https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/157547-handy_word_counter_for_adobe_acrobat_reader.html

Handy word counter for Adobe Acrobat Reader
Thread poster: John Fossey
John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:45
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2010

Here is a handy free plugin for Adobe Acrobat Reader. It adds a "Word Counter" item to the Tools menu.

It only works with text, not images.

Download from http://abracadabrapdf.net/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=17 , unzip and follow instructions.

Alma de Kok
Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:45
Member (2006)
Polish to Dutch
+ ...
Only seven languages Feb 10, 2010

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it is not available in Dutch and Polish. Only seven languages available... I'll stick to Abbyy's conversion into Word..

Alma

[Edited at 2010-02-10 09:28 GMT]

Maria Jose Albaya
Maria Jose Albaya  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you! Feb 10, 2010

This is very useful, thank you, John!

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
couldn't get it to install Feb 10, 2010

John,

Thanks for sharing the link. I'm wondering if you have the time to help me figure out why I couldn't install it?

I downloaded the English version, and hit the install button. Then Acrobat 9 opened with a document that said to move the .js file to the JavaScripts folder in Adobe/Acrobat, which I did. I then closed Adobe Acrobat and restarted it, but I can't find anything that says Abracadabra.

Patricia

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tools menu Feb 10, 2010

If the correct .js file has been put into the correct Javascript folder, when you click on the Tools menu on the top bar, one of the menu items should be "Word Counter". It doesn't say Abracadabra anywhere.

Make sure the Javascript folder belongs to the same version number of Adobe Reader that you are using - on my system I had 3 different Acrobat Reader folders.

Marina Aleyeva
Marina Aleyeva  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:45
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you John Feb 10, 2010

It is a useful tool, thank you so much for sharing!

John Fossey
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Acrobat Reader X Jul 11, 2011

If you have migrated to Acrobat Reader X you will need a more recent version of the word counter. It can be downloaded from http://abracadabrapdf.net/download/abracadabraCompteur_22.zip. The word counter will appear at the bottom of the Edit menu in Acrobat Reader X, once installed. It needs to be copied into the Reader/Javascripts folder for the Reader 10.0 version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handy word counter for Adobe Acrobat Reader

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »