TRADOS Starter edition -- suitable for "real" projects?
Thread poster: Neil Coffey

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
French to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2010

I'm one of those fuddy-duddy translators who has got by quite happily for several years without a CAT tool. I mainly work with direct clients and the issue has never really arisen. But for the occasional interesting-looking proposal from agencies that do request TRADOS, I was wondering if the TRADOS Starter edition was worth considering-- on paper it looks a little limited (5,000 translation units sounds limited...), but has anybody got any experience of using it for "proper" work or is it really only suitable for learning the system before buying the full version?

Thanks for people's opinions...!

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:23
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I'd give it a try Jun 24, 2010

I assume you are talking about the version that updates or expands to Studio 2009. I did actually download it, but decided for a variety of reasons to go for the full version.

One of those reasons is that I make a lot of use of Multiterm, the terminology database, which does not come with the trial version.

But if you have never had a CAT before, you will find plenty to work on with the starter version, and you will have other ways of managing your terminology.

You can do quite a lot of jobs before you hit the 5,000 units limit. Those are in fact sentences, so if you reckon seven to ten words per sentence (not counting repeats ) you get something like a month's work out of it or more.

It might seem overwhelming at first, but I would suggest ignoring all the fancy features until you have learnt the basics. If possible, get someone else to set up a project for you and simply try out translating, finding something in the concordance and editing a fuzzy match, to get used to the setup. Then proof it and finalise it, just to see how it works.

Once you know what you are aiming at, all the options for setting up a project begin to make sense, and you can take it from there.

For the kind of work I do, Multiterm is one of the best features of Trados, and among other things is ideal for keeping track of individual clients' internal terminology, but I know lots of people do quite well without it. It takes time to build up, but you can import glossaries and wordlists fairly easily if they are in the right format, so you can start it up later if you decide to go for the full version.

Best of luck!

[Edited at 2010-06-24 21:47 GMT]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:23
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wordfast anywhere Jun 24, 2010

I have a very strong preference for having the program on my computer – but if you are looking for a browser-based solution, I would definitely suggest that you try Wordfast Anywhere: it is free, there are no TM limitations, you can easily share the TM with a team, etc. See for example http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/172820-how_do_i_get_started_with_a_cat_tool-page2.html#1523459

Kind regards,
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS Starter edition -- suitable for "real" projects?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search