Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen
Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:19
English to Danish
+ ...
internet crashing w/video chat Dec 22, 2010

Speaking of skype, does anyone else experience problems with their internet "disconnecting" when they're video chatting? I have Vista and my internet is wired yet it frequently happens that the connection suddenly disappears (although the modem says it's still running) - ONLY when I'm using skype video chat. The only way that I've found to make my computer "find" the internet again is to restart. Gets quite frustrating when you're trying to have a conversation and have to restart several times i... See more
Speaking of skype, does anyone else experience problems with their internet "disconnecting" when they're video chatting? I have Vista and my internet is wired yet it frequently happens that the connection suddenly disappears (although the modem says it's still running) - ONLY when I'm using skype video chat. The only way that I've found to make my computer "find" the internet again is to restart. Gets quite frustrating when you're trying to have a conversation and have to restart several times in the course of maybe an hour.Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:19
Swedish to English
+ ...
I'm connected, but... Dec 22, 2010

Looks like I'm connected on a Mac with version 2.8.0.851. When first opened my MacBook tonight it looked like a few of my contact where online, but as soon as I tried to call one contact the connection hung forever and when I closed that window all my my contacts were greyed out.

I've been away for a few days, anyone know if Skype has recently closed down a certain organisation's account

PS. My MacBook (a
... See more
Looks like I'm connected on a Mac with version 2.8.0.851. When first opened my MacBook tonight it looked like a few of my contact where online, but as soon as I tried to call one contact the connection hung forever and when I closed that window all my my contacts were greyed out.

I've been away for a few days, anyone know if Skype has recently closed down a certain organisation's account

PS. My MacBook (and Skype) wasn't turned off - only in sleep mode. Maybe that's why it looks like I'm still online.

[Edited at 2010-12-22 20:41 GMT]
Collapse

Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
interesting thought... Dec 22, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

anyone know if Skype has recently closed down a certain organisation's account

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Website Dec 22, 2010

You'd think a website is a good way to quickly inform users about a failure. But no, instead you find a tip they have clearly not followed themselves:

"Holiday Tip #1
Avoid certain disaster and have mum guide you through the preparations
for the big feast over Skype Video."

Güzide Arslaner
Güzide Arslaner  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:19
Member (2010)
English to Turkish
+ ...
down or not Dec 22, 2010

Not 100% related to this issue because the subject matter is a software, but see this: http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com

I guess the domain is self-explanatory.
BTW, from time to time Skype is down today here in Turkey.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:19
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Not just skype? Dec 22, 2010

Is it just skype? I don't use skype but I've been having problems with connections and software crashing and freezing all day - anything that requires a connection, and I was surprised to find a colleague 3000 miles away having the same problems today.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Everything else works Dec 22, 2010

All of the other communication clients and VoIP applications work, so no problem with that. In the meantime, I saw the green light returning to Skype again, but only for a short time. So apparently, work is being done. Thank goodness that my business does not depend on it.

albie
albie
Local time: 15:19
English to Russian
Dec, 23 Dec 23, 2010

Tashkent, Morning. Still skype is unavaulable

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:19
Greek to English
Greece too Dec 23, 2010

Skype stopped working for me yesterday evening (about 7pm GMT) and ... there's that sound! ... has just this second come back on.

I don't see most of my contacts yet, though.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:19
Greek to English
... and off again Dec 23, 2010

Philip Lees wrote:

Skype ... has just this second come back on ...

... and is now off again. Oh well.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
New version... Dec 23, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

By the way, there is now a new version, namely 2.8.0.866. I just downloaded it, but this of course doesn't solve the connectivity issue.

Curious however that I was not notified about that new version through the automatic update function...

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
I'm connected Dec 23, 2010

No problem for me the 23th December at 10 AM.

Regards.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Already working fine Dec 23, 2010

here in Warsaw, Poland.

Natalia

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Not working yet in Northern Poland Dec 23, 2010

It flickered on and off briefly a few times between about 7 and 8 this morning - but it's been 'connecting' unsuccessfully ever since...

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:19
Swedish to English
+ ...
And it's all down to... supernodes Dec 23, 2010

According to this article:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/363919/skype-blames-super-nodes-for-massive-system-failure

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Skype problem

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »