Software for Four In-House Translators
Thread poster: Jocasta
Jocasta
Local time: 18:36
German to English
Sep 21, 2011

Stepping into the world of CAT has been a bit of a shock. I have been a traditional-style translator for 5 years, but have recently started working in an academic research facility part-time, along with 3 other part-time translators, one of whom works remotely.

'The Man' has asked for information on software to ensure/ assist in consistency - many of the terms we use are very specific, and often 'self-made' translations for academic concepts/ elements that do not exist in English.

We are not challenged by formats (straight Word Document to Word Document), nor do we have very much repetition at all - which makes me think we need more an automated glossary.

Is this worth buying a software package? Or are there other alternatives?
I am rubbing my temples in bewilderment at the moment - any advice is appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely! Sep 21, 2011

Of course it is worth it!

We in the office are four people working for a relatively large number of customers with very specific terminology and wishes, and a server-based CAT tool has done wonders for us. We used workstation-based Trados 2007 licenses before, but have memoQ Server since 2009 and love it. It serves this kind of purposes very nicely, in terms of consistency, joint/simultaneous work, and overall quality.

I would certainly get in touch with the manufacturers, www.kilgray.com, so that you can explain your work and requirements and get information about how a server-based solution can serve your needs locally and also over the net for the online translator.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
terminology server? Sep 22, 2011

You certainly would be better off with a complete server-based CAT tool, but then the server version might be a budget compared to "only" a term server.

If you do not wish/cannot get a fully-fledged CAT tool. Kilgray's system is named qterm.

Of course, all major CAT makers have their own server-based terminology management systems.

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software for Four In-House Translators

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search