Thread poster: Tony M

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:26
French to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2009

I'm using Windows XP.

I just wondered if anyone knows of (or has) a utility that could do a simple but boringly repetitive task for me?

I have loads of separate files (as it happens, they're audio files, though I don't think that's particularly relevant here), and each one is in a separate directory (folder) — which contains just this one file.

What I would like to do is to strip all the files out of their individual folders (which can then be scrapped), and end up with all the files in one master directory (folder).

Surely there must be a simple way of doing this? At the moment, I can do it manually in Windows Explorer, but with hundreds of these files to do, it's taking ages.

I think in DOS I could probably have come up with a little batch file to do the job for me, but that's all a long time ago now, and I wouldn't know where to start under Windows.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:26
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
It depends on the folder structure Nov 16, 2009

Hi Tony,

It all depends on the folder structure but maybe you could use Windows Explorer in a folder higher up the tree, search for files with e.g. *.wav and copy the results to a new file.

Regards,
Gerard

Frédéric Pizzaia  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
English to French
+ ...
Use Windows Search Engine Nov 16, 2009

Hi,

The idea is more or less the same as mentioned before.

On Windows, go to "Start", then select the "Search tools".
When the search tool is opened, among the options, select "All Files and Computer",
write the file extension in the box ( *.wav , *.mp3, etc).
Then browse to the upper folder where you have saved all the audio files.
When the search options are clearly defined, click on "Search".
All the audio related files will be shown in the Search result box.
Then you select all of them, do a copy, and finally paste it in the folder you want.

Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
German to English
Use the command line in Windows XP Nov 17, 2009

Hi Tony,

You can still do tasks like this on the command line in Windows XP. If this is something you have done in the past, then you may find this site useful:

http://commandwindows.com/command1.htm

Cheers,

Rob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving files out of individual directories into a common one

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search