Petya Ivanova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:47
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2009

Hello,
I represent a small translation agency.
I would be happy if someone can help me with information on project management software which I can use to track projects, freelancers, invoices (overdue, outstanding).

I deleted the price related sentence so not to cause any discussion on prices of software.

[Edited at 2009-06-06 12:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-06-06 12:38 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sorry - a bit off-topic Jun 6, 2009

Petya Ivanova wrote:

...since we are a small company we cannot afford EUR 800 software.

I find it a bit disconcerting that a company doesn't feel it has enough capital to invest €800 in its business.

At the same time many translation agencies (please note that I'm generalising here and don't in anyway refer to your agency) demand that freelancers buy expensive CAT tools. Some of them costing more than $800.

I would be very hesitant to work for an agency which is unable/unwilling to invest such a "small" amount in its business. My main worry would be: does this agency have enough resources to pay its freelancers promptly? Even if the agency ends up with a defaulting end client? As I'm sure you're aware, defaulting end clients are the agency's problem, not the freelancer's.

[Edited at 2009-06-06 12:25 GMT]

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sorry - a bit off-topic Jun 6, 2009

Double posting

[Edited at 2009-06-06 12:32 GMT]

Petya Ivanova
Petya Ivanova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Bulgarian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Madeleine - Good point Jun 6, 2009

I completely agree with all you have said. But:
- We are willing to invest more that EUR 800 and we have done it so far but "at this stage" we want a temporary solution for project tracking until we made the decision to buy a software.
- We are not defaulting our clients.
- We do pay our freelancers, actually I tend to work as a team with them.
Thanks anyway, Madeleine

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My two cents Jun 6, 2009

Petya Ivanova wrote:
I would be happy if someone can help me with information on project management software which I can use to track projects, freelancers, invoices (overdue, outstanding).

I wonder if it is wise to rely on software to track these things if you haven't done so manually yourself before. I mean, if you don't know how to bookkeeping (for example), do you think a bookkeeping program will help at all? I have had a personal experience of this when I had to do project management, and none of the project management software that I tried was of any use... because they all assume that I already know how to do project management. So, I wonder if project management software isn't more aimed at people who already know how to do project management. Even if the tool was designed for translators and agencies -- how much of the tool is newbie education and how much of it is existing skill?

I know there are some good stuff on the market but since we are a small company we cannot afford EUR 800 software.

I do agree with Madeleine somewhat, but I also agree that EUR 800 is a lot of money to spend on something you're not sure will have any benefit.

I wonder if I would be giving bad advice if I were to suggest that you use Excel spreadsheets and pen-and-paper to keep track of projects for a few months, so that you know what is involved before you buy (or test) a project management system.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Projetex Jun 6, 2009

Not in every E.U.-country, the income/salary is as high as in Sweden and other Western-European Countries.
That said: Projetex (www.projetex.com) costs about 600 euros. The software from AIT usually is not that expensive. There is a 30 day free-trial period.

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:47
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
ERP - maybe Jun 6, 2009

I had no idea there were so many free ERP software tools:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ERP_software_packages
I suppose at least some of them could do the trick.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not meant to reflect on you and your agency Petya Jun 6, 2009

Petya Ivanova wrote:

- We are not defaulting our clients.
- We do pay our freelancers, actually I tend to work as a team with them.

Sorry Petya, didn't mean to insinuate that you and your agency default or don't pay. Just giving voice to the feelings I get when hearing about agencies unable/unwilling to invest in their business.

@Williamson

Not that this thread has anything to do with relative income in various geographical locations.

Gross income/salary has little to do with actual money earned. Net income/salary in Sweden (where I don't currently live - see my profile) is not that high if you take into account taxation and social fees. When I worked as a freelancer in Sweden four years ago I paid roughly 65% before deductions.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TransProCalc Jun 6, 2009

Take a look at Translation Project Calculator, a FREE/Open Source tool developed by our colleague Anthony Baldwin. See the release announcement Translation Project Calculator, a FREE/Open Source tool developed by our colleague Anthony Baldwin. See the release announcement here.

Kind regards,
Attila
Collapse

You should have a look at Beetext Flow SaaS ( 99$/mth/pm access) Jun 6, 2009

You should look at Beetext Flow SaaS workflow application. If you need more info about this application you can visit Beetext.com website or you can watch the overview intro video on the Beetext marketing banner on the proz.com page.

I also know that Beetext/proz.com currently offer a 30 days free trial with unlimited support to all proz.com members.

If you want to know more about this Workflow solution let me know.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Another possibility Jun 7, 2009

Have a look at Project ]open[ Translation. I rejected this ages ago, but more recently I'm taking another look, as the VMWare image setup is rather easy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project management software for a small translation agency

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »