

Karol Kacprzak  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
May 18, 2009

[Edited at 2009-05-18 14:17 GMT]

Daniel Lindoff  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 21, 2009

Thank you for your response. I finished the audio with audacity. The quality was OK, not perfect. I'll take my time and take a peak at the different softwares.

Again, thank you.

Best regards

Daniel

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Bad audio = bad mike? May 21, 2009

Daniel Lindoff wrote:
I finished the audio with audacity. The quality was OK, not perfect. I'll take my time and take a peak at the different softwares.

Poor quality may be a result of the fact that your microphone is of a poor quality. Audacity can improve bad sound a bit, but not by much.

Software to record sound via PC Sep 17, 2011

On your Windows systems, you could use the Windows sound recorder simply. BTW, to record sound from PC, you could also try to use other software, for example, you might search for a streaming audio recorder. I have checked that it has 30 days free trial.

Notice that this is an old question, just paste my information for your reference.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's not in the software Sep 17, 2011

Daniel Lindoff wrote:
Thank you for your response. I finished the audio with audacity. The quality was OK, not perfect. I'll take my time and take a peak at the different softwares.

Daniel, when I saw your post (late), I though of recommending Audacity. Though I use Acoustica and Sony SoundForge, I know colleagues who deliver professional results with Audacity.

Is your hardware any good? Some sound cards, especially those embedded in the computer motherboard, are pretty bad. Also, if you use a cheap microphone directly plugged to the sound board, chances are the result won't be acceptable.

One of these pro-sound users of Audacity has a US$ 3-digit microphone connected via a professional preamp/mixer to her computer high-quality sound card. While this may be an overkill for what you intend to do, it's worth checking your hardware.

Audio sampling rate also makes a lot of difference, as well as file types. While 44.1 WAV files may be huge, they compromise very little.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free-ware software to record sound via PC - suggestions needed

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search