https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/192235-tools_for_localization_translation_management_coordination.html

tools for localization/translation management/coordination
Thread poster: rma (X)
rma (X)
rma (X)
Feb 16, 2011

Hello everyone,

there are a lot of projects running and I would like to have a tool to manage/coordinate the projects so that I won't loose the overview and the deadlines. The communication with my colleagues should also be easier and clearer.

What tools do you know or use for your localization/translation projects? Can you please also provide some arguments why are you using that particular tool?

Thanks.

All the best.

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:47
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
I make good use of Excel Feb 16, 2011

I only use Excel at the moment. For these purposes, some important features are the following:

- Conditional formatting: when using this, cells with for example overdue payment or delivery dates are coloured red, making them easy to see.
- Filtering: helps me view only the rows/projects I need to see, for example projects with a certain status ongoing, waiting to start, finished and so on).
- Find functions: I number all my invoices and projects, and by using automatic m
... See more
I only use Excel at the moment. For these purposes, some important features are the following:

- Conditional formatting: when using this, cells with for example overdue payment or delivery dates are coloured red, making them easy to see.
- Filtering: helps me view only the rows/projects I need to see, for example projects with a certain status ongoing, waiting to start, finished and so on).
- Find functions: I number all my invoices and projects, and by using automatic means to find the highest invoice or project number, I can select the next highest number without conflicts.
- Data validation: I use it to restrict the cell contents to certain values. This is important when I set or change the status of a project; I use a limited set of well-defined statuses and don't want to allow anything else.
- Links: in the cell with project numbers, I place a link to the project folder. In the cell with invoice number, I place a link to the invoice (usually a PDF file).

Whichever system you use, make sure that IT IS EASY TO UPDATE THE INFORMATION! I cannot stress this enough -- if the information is not current you will soon become lost.

The requirements change a lot if more than one person is updating the information. In such cases, conditional formats and data validation are your friends.
Collapse

rma (X)
rma (X)
TOPIC STARTER
excel is not a bad idea when working alone, but... Feb 16, 2011

...but when working in a team, and for every project there are other team members, this makes it impossible to use excel. I also use excel for projects when no one else is involved, but me.

Any other ideas or suggestions? something easy to implement and use, and if possible free, so that all involved parties have access to it. does something like this exists or am I dreaming?

AWSALLES
AWSALLES
Brazil
Local time: 20:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Projetex, Translation Office 3000 Feb 16, 2011

Check this out: http://www.translation3000.com/Products/Software_For_Translators.html

The Projetex solution may be too expensive, but maybe Translation Office 3000 would meet your needs.

My 3 cents.

André

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tools for localization/translation management/coordination

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »