Babylon 8 incompatible with Microsoft Security Essentials
Thread poster: Alexander Chisholm

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2010

Has anyone else had this problem?
I have had Babylon 8 Pro installed on my main laptop for some time now and everything seemed fine. Recently, Microsoft Security Essentials issued a warning of a file to be cleaned, I did this and never thought anything of it. Then later, I noticed that Babylon was missing or no longer installed/available (the exact status was unclear).
Attempts to reinstall the software resulted in the same security message, and ignoring the message meant the software could be installed, but then later cleaning removed the software.
This is annoying for 2 reasons:
1) a tool is no longer available, although its true value is debatable
2) over zealous Bablyon sales staff keep calling me to ask about my download and if I want to buy an upgrade - they are very persistant, do not offer email support - only call centre, and do not seem to be aware of thuis problem.

I searched the forums thinking someone may have already reported this problem, but no success.

If anyone has come across this, or has a workaround, I would be very grateful.

Best regards.

Sandy

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:06
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Babylon 6 caused the same warning Aug 13, 2010

Hi Sandy,

Over here Babylon 6 caused the same warning last week. It seems Babylon uses an untrusted method to serve ads (to upgrade). It's hard to imagine that the people at Babylon haven't received lots of complaints.

When Microsoft Security Essentials discovers the problem for the first time you can pick an action. I told the program to trust Babylon or something similar.

Cheers,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Babylon 8 incompatible with Microsoft Security Essentials

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search