Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:22
German to English
+ ...
Oct 22, 2009

I don't recall having seen this discussed, but it's important to me:
I am not fully informed about this but I think that most desktop search (DTS) programs return the results of their searches as a list of file names and locations.

I have installed Google DTS on my PC because I think it is the only one (or perhaps one of relatively few) that returns not only the file names where results are found, but also the contexts, i.e. the actual words containing the text t
... See more
I don't recall having seen this discussed, but it's important to me:
I am not fully informed about this but I think that most desktop search (DTS) programs return the results of their searches as a list of file names and locations.

I have installed Google DTS on my PC because I think it is the only one (or perhaps one of relatively few) that returns not only the file names where results are found, but also the contexts, i.e. the actual words containing the text that has been found, like Google search results on the Internet. When I'm looking for terminology this can be enough to answer my question, or at least to identify files not worth further examination in my search.
Hence my question: Am I correct in this supposition and, if not, which other DTS software returns results immediately with the context, not only the file names?

Looking forward to your replies,
Oliver
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Copernic Oct 22, 2009

In Copernic DTS you click on "Open Main Window" for a full screen list and then click on individual file names for an instant display of the text with the search term highlighted (not opening the file in a separate window).
Hope that helps.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
baidu desktop Oct 23, 2009

baidu, the biggest Chinese search engine player, has a desktop search application that has this feature too.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
May be more work than Google DTS Oct 23, 2009

Russell Jones wrote:
In Copernic DTS you click on "Open Main Window" for a full screen list and then click on individual file names for an instant display of the text with the search term highlighted (not opening the file in a separate window).
Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks for your reply. It means that C. DTS probably needs more work than G. DTS because once I have clicked to start the search with G. DTS, all the results are displayed in context on one page and I only have scroll to see them if it's more than 1 screenfull

However, if the answer that I want is not clear from the displayed context, it takes a bit more work. There's a clickable link next to each of these results to show me a "preview" but the search terms are not highlighted there. there's another link "open folder" which opens Windows Explorer and then I have to click a file in there to open it. In those cases, C. DTS may be faster overall.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wilma from Redtree Oct 23, 2009

Oliver Walter wrote:
I don't recall having seen this discussed, but it's important to me.

It has been discussed, yes. Try searching the forums for the names of a few of these tools.

Hence my question: Am I correct in this supposition and, if not, which other DTS software returns results immediately with the context, not only the file names?

Some are more customisable than others. If you want a small one to index only certain folders or if you want to create multiple, separate indexes, try Wilma from Redtree:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/redtree/wilma/en/help/index.html

I've tried a number of these tools a year or two ago, but none of them offered multiple indexes, ability to specify specific files and folders, and on-demand reindexing. Wilma (and the other Wilbur) are the only ones I found that can do that. Perhaps things have changed in the mean time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Desktop search: what results?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »