Thread poster: Patricia Rosas

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2010

Hi, fellow ProZers,

The other day, I updated Thunderbird to 3.0.1, and now I no longer have access to a Spanish-language spell checker. (The only one Mozilla offers is incompatible with this version.)

Does anyone know of a way I could install an add-in for this mail program that would check spelling in Spanish?

Are there other mail programs people could recommend that have a Spanish spell checker? I considered using Windows Live Mail, but amazingly it doesn't have a Spanish dictionary (it has Portuguese and Catalan ones, among others).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Patricia

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Schöntauf  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:18
Dutch to German
+ ...
Diccionario de Español/España 1.3.0 for Thunderbird: 2.0a1 – 3.1b1pre Feb 3, 2010

Hello Patricia,

maybe the (updated) package of the spell checker can help with Thunderbird?

https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/3554

I tried this version myself with Thunderbird 3.0.1. Working well. Hope it helps.

Jan

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, but it still doesn't work ... :-( Feb 3, 2010

Jan,

Thank you for sharing the link. It was a complicated process to install the add-on (it won't open if I download it from the web page, but I was able to access it by opening "add-ons" in the tools menu).

I installed it--got no error messages or any indication of a problem--and restarted Thunderbird (several times). However, when I run the spell check on an outgoing message, the only available dictionary is in English.

Are you running Windows 7 by any chance? If not, maybe this is the source of my problem.

Thanks for sharing the information!
Patricia

Jan Schöntauf  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:18
Dutch to German
+ ...
2nd attempt Feb 3, 2010

Hello Patricia,

Check under Tools > Add-ons if the dictionary was installed correctly. (Maybe the old Spniash dictionary is disabled and can be deinstalled.)
Check under Tools > Options > Composition > Spelling if the dictionary is listed. (You might want to check one or two of the check boxes there.)

When writing a message and with the cursor in the body text window I see a button "Spell" with an arrow down next to the button "Send". Click on the (tiny) arrow to change the language.

If you didn't activate "Enable spell check as you type", choosing the language should be possible after initiating the spell check. In the window "Check spelling" you can choose a language in the lower left corner.

Is this doesn't work, maybe try another dictionary to check if this error continues to exist.

Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish spell checker for Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.1 or alternative software

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search