What Adobe program do I need...?
Thread poster: xxxTadzio
xxxTadzio
English to Spanish
Oct 23, 2004

I have Adobe PageMaker 6.5, and sometimes I produce Adobe Acrobat Reader (pdf) files via PageMaker/Distiller without any problem.
But the case is that I want to generate a pdf file that cannot be copied or reproduced, neither printed.
Can you guide me please on what is it I need to accomplish this?
Thanks in advance,
Tadzio.

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:23
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Go to File Oct 23, 2004

then "Document Properties" and set whatever security level you like.
As to printing- any security level will help you none, if someone will process your file, say, via Finereader- he will be able to print the result.

Actually, if you indeed want to make your document actually inaccessible, about only way is to zip it with the password and then zip the zipped file again- and again with password...
Because- anything that can be viewed (listened), can be copied. It is just plain logic and a matter of techniques (and many record companies spend millions to beat it- but to no avail- as I said it already- it’s only a matter of techniques). The simplest method to any adversary will be "Print Screen" method, but there are little so low advanced people around, most, if interested, will find much more convenient way to overstep limitations you set.

Sorry, that's the reality.

BTW, Just try typing "PDF password breaker" in Google- I got 17,300 hits.

Uldis

Tadzio wrote:

I have Adobe PageMaker 6.5, and sometimes I produce Adobe Acrobat Reader (pdf) files via PageMaker/Distiller without any problem.
But the case is that I want to generate a pdf file that cannot be copied or reproduced, neither printed.
Can you guide me please on what is it I need to accomplish this?
Thanks in advance,
Tadzio.

Aleksandr Okunev
English to Russian
Depends on what you really need Oct 24, 2004

Tadzio wrote: I want to generate a pdf file that cannot be copied or reproduced, neither printed.

If this is your client's requirement, you should do as already explained (File - document security)

BUT ----- If you need 'real' protection.

Protection of Adobe PDF is removed by a number of software packages, the contents of the file is retrieved by several softwarez too.

HTH
Stay well
Aleksandr

samehme
United States
Local time: 10:23
English to Arabic
+ ...
Get FOPEN Oct 24, 2004

Hi,

You can use a plugin called FOpen, which will set the security setting to whatever you want. Cut, Copy and Paste can be disabled, Printing can be disabled, but Print Screen will be active and image copies can be made and printed. Of course, you will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat for that.

Try the Adobe website for Acrobat plugins and search for FOpen, as I cannot recall their website.

Good Luck,

Sameh

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:23
German to English
If it's for a client, it's his/her problem Oct 24, 2004

You don't want to assume the responsibility for your client's security issues. What if, for example, you password-protect a file for a client and three years later you're contacted for the password? Are you willing to keep track of that sort of thing?

I once had a client who made me sign a confidentiality agreement indicating that I would destroy all files after 3 months. I didn't have a problem with that, and just before erasing the files and shredding the hard copies, I contacted the company to make sure that they had everything backed up. I was assured that they had no need of any additional copies, that everything was archived. With that assurance, I deleted the files from my HD, shredded the hard copies of the original documents and erased the backup floppies (indeed, the files were still potentially recoverable, I suppose, but since no one had access to my computer, this was not an issue).

Several years later I received a frantic call: they couldn't find any copies of the files I had translated. Could I help them out? I reminded them of the confidentiality agreement and was off the hook.

My point is that you're responsible for the security of the document until you deliver it to the customer (assuming no one hacks into your computer. If the document is that sensitive, it should be removed from your HD after delivery). The use it is put to after that is the client's worry, not yours.
Kevin

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I'd like to add Oct 24, 2004

that "erase" function in Windows doesn't actually erase the file (except if you're low on disk space, then Windows will write new file over old "erased" one.) AFAIK, "Erase" function erases your file name from FAT (File Allocation Table) - you can think of it like if in a library- you can destroy the physical catalogue card listing the book and describing on which shelf it is located, but it doesn't affect the existence of the book itself in the slightest. True, after deleting the file name from FAT table, Windows doesn’t see it any more. But Linux does... (been there, done that).

Uldis

Kfulton wrote:
If the document is that sensitive, it should be removed from your HD after delivery). The use it is put to after that is the client's worry, not yours.
Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What Adobe program do I need...?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search