CE (Central European) Fonts in pdf Files (Adobe Acrobat 6.0)
Thread poster: Karen Ordanic
Karen Ordanic  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
English to Croatian
+ ...
Feb 22, 2004

Apparently, CE fonts are not embedded in Adobe Acrobat 6.0, so the diacriticals are not showing up correctly.

How could I correct this?

Thanks.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aquila Aurata
Local time: 12:24
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Perhaps... Feb 22, 2004

Karen,

Here is an article that might help you:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2eb4e.htm

Have you tried downloading the CE version of Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Peter


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Karen Ordanic  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Peter. I did try, but without success. Feb 23, 2004

Peter Marko wrote:

Karen,

Here is an article that might help you:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2eb4e.htm

Have you tried downloading the CE version of Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Peter


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:24
English to Czech
+ ...
What exactly is the problem? Feb 23, 2004

I am not sure what exactly is the problem. Are you trying to create a PDF file with Adobe Acrobat, or do you just want to open an existing PDF file with Adobe Reader (Acrobat Reader)?

If you are creating a PDF file, you should embed the fonts (see the link provided by Peter).

If you are opening a PDF file and the characters are not displayed correctly, then the font is probably not embedded and you have to install it to your computer.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Karen Ordanic  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Saving a PageMaker file as a PDF file Feb 23, 2004

Thank you very much for the answer.

I am trying to save a PageMaker 7.0 file, in which the Times New Roman CE font is correctly showing, by exporting it to a Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard PDF file. I did follow the procedure in the suggested link, but it does not work for me. CE fonts are also working fine in Word.

Thanks.

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I am not sure what exactly is the problem. Are you trying to create a PDF file with Adobe Acrobat, or do you just want to open an existing PDF file with Adobe Reader (Acrobat Reader)?

If you are creating a PDF file, you should embed the fonts (see the link provided by Peter).

If you are opening a PDF file and the characters are not displayed correctly, then the font is probably not embedded and you have to install it to your computer.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aquila Aurata
Local time: 12:24
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Other options Feb 23, 2004

Karen,

Perhaps there is a problem with PageMaker's export function. Try installing PDF995, which is a free PDF converter, available from here:

http://www.pdf995.com

Works as a printer driver, so the way to create a PDF file is to 'print' the document to this virtual printer. If this works, try reinstalling PageMaker. If it doesn't, try reinstalling Acrobat Reader.

Good luck!

Peter


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:24
English to Czech
+ ...
Sorry... Feb 23, 2004

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with PageMaker, so I can't give you any more suggestions.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:24
English to Polish
CE fonts and PageMaker Feb 23, 2004

KarenO wrote:

Thank you very much for the answer.

I am trying to save a PageMaker 7.0 file, in which the Times New Roman CE font is correctly showing, by exporting it to a Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard PDF file. I did follow the procedure in the suggested link, but it does not work for me. CE fonts are also working fine in Word.


Hello Karen,
What is your system? Adobe PageMaker is not fully compatible with OpenType fonts (Times New Roman is OpenType font in Win 2000/XP). You may need to make some virtual font substitutions.

BTW: what are the font embedding options in your installation of Acrobat?

Regards,
Wojtek


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Karen Ordanic  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows Win 2000/XP Feb 23, 2004

[quote]Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Hello.

Yes, I have Win 2000/XP. I think you are right about compatibility. Not sure about the font embedding options in Acrobat installation. I will check.

Thank you very much for your help.
Karen


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CE (Central European) Fonts in pdf Files (Adobe Acrobat 6.0)

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search