What software to create a simple database (clients info and projects)
Thread poster: Maïlys Marquay
Maïlys Marquay
Maïlys Marquay
France
Local time: 10:15
English to French
+ ...
Aug 7, 2014

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find the best way to create a simple database for a small translation agency. What kind of software would you use? We just want to have all the information on our clients and about our projects.

Does anyone can help?

Thank you

samehme
samehme
United States
Local time: 01:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
MS Outlook Business Contact Manager Aug 7, 2014

Hi,

If you own MS Outlook, you may try MS Outlook Business Contact Manager Add-on. It's free (as long as you have Outlook), and there are many versions compatible with the correspondent Outlook versions:

Check this link on M
... See more
Hi,

If you own MS Outlook, you may try MS Outlook Business Contact Manager Add-on. It's free (as long as you have Outlook), and there are many versions compatible with the correspondent Outlook versions:

Check this link on Microsoft webiste:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/DownloadResults.aspx?q=outlook%20business%20contact%20manager&First=1&ftfreeandpaid=Free

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Sameh
Collapse

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 04:15
English to Spanish
MS Access is an option Aug 8, 2014

Hi Mailys,
You could try MS Access. It's a database application that is part of Microsoft Office.
It's a very robust software with a slightly steep learning curve.

Another more advanced option is mysql/PHP. This is a very complete free web server database application. It requires a great deal of configuration and programming skills, but it can accessed through a web browser from within your local network.

Hope this helps.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Office Friend and Translator's Friend Aug 8, 2014

http://www.puse-sl.de/friend-produkte/

I use the Translator's Friend version of this and am really pleased with what it can do for me.

There is a really great database integrated for all your business contacts.
You can make offers and then transform them into orders.
Document delivery and send off the bill and document payment.
For translators you can li
... See more
http://www.puse-sl.de/friend-produkte/

I use the Translator's Friend version of this and am really pleased with what it can do for me.

There is a really great database integrated for all your business contacts.
You can make offers and then transform them into orders.
Document delivery and send off the bill and document payment.
For translators you can link it to your clients to store all client related data such as particular style sheets etc.

At the end of the year, all financial data can be exported to integrate into your accounting software.

I now don't lose any of those small orders that very often used to fall under the radar and I ended up not billing!. This software has proved a real financial lifesaver for me.
Collapse

Maïlys Marquay
Maïlys Marquay
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 11, 2014

Thank you all for your replies, I'll have a look at Access I think. In the meantime, if you have more suggestions, feel free.

Mailys

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Why not Aug 11, 2014

considering special software for this purposes?

Take a look at http://www.translation3000.com/Translators_Software/Project_Management.html , for example.

Natalia

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 15:15
English to Indonesian
+ ...
LibreOffice Aug 12, 2014

There are lots of free relational databases (MySQL, SQLite), but why don't you give LibreOffice a try? LibreOffice is an office suite comparable to MS Office, but it comes standard with a database. It's relatively easy to set up, and you can download templates for it.

Ver
... See more
There are lots of free relational databases (MySQL, SQLite), but why don't you give LibreOffice a try? LibreOffice is an office suite comparable to MS Office, but it comes standard with a database. It's relatively easy to set up, and you can download templates for it.

Very promising is HyperNext, a continuation of good old HyperCard. Less promising is that I've been trying to download it for three days now, and my registration still hasn't been approved...

Both apps are "free" and cross-platform (though HyperNext isn't available for Linux anymore).

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2014-08-12 02:47 GMT]
Collapse

DriveSoft
DriveSoft
Bulgaria
My Visual Database Aug 12, 2014

http://myvisualdatabase.com/

Like MS Access but free and easier.

samehme
samehme
United States
Local time: 01:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
It all depends.. Aug 14, 2014

It all depends on what you mean by a simple database, your purpose for using it, and whether the person who will be handling this (database) has design and/ or development experience.

Thus,

1. For database design and development, then MS Access or other DBs are very good options. But, this will require design, UI design, development and later learning the package that is created.
In other words, this will take very long time.

2. Though, already made S
... See more
It all depends on what you mean by a simple database, your purpose for using it, and whether the person who will be handling this (database) has design and/ or development experience.

Thus,

1. For database design and development, then MS Access or other DBs are very good options. But, this will require design, UI design, development and later learning the package that is created.
In other words, this will take very long time.

2. Though, already made Software Packages are easy to learn, and require a small amount of investment, and the learning time is minimal. Some examples of these are already listed below in the posts.

samehme wrote:

Hi,

Check this link on Microsoft webiste:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/DownloadResults.aspx?q=outlook%20business%20contact%20manager&First=1&ftfreeandpaid=Free

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Sameh
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What software to create a simple database (clients info and projects)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »