Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 9, 2011

Dear all

I have another question regarding TO300. If a client sends me a translation project with let's say:

1345 new words at EUR 0.08
234 fuzzy matches at EUR 0.04
166 reps at EUR 0.02

Euros 0,08, 0,04 & 0,02 are the standard rates for that client. Is there any suggestion for input that info somewhere to create an accurate invoice? I handled it converting the fuzzy matches and reps to a percentage and using CATcount. But I believe there sh
... See more
Dear all

I have another question regarding TO300. If a client sends me a translation project with let's say:

1345 new words at EUR 0.08
234 fuzzy matches at EUR 0.04
166 reps at EUR 0.02

Euros 0,08, 0,04 & 0,02 are the standard rates for that client. Is there any suggestion for input that info somewhere to create an accurate invoice? I handled it converting the fuzzy matches and reps to a percentage and using CATcount. But I believe there should be an easier way to handle it. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Kind regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:57
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
The simpliest way Sep 9, 2011

is to calculate the price elsewhere and enter it as a "flat rate" for invoicing purposes.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:57
Spanish to English
Agree with Natalie Sep 9, 2011

I second that emotion

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:57
English to German
+ ...
"fuzzy business" Sep 10, 2011

Just want to tell you that I strongly disagree with the practice of lowering rates for fuzzy matches and reps.
It is used by agencies to exploit translators and if you simply accept and/or use it automatically every time you use a CAT tool, you are selling yourself cheap.
I realize this is simply a technical question here but the fact that everybody here simply accepts and uses it, makes me shudder.

Even if you had to accept it in the past because you needed a project, w
... See more
Just want to tell you that I strongly disagree with the practice of lowering rates for fuzzy matches and reps.
It is used by agencies to exploit translators and if you simply accept and/or use it automatically every time you use a CAT tool, you are selling yourself cheap.
I realize this is simply a technical question here but the fact that everybody here simply accepts and uses it, makes me shudder.

Even if you had to accept it in the past because you needed a project, we all need to get away from that!

Bernhard

[Edited at 2011-09-10 23:58 GMT]
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:57
English to Russian
That's not that difficult Sep 10, 2011

I am afraid, I disagree with Natalie. TO3000 allows you to use standard CAT leverage rates for automatic calculation and invoicing. You do it the following way:
1. Go to Main Menu> Settings> Business Settings > Groups of Services
Click "New" and create a group of services for each of the separate rates. I have created the following:
CAT No match
CAT Fuzzy (75-99%)
CAT Repetitions and 100% matches

You can break the last into separate groups, e.g. "CAT R
... See more
I am afraid, I disagree with Natalie. TO3000 allows you to use standard CAT leverage rates for automatic calculation and invoicing. You do it the following way:
Click "New" and create a group of services for each of the separate rates. I have created the following:
CAT No match
CAT Fuzzy (75-99%)

You can break the last into separate groups, e.g. "CAT Reps" and "100% Matches"

One of my clents pays me for the "CAT Reps" and "100% Matches" the same rate (25% of the full rate), while another still splits the hair again, e.g. he pays for the 100% matches, but does not pay for confirmed 100% matches (this is what in Studio is called "context matches").
After creating these group of services you go to
2. Menu> Settings> Business Settings > Services and create services. I use the following
Translation
Editing
Proofreading
3. Now you must enter the units you will use in calculating cost of job. Go to Settings > Volume units
We usually use "words" which can be source words (SW) or target words (TW). So, fill in the names of the units you will be using in calculations of invoices with all the clients.

FILLING IN THE RATES DATA IN THE CLIENT FILE
You are nearly done. Now go to Menu> Client> Prices and select "New". A dialogue box will open with group, service and units.
When you fill the fields, you got it.
Now you won't have to bother with the calculations for your invoices.
It sounds a bit complicated, but once you do it for one client, you won't have problem in doing it for all of your clients.
Advice: use short words for hour (HR) and sourc/target word (SW/TW) because the fileds in the invoice template are rather narrow and the invoice will look much tidier with all the entries taking just one line.
I hope that will help you.

[Edited at 2011-09-10 09:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-10 09:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-10 09:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-09-10 15:42 GMT]
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
No need to disagree Sep 10, 2011

Alexey Ivanov wrote:
I am afraid, I disagree with Natalie. TO3000 allows you to use standard CAT leverage rates for automatic calculation and invoicing.

Of course, you may use all TO300 features in full, and that's great. My suggestion is just the simpliest way, as clearly indicated. Very useful for occasional jobs or occasional outsourcers.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Deleted because I didn't read the original post properly... Sep 10, 2011

[Edited at 2011-09-10 13:27 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 10, 2011

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

TO3000 allows you to use standard CAT leverage rates for automatic calculation and invoicing. You do it the following way:
CAT No match
CAT Fuzzy (75-99%)

You can break the last into separate groups, e.g. "CAT Reps" and "100% Matches"

Thanks! I've already applied your suggestion. It was what I needed to know.

All suggestions are valid. Sometimes is better to provide a flat rate.
Bernhard: rates shown were ficticius and only used as example to illustrate my point. Thanks for your concern.

Regards

Clarisa

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Agreed Sep 10, 2011

[quote]Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Even if you had to accept it in the past because you needed a project, we all need to get away from that!

I fully agree with this posting. This fuzzy matter is an invention of people who do not know at all what a translation is and do not realize, that most of the origial texts are badly written and merely understandable.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:57
English to German
+ ...
fuzzy kind of deal Sep 11, 2011

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Bernhard: rates shown were ficticius and only used as example to illustrate my point. Thanks for your concern.

Regards

Clarisa

Hi Clarisa.
You are referring to my first posting that I deleted. My main point is however that I disagree on the lowering of rates for "fuzzy matches" and "reps", no matter how little you get paid for "no matches". Also see my other posting above.

Here is that first posting of mine again as a reference:

"Clarisa,

How do you like the fact that you get paid half for fuzzy matches and an insulting 0.02 for reps?
Do you have to make sure fuzzy matches just match in a "fuzzy kind of way" or accurately?
Do you simply copy and paste "every" repetition or does your CAT Tool insert it automatically (that's great - how much did that tool cost you?)
Do you spend less time on proofreading these fuzzy matches and even half of that time proofreading the reps?

I just want your opinion. Please don't tell me that's how it is these days, because we translators are the ones that are exploited by this "fuzzy" business practice."

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Dear all Sep 11, 2011

May I remind you, that the topic is about invoicing using TO3000, and NOT about pricing. Please kindly do not stray from the subject.

Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing "no matches" and "fuzzy matches" at TO300

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »