Suggestions for online quotation software ?
Thread poster: Ettore Peyrot
Ettore Peyrot
Ettore Peyrot  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:20
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 30, 2010

Can anybody suggest an effective online quotation software (a script accepting source language, target language, and project type inputs, thus displaying a per-word or per-keystroke value) ?
Thanks for your cooperation,
E.R.Peyrot

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
My experience Nov 30, 2010

I had OmniForm 4.0, which came bundled with one upgrade of OmniPage (OCR). Later I discovered that it is programmable with commands & syntax very similar to Applesoft BASIC (for the Apple II, mid-1980s), which I was very good at.

So I used OmniForm to develop a very clever form that would make very accurate and honest DTP estimates by filling certain data. I made it available for download on my web site. From the first 10 clients who
... See more
I had OmniForm 4.0, which came bundled with one upgrade of OmniPage (OCR). Later I discovered that it is programmable with commands & syntax very similar to Applesoft BASIC (for the Apple II, mid-1980s), which I was very good at.

So I used OmniForm to develop a very clever form that would make very accurate and honest DTP estimates by filling certain data. I made it available for download on my web site. From the first 10 clients who tried it, NONE of them was able to answer those simple questions (e.g. how many color pages? B&W? size? tables? how many pics requiring editing?) properly. So I gave up.

Later I created such a form for video estimates, covering all possible services in translation, titling, subtitling, editing, etc. The same happened. Pulled it off again.

Now *I* use these forms myself while analyzing the client's job.

If clients so often use an accountant to fill in their income tax returns (I do it myself), chances are that most people are not good at filling out forms, especially electronic. My opinion... don't waste your time. Let them upload/send the files to you, and do the analyzing yourself. If it's complex, you may set up a simple spreadsheet using Excel. It won't look good, but only you will see it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for online quotation software ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »