https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/15369-fine_reader_versus_scansoft_omnipage_pro.html

Fine Reader versus ScanSoft Omnipage Pro
Thread poster: Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov
Iouri Belooussov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:35
English to Russian
Oct 29, 2003

Dear All!

Can anybody tell me the good thing about ScanSoftOmniPage if compared to Fine Reader in relation to conversion of PDF files to Word documents. Or those are different approache software?

I use only Fine Reader now and never tried Scan Soft. Working of PDF files doesn't bother me much in Fine Reader, although it's time consuming but I like the process somehow.

So the question really is:
What software handles PDF files better?

Goo
... See more
Dear All!

Can anybody tell me the good thing about ScanSoftOmniPage if compared to Fine Reader in relation to conversion of PDF files to Word documents. Or those are different approache software?

I use only Fine Reader now and never tried Scan Soft. Working of PDF files doesn't bother me much in Fine Reader, although it's time consuming but I like the process somehow.

So the question really is:
What software handles PDF files better?

Good luck,

Iouri

[Edited at 2003-10-29 13:47]
Collapse

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Look here Oct 29, 2003

Hi

Look here
http://www.proz.com/topic/13970
+
Pdf grabber is anohter program
Search in the web.

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have tried both Oct 29, 2003

Hi Iouri,

I have tried both the new PDF converter for MS Word by ScanSoft and the Abby Fine Reader 7. Both softwares are ok but they offer different results. Please see below:

PDF converter for MS Word by ScanSoft
1) It is associated to Word and it works as such - so you don't have a different program just a sort of plug-in for Word that connects PDF to Word.
2) Good results for text and simple tables. If you only convert text and simple tables this is a goo
... See more
Hi Iouri,

I have tried both the new PDF converter for MS Word by ScanSoft and the Abby Fine Reader 7. Both softwares are ok but they offer different results. Please see below:

PDF converter for MS Word by ScanSoft
1) It is associated to Word and it works as such - so you don't have a different program just a sort of plug-in for Word that connects PDF to Word.
2) Good results for text and simple tables. If you only convert text and simple tables this is a good program. Graphics are somehow converted but I didn't get a good result on my documents.
3) Pictures are kept as JPEG or other image file and if there is text in it you can't edit it.
4) Conversion is simple and fast.
5) It is a converter and isn't a OCR program.
6) Not a very expensive tool.

Abby Fine Reader 7
1) It is a OCR program that you can use to convert electronic PDF files as well.
2) I haven't tried it as a OCR yet so can't say anything about results together with a scanner.
3) Conversion is simple and faster than with the PDF converter for MS Word by ScanSoft. I have converted several large documents to try it (documents over 200 pages).
4) I got wonderful results for text and simple tables conversion - slightly better than the results from PDF Converted by Scan Soft. For instance, Fine Reader 7 converted index and headers and footers that looked just as in the original.
5) Complex/larger tables were also converted ok and only small amendments will be necessary.
6) As for graphics I got similar results using both systems.
7) Pictures are kept as JPEG or other image file and if there is text in it you can't edit it.
8 ) It has a language feature and will correct any misconversion according to the language selected.
9) You can try this free for 15 days.

I already had bought the PDF converter by Scansoft when I found the Abby Fine Reader 7, but if the later proves to be a good OCR program as well I might consider the investment.

There is another tool I have tried and with which I got results similar to those of Fine Reader 7. It is called Drake and you can try it free at http://www.bcltechnologies.com/document/products/drake/drake.htm

The Drake software proved well (similar to Fine Reader) and I got excelent results in the conversion of pictures. Graphics didn't convert well. Another minus is that this is very expensive to buy and is a plug-in so there isn't much you can do with it except PDF conversion to RTF.

If you want any further help do please let me know. Also, please note my opinion is just that. Results might vary according to files converted. I have converted the same files with these 3 programs to be sure about the results but any other experiences you might have will also be appreciated.

Also, as the coleague in the previous posting says there is more on this at http://www.proz.com/topic/13970. I have tried most of the programs mentioned on that thread and these 3 are, in my opinion, the best so far.

Best regards,
Mónica Machado (MIL)

English into European Portuguese Translator
Member of APT and IOL & Associate Member of ITI
Portugal
E-mail: [email protected]
http://monicamachado.planetaclix.pt

[Edited at 2003-10-29 16:35]

[Edited at 2003-10-29 16:39]
Collapse

Iouri Belooussov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 29, 2003

This is what I somewhat expected to be the reality. There are so many products nowadays offering slightly different but in general common features that I think I will be using my "good old" Fine Reader and not waste time and money on other OCRs. Thank you

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

I remember some time ago I tried ScanSoft but I do not like.
FineReader is far more better than any scanning software. It has also language perferences. As much as I understand It recognize via some comparisions with reference language and other preference set and pick up the best fit for given target scan subject.
It has not yet Mathematical preference (ro recognize mathematical formals) but it has chemical setting.
After scanning You may individually select target fields to re-scan, that is editing your batch file to get exact transformation of pdf.
Adobe Professional 6.0 has some advanced export/Save As functions giving sometime exactly the same of source pdf. But for some other pdf it gives very terrible result. I think it is not working good on some kind of pdfs.(Perhaps according to preparation of pdf.)

Iouri Belooussov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 29, 2003

Thank you

Total Recall wrote:

Hi

Look here
http://www.proz.com/topic/13970
+
Pdf grabber is anohter program
Search in the web.

Iouri Belooussov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank's to everybody Oct 29, 2003

I really appreciate everyone's opinion on the subject topic. This will keep me from spending money and time trying other software. Thank you very much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fine Reader versus ScanSoft Omnipage Pro

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »