How can I transcribe audio to text (Word) to translate from hard copy?
Thread poster: lisa kramer taruschio
lisa kramer taruschio
lisa kramer taruschio  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:03
Italian to English
Jan 4, 2013

I have a request for a translation of an audio/video clip. Does anyone know how to convert audio to text (preferably to Word) so that I can translate the hard copy? Or have any suggestions? This is pretty urgent. It is a 7 minute narrative, if that means anything. HELP. Thanks.

REHAM HUSSIEN
REHAM HUSSIEN  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:03
Member (2010)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Hi Lisa Jan 4, 2013

I think the best and accurate way to transcribe, I use it myself, is to listen to the audio file and write what you listened to then start the translation. I hope this would be helpful.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:03
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
"Transcription" Jan 4, 2013

You listen to the audio in workable segments, and then type the out source text. How else? There is no magic "turn this recorded audio into Word" software.
Options:
1. Transcribe it yourself, or
2. Hire a transcription service (cheap, compared to translation) or
3. Translate directly from the audio (easiest if nobody actually needs the transcript and you can't outsource it - why do two steps when you can do one?)

lisa kramer taruschio
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Seems there is magic Jan 4, 2013

[quote]Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

You listen to the audio in workable segments, and then type the out source text. How else? There is no magic "turn this recorded audio into Word" software.
Options:
1. Transcribe it yourself, or
2. Hire a transcription service (cheap, compared to translation) or
3. Translate directly from the audio (easiest if nobody actually needs the transcript and you can't outsource it - why do two steps when you can do one?)

I did some more research and Found this on another forum topic:

Frank van Thienen
Canada
Local time: 00:59
(9 hrs behind you)
Member (2010)
Dutch to English
English to Dutch
There are various software packages out there that can help you, I'm sure. The first one that comes to mind is Express Scribe. This is transcription software that allows you to change the speed (with a simpler system than Audacity). Footpedal control is also possible, but if you don't have one of those, F9=play, F4=stop, F7=Rew and F8=FF. There is a free version, which may suit you just fine:
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html

Another package I'd highly recommend is Dragon Naturally Speaking. While you're listening to the audio, you speak the transcription into your microphone and Dragon will type it out for you. I use Dragon on a daily basis for normal translation work as well. It really speeds up your productivity. A small investment for a huge return.

As for the time signatures, I believe they can be managed by subtitling software, but I haven't got into that racket as it seems that most jobs are grossly underpaid.

Speaking of pay - you'll have to add a surcharge to your standard per word rate, to compensate for the extra time and effort. An additional 60-100% might be in order. Your standard rate should only apply to typed out digital documents that can be imported into your favourite CAT tool. Any additional effort requires a surcharge.

I've done a bit of transcription work and what I do is charge for each minute of audio, rather than per word. If the transcription also needs to be translated, then I add my regular translation rate.

By the way, there's absolutely no need to feel humiliated when a client asks you something you've not done before. If something like this happens to me, I'll use it as an opportunity: explore the options and keep track of time and effort spent to complete the job. Determine your rate from that and see if you can market that newfound skill. If not, hey, you've learned something.

HTH
Frank

And it works. Thank you, Frank.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
lisa kramer taruschio
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Transcription--listen, pause, start Jul 10, 2013

Probably I wasn't very clear in my original request. I am looking for software like dictaphone devices or like Scribe which allow me to listen to the text and pause and restart the listening as I type. Duh. Thanks anyway.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Scribe Jul 11, 2013

ltaruschio wrote:
ltaruschio wrote:
I have a request for a translation of an audio/video clip. Does anyone know how to convert audio to text (preferably to Word) so that I can translate the hard copy? Or have any suggestions? This is pretty urgent. It is a 7 minute narrative, if that means anything. HELP. Thanks.

Probably I wasn't very clear in my original request. I am looking for software like dictaphone devices or like Scribe which allow me to listen to the text and pause and restart the listening as I type. Duh.

I'm glad you found Scribe -- it is really the best free solution out there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I transcribe audio to text (Word) to translate from hard copy?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »