Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Advantages of using Perfect It
Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Joshua Wolfe
Joshua Wolfe  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
French to English
+ ...
exactly -- PerfectIt Canadian English style guide will catch these Oct 3, 2012

John Fossey wrote:

No, no, no, we celebrate Labour Day (not Labor Day) but we never buy tyres (only tires).

Exactly my point: the PerfectIt Canadian English style sheet will query Labor Day, tyre, and many more words that require correcting for Canada.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:12
German to English
+ ...
Nice tip Oct 3, 2012

I downloaded the trial version! Thanks for posting.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
PerfectIt stylesheet 'Convert US spellings to UK' Oct 4, 2012

Just wanted to mention that there is a very good stylesheet in the PerfecIt forums for localizing/localising US English into UK English.
'This custom word list has 1723 words which are spelled differently in British and American English. Import the list to PerfectIt to scan for US spellings and it will suggest the UK version. All ... See more
Just wanted to mention that there is a very good stylesheet in the PerfecIt forums for localizing/localising US English into UK English.
'This custom word list has 1723 words which are spelled differently in British and American English. Import the list to PerfectIt to scan for US spellings and it will suggest the UK version. All credit for compiling the list goes to http://www.tysto.com/articles05/q1/20050324uk-us.shtml.

Please don't think that this list will magically transform a document for you. It will NOT. The list was intended to highlight differences, not suggest preferences. And it requires caution to apply it - words like 'tire' are included in the list because the noun is spelled differently in the UK (tyre). However, if 'tire' is used as a verb, that should not be converted.'

http://www.intelligentediting.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12&sid=ee8e5e0109f98c215e54c172b6e6cef0

Michael
Collapse

Laurie Price
Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I downloaded the trial version awhile back Oct 5, 2012

and then, around two weeks into using the trial, I received an offer for a discount, so went ahead and bought it.

It's extremely useful for me since I work as a proofreader and a copyeditor, and sometimes I miss proofreading types of errors when focusing on editing tasks, etc. and especially when working on a very long projects -- a book manuscript -- it's a marvel at routing out all of the inconsistencies (hyphenated vs. non-hyphenated versions of a word, numbers spelled out or wri
... See more
and then, around two weeks into using the trial, I received an offer for a discount, so went ahead and bought it.

It's extremely useful for me since I work as a proofreader and a copyeditor, and sometimes I miss proofreading types of errors when focusing on editing tasks, etc. and especially when working on a very long projects -- a book manuscript -- it's a marvel at routing out all of the inconsistencies (hyphenated vs. non-hyphenated versions of a word, numbers spelled out or written as numerals, percent signs, etc.).

Highly recommended and well worth the price.

Another wonderful invention that has nothing to do with Perfect It is Carbonite -- a back up system that backs up in the background, all the time, to a cloud. No more forgetting to back up documents ... Phew! ... and also very reasonable priced.
Collapse

Naomi Fillmore
Naomi Fillmore
Australia
Local time: 03:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Installation Oct 26, 2012

I've just downloaded the demo trial version of PerfectIt but can't seem to get it to load inot Office 2007. I've followed the instructions in the quick-start guide and on the website, but the problem seems to be that when I click the perfectit button to enable it on word, it unchecks itsefl automatically.

Did anyone else have trouble intalling Perfect it? If so, how did you solve it?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:12
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Naomi Oct 26, 2012

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I would suggest asking for support at http://www.intelligentediting.com. When I contacted them about a (non-technical) problem, I received a very prompt reply and followup.

Albagros
Albagros

Local time: 20:12
English to Russian
no spelling and no other rules just for long texts Oct 27, 2012

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

It's very interesting. Thank you for advice.
The spelling and other rules are US or UK bound?

Answer from support service of http://www.intelligentediting.com:
"...PerfectIt is not a spell checker (you already have one of those). It's a consistency checker - designed to make sure that your text looks its best. Did you try it on a long document? That's where it almost always spots errors that other checkers don't catch..."

Helmaninquiel
Helmaninquiel
Local time: 19:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Verifika seems interesting Oct 27, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

It is indeed a great way to catch sneaky errors.

I would also suggest taking a look at Verifika (http://e-verifika.com/ ). Overkill perhaps, but when I want a text to be Perfect (which I of course always do;), or, more realistically, when I have the time, I run them both.

Whereas PerfectIt focuses on consistency within one language, Verifika is a QA tool that checks bilingual files.

Michael

I have never head about Verifika, but I am going to invest on it.
Thanks for sharing

Antje Matthaeus
Antje Matthaeus  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just for English? Nov 6, 2012

I'm trying to find out whether it works just for English or other languages as well. I could imagine it does but I'd like to be sure. Does anyone know?

Susanne Hemdorff
Susanne Hemdorff  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
PerfectIt and Online Checker - working only with English? Nov 6, 2012

I just received this answer from Intelligent Editing. I asked the same question Antje did plus I asked whether I could run the free program Online Checker (that works with PDF-files unlike PerfectIt that does not) and PerfectIt at the same time.

"Thanks for writing. PerfectIt doesn't work with PDFs because it works with Word. But you're right - you can always use both the online checker and PerfectIt. Moreover, one user recently pointed out to us that actually this isn't an issue be
... See more
I just received this answer from Intelligent Editing. I asked the same question Antje did plus I asked whether I could run the free program Online Checker (that works with PDF-files unlike PerfectIt that does not) and PerfectIt at the same time.

"Thanks for writing. PerfectIt doesn't work with PDFs because it works with Word. But you're right - you can always use both the online checker and PerfectIt. Moreover, one user recently pointed out to us that actually this isn't an issue because it's easy to convert PDFs to Word and there are lots of free tools that do that for you. We'll have to add something about this to our site.

As for languages, we'd love to get PerfectIt working in multiple languages. However, it's just English for the moment. In the meantime, you may still be able to benefit from some of PerfectIt's checking.
PerfectIt has reduced functionality in other languages, but it does work. It varies a little with each test the software carries out:
- Some of the tests won't work (e.g anything related to spelling).
- Others will produce good results but there will be a small loss of accuracy due to false postives (e.g. hyphenation and capitalization).
- Some will work fine (bullet and table capitals and punctuation).
- Custom styles should work but we haven't tested this in detail."
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:12
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a mixture Nov 6, 2012

I just tried using PerfectIt on a Dutch document. One of the things PerfectIt checks is numbers written in digits versus in words. When I indicated I preferred the digits, the program came up with a number of occasions where the Dutch word "ten" appeared (e.g., "ten einde"), so obviously in that case the program was "speaking English". It did a good job picking out different spellings of the same or similar word, hyphenation, capitals, and punctuation (e.g. a list of 3 items with a semi-colon an... See more
I just tried using PerfectIt on a Dutch document. One of the things PerfectIt checks is numbers written in digits versus in words. When I indicated I preferred the digits, the program came up with a number of occasions where the Dutch word "ten" appeared (e.g., "ten einde"), so obviously in that case the program was "speaking English". It did a good job picking out different spellings of the same or similar word, hyphenation, capitals, and punctuation (e.g. a list of 3 items with a semi-colon and the 4th item with a period). So I think you can use it but with care.Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Thank you, Albagros Nov 7, 2012

Albagros wrote:

Answer from support service of http://www.intelligentediting.com:
"...PerfectIt is not a spell checker (you already have one of those). It's a consistency checker - designed to make sure that your text looks its best. Did you try it on a long document? That's where it almost always spots errors that other checkers don't catch..."

Already the user.
From now on the PerfectIt check becomes my mandatory step before pressing Print (Save) button. Proofreading is currently my main job.
I hope that I find the time to read more about handling various style-sheets (all possible English and Italian [?]) in the forums.

Evgeny Pobegalov
Evgeny Pobegalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Auto backup services Mar 12, 2013

Laurie Price wrote:

Another wonderful invention that has nothing to do with Perfect It is Carbonite -- a back up system that backs up in the background, all the time, to a cloud. No more forgetting to back up documents ... Phew! ... and also very reasonable priced.

To those interested in auto backup, I'd also advise to look at Mozy Online (which I've been using for about 1.5 years) - seems to offer the best storage/price ratio and has a flexible controlling interface.

Silvio Picinini
Silvio Picinini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other languages Jun 24, 2013

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I just tried using PerfectIt on a Dutch document. One of the things PerfectIt checks is numbers written in digits versus in words. When I indicated I preferred the digits, the program came up with a number of occasions where the Dutch word "ten" appeared (e.g., "ten einde"), so obviously in that case the program was "speaking English". It did a good job picking out different spellings of the same or similar word, hyphenation, capitals, and punctuation (e.g. a list of 3 items with a semi-colon and the 4th item with a period). So I think you can use it but with care.

I tried to use it in Brazilian Portuguese, and it basically works for checks that are not language specific. I created a test file containing "Hewlett Packard" and "Hewlett-Packard" and the tool indeed pointed it out.
They also provided an example with rules in style sheets to prompt if it finds "part time" and you prefer to use "part-time". You can create the same rule for terms in your language. I created and it worked. So it seems that you can customize it for your language a little.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advantages of using Perfect It

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »